The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Looking forward to this and hoping to not have to udgrade my system, currently VBC is working trouble free on my Intel Mac, 10.6.3 PT HD 8.0.4 system
Old 4th April 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Sorry I've been out of it guys.. I was walking down the street yesterday and some guy tried to put a bag on me. It was weird.

Anyway, here is updated news:

Still tweaking the harmonic characteristics of the FG-116 FET Comp to match the hardware behavior 100%. Our goal is to make this the absolute most authentic digital version of this famous compressor that you've ever heard, and we are damn close. The real hardware gets very noisy with heavy compression.. not to worry, we're gonna have a noise on/off button.

I can't say any dates right now, but I can say that there will be a nice little surprise regarding the VMR that you'll hear about soon.

Cheers,
Steven
Have we figured a price as well, I hope the VCC is coming out with it!
That would be a huge surprise and the best!

No dates, smart choice!

I wasn't interested but, if it's something that I can't resist like the VBC or the VTM then I'll buy.

Hopefully it comes out before the SSL stuff. I'm look at get that as well.
Don't want to get both though. I've been cutting down big time and I'm very happy. I've only purchased about 4 to 5 plugins since January.

Resist Marc, resist!!!

Thanks Steven,

Marc
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't say any dates right now, but I can say that there will be a nice little surprise regarding the VMR that you'll hear about soon.

Cheers,
Steven
When is it soon?
Old 6th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
When is it soon?
Wel... ehh... On 17th October 2013:

Quote:
I do realize that we have a reputation for long waits between announcements and releases, but I don't think this will be the case for VMR.
I love the products. But for becoming a great company Slate Digital needs more than just developing great products.
Old 6th April 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

I have it on good authority that they're currently busy working on their new "Hypernator" plug-in. As you would have guessed, its primary function is to generate hype, but also random product announcements and release dates. Apparently, the algorithms are so refined, they will completely null against any analogue equivalent from the 70s and 80s, e.g., announced breakthroughs in cryonics, cold fusion and manned missions to Mars.

Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks very much for this warm reception of this plugin. I do realize that we have a reputation for long waits between announcements and releases, but I don't think this will be the case for VMR.

Cheers,
Steven
Hahaha ...... This post was October 2013. And i bet there are more bugs than the floor of a dodgy Vietnamese restaurant.
Old 7th April 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

It's not bugs. Our new framework is quite amazing actually. The reason for delay is our desire for perfection, plain and simple.

I want everyone to go rent a Neve 1073 racked EQ. Drive signal into it with the line input cranked and listen to it distort. Now back it off and increase the mid band on a kick drum transient and listen to what happens in the midrange.. spoiler alert: there is a bunch of unique saturation, not just the sound of increased filters.

This is the magic analog mojo that never seems to get modeled. Well, that's not cool to us. We started modeling those characteristics last year and if I want to compare it in an A/B verse the real thing in front of the world's best engineers, which I plan to do, it has to be perfect. Every little piece of distortion, every magic essence caused by the harmonics as it saturates.. it has to be dead on.

So all I can say is that I appreciate the excitement that the VMR has caused, I apologize for rushing the announcement of it, and that when you finally hear it, I hope you'll think it was worth the wait.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 7th April 2014
Right on Steven...
Old 7th April 2014
Gear Head

Then i get VMR from you, i'll forget SSL Duende, UAD and Waves finally) So i think it's worth waiting for. :D
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear
One thing I like about the preview of the Mix rack are the colors in the units. I could use a little more color in at least some of the other slate plugins I own - FG-X, VCC, VTM, VBC, Trigger, SSD4. Just throwing it out there : )
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
One thing I like about the preview of the Mix rack are the colors in the units. I could use a little more color in at least some of the other slate plugins I own - FG-X, VCC, VTM, VBC, Trigger, SSD4. Just throwing it out there : )
I agree. I'd like for example RED from VBC to be more red. Grey could be grey
Old 7th April 2014
... and I always thought moaning about colors is a girls thing...
Old 7th April 2014
Gear Addict

Slate, I am getting more and more excited. If you pull this one of and get that much closer to a real 1073 sound, it would be awesome.

Take your time, in the mean time we have some other 1073's. Just make it perfect.
Old 7th April 2014
Oh god no. I think they look great the way they are. There's obviously some different colored ones in vmr. Slates got enough to worry about right now.
Old 7th April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
It's not bugs. Our new framework is quite amazing actually. The reason for delay is our desire for perfection, plain and simple.

I want everyone to go rent a Neve 1073 racked EQ. Drive signal into it with the line input cranked and listen to it distort. Now back it off and increase the mid band on a kick drum transient and listen to what happens in the midrange.. spoiler alert: there is a bunch of unique saturation, not just the sound of increased filters.

This is the magic analog mojo that never seems to get modeled. Well, that's not cool to us. We started modeling those characteristics last year and if I want to compare it in an A/B verse the real thing in front of the world's best engineers, which I plan to do, it has to be perfect. Every little piece of distortion, every magic essence caused by the harmonics as it saturates.. it has to be dead on.

So all I can say is that I appreciate the excitement that the VMR has caused, I apologize for rushing the announcement of it, and that when you finally hear it, I hope you'll think it was worth the wait.

Cheers,
Steven
You don't have to apologise to those of us here who truly appreciate what your trying to accomplish.

Rent a Neve 1073 rack EQ? You already know they aren't going to do that, because renting a 1073 even just to play around with would cost more than you will be charging for your plugin.

Plus they would eventually have to give it back.

Unlike some here, I would rather own a Neve 1073 rack EQ, even if it's a VIRTUAL CLONE.

Did you see that? I even got the point of you're recent video... Perfect Clones...

Take your time and get it right, who wouldn't want to own a perfectly cloned 1073 Neve rack EQ? If you succeed all of these gearsluts will be the first ones in line, starting with me.

Heres a soundcloud link to a song that's using VTM on all 32 tracks, VCC on all 32 tracks, and VBC on all the vocal tracks.

I love what your products do to my mixes, and I'm sure many others here do as well.

"Keep Givin It Up"

Keep Given It Up - Featuring Tha Sho-Shot Allstars by Sho-Shot Entertainment! on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

VMR is going to give you the most used recording equalizer (the Neve 1073) and the most used/famous mixing equalizer, the SSL 4000 all in one plugin. Not to mention the 1176 and the other compressor that I'm not sure of. Couple that with VCC, VTM and VBC and you have what guys in million dollar studios have. Incredible stuff.

If you can afford the Virtual Microphone System you'll be set even more and the chain (Expensive microphone>expensive preamp>expensive EQ>expensive converter>expensive recording console>Expensive tape machine>expensive mix console>expensive mix EQ>expensive buss compressor>expensive master tape machine>expensive brickwall limiter) is essentially complete.

All that's left is good room acoustics, quality instruments and talented musicians. 2014 is going to be a bad ass year for audio engineering.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post

All that's left is good room acoustics, quality instruments and talented musicians. 2014 is going to be a bad ass year for audio engineering.
Leave it to Slate to come out with the virtual Miles Davis plugin.
Old 7th April 2014
Jb2
Gear Nut

That's the setup makes waiting hard

Quote:
VMR is going to give you the most used recording equalizer (the Neve 1073) and the most used/famous mixing equalizer, the SSL 4000 all in one plugin. Not to mention the 1176 and the other compressor that I'm not sure of. Couple that with VCC, VTM and VBC and you have what guys in million dollar studios have. Incredible stuff.

If you can afford the Virtual Microphone System you'll be set even more and the chain (Expensive microphone>expensive preamp>expensive recording console>expensive EQ>Expensive tape machine>expensive mix console>expensive mix EQ>expensive buss compressor>expensive master tape machine>expensive brickwall limiter) is essentially complete.

Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChuck View Post

Rent a Neve 1073 rack EQ? You already know they aren't going to do that, because renting a 1073 even just to play around with would cost more than you will be charging for your plugin.
How much do folks think the VMR is gonna go for? I can't see it being less than $199. Likely more. You gotta find a new rental place if they're charging you that kind of money to rent a 1073.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
How much do folks think the VMR is gonna go for? I can't see it being less than $199. Likely more. You gotta find a new rental place if they're charging you that kind of money to rent a 1073.
Indeed good sir! A quick Google search found me this:

Advanced Audio - Neve 1073

Neve 1073, $35/day.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Neve 1073, $35/day.
That's about what I can rent them for.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
1176 are very very complex.

Cheers,
Steven
It seems only one company got the 1176 right. While I own several 1176 plugins, only 1 company has really nailed something special! While another company came close, the leading company has a sound that no other has.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

But yes the release!!! Its something about the knee on 1176 I can hear it holding the kick and the snare down, while at the same time allowing them both to smack the hell out of the speakers!

The other attempts at the 1176 only compress and were no better than stock daw compressors with 1176 GUI's...

I think someone sound regulate the BS!!!!
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Neve 1073, $35/day.
Lets all rent Neve 1073 for five days instead..
Old 8th April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Lets all rent Neve 1073 for five days instead..
Cool Leevi, a lot of guys here should just rent one like Slate suggested, so they can stop complaining about when the PLUGIN comes out.

Old 8th April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Someone here posted 35 dollars a day to rent a 1073 Neve EQ, for me, thats a great price until I have to give the unit back.

After 1 week even at that great price, I may as well buy the Slate Plugin and enjoy making music, any longer than that, and I may as well buy the unit.

Did you get that? Unit singular Neve 1073 EQ.

I would rather own the plugin, which is bundled with other great plugins,

and I don't mind waiting for Slate to get it right.

That's my point.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChuck View Post
Someone here posted 35 dollars a day to rent a 1073 Neve EQ, for me, thats a great price until I have to give the unit back.

After 1 week even at that great price, I may as well buy the Slate Plugin and enjoy making music, any longer than that, and I may as well buy the unit.

Did you get that? Unit singular Neve 1073 EQ.

I would rather own the plugin, which is bundled with other great plugins,

and I don't mind waiting for Slate to get it right.

That's my point.

Sure. I'm certainly not suggesting that having a 1073 in the short run is cheaper than buying an EQ plugin. Long run, it probably is because vintage 1073's seem to keep going up in value. Obviously a plugin has a whole host of mixing advantages, where the actual 1073 has a relatively narrow tracking advantage (narrow but so good....)

Anyway, Steven was suggesting getting your hands on a real 1073 to hear its complex saturation as an explanation for why it's taking so long to model. I like to get my hands on real gear so I can make my own comparisons and decide what's worth lusting/saving pennies for and what's not.

Just pointing out that it's usually pretty cheap to compare a plugin to its real counterpart if you're inclined to do so.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure. I'm certainly not suggesting that having a 1073 in the short run is cheaper than buying an EQ plugin. Long run, it probably is because vintage 1073's seem to keep going up in value. Obviously a plugin has a whole host of mixing advantages, where the actual 1073 has a relatively narrow tracking advantage (narrow but so good....)

Anyway, Steven was suggesting getting your hands on a real 1073 to hear its complex saturation as an explanation for why it's taking so long to model. I like to get my hands on real gear so I can make my own comparisons and decide what's worth lusting/saving pennies for and what's not.

Just pointing out that it's usually pretty cheap to compare a plugin to its real counterpart if you're inclined to do so.
Exactly! And what a pain in the ass running a bunch of tracks out of the D/A converter and then back into the A/D converter is. If the plugin sounds just as good then use the darn plugin!

What I always say on these boards is if the Foo Fighters, Adele, Black Eyed Peas, Taylor Swift, etc. were recording at my studio you bet I'd own a nice mixing board and a lot of nice outboard. But they aren't. So I cannot afford to spend money on that type of gear.

I'll take the next best thing and that's plugins that sound very close if not spot on with the real hardware. It's probably not the same as being able to record into my converters with the EQ in the signal path but that's something I'm not concerned with if the end product sounds fine.

The guys with the real/actual expensive fancy outboard gear are having their mixes destroyed by hypercompression at the mastering stage anyway so my audio ultimately sounds "better".

Now...what I'd love to see is a debate between Dave Gamble (DMG Audio) and Fabrice Gabriel in regard to plugin EQ development. Dave says saturation is a waste of time and it's all about the curves. Steven (on behalf of Fabrice) says otherwise. To my knowledge there aren't 1073 curves in EQuilibrium so we are all going to just have to wait and see. There are 4000 EQ curves though!
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

Steven, why did you decide to model 1073 instead of 1081?
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Steven, why did you decide to model 1073 instead of 1081?
It was 1073 with double mid band but a 1081 would be great in the futur
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 View Post
It was 1073 with double mid band but a 1081 would be great in the futur
I know bro. That made me wonder, because you dont need to add additional bands with the 1081 version
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search