The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Addict

On a less stupid note, I know you guys have the raven wich is probably a great product, but I would love to see a dedicated hardware control with real knobs made for the vmr. A la Console one but rethinked for the vmr.
Old 20th February 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 View Post
On a less stupid note, I know you guys have the raven wich is probably a great product, but I would love to see a dedicated hardware control with real knobs made for the vmr. A la Console one but rethinked for the vmr.
The VMR is made for touch. I'm of the opinion that tweaking the actual plugin GUI and actual knobs is the most logical and efficient means of control. When I tweak hardware in a rack, I tweak the actual knobs. The same goes for the virtual gear.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Maniac

I may be being a dullard here (under-used word)...but is the red EQ going to have models of 6 comps or 2 comps? And would they be as adjustable as their real-life counterparts? I am a bit confused....
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Maniac

sorry I meant the red 'comp' not eq.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear
Hi Steven , im super excited about this product and was wondering if you have a better idea of when it will be released. next week? i hope
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

I'm almost sure it's not even in beta yet.

Good things take time. Great things even more.

But I agree, the wait is also killing me heh !
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear
Hi Steven, little off topic here but i was wondering if you could give your thoughts on this. The latest soundtoys plugin, the microshift now allows users to register it to their ilok account but doesn't require a physical dongle. It look like they will do this with their other plugins shortly as well. I have a good feeling they will get even more sales because of this as alot of people don't like having to use a dongle. IMO this is a brilliant move. Is this something you would consider for your products as well? i guarantee you would get more sales too.
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
The VMR is made for touch. I'm of the opinion that tweaking the actual plugin GUI and actual knobs is the most logical and efficient means of control. When I tweak hardware in a rack, I tweak the actual knobs. The same goes for the virtual gear.

Cheers,
Steven
I guess touching the actual plugin must be great.
I'll have to try it myself.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
Hi Steven, little off topic here but i was wondering if you could give your thoughts on this. The latest soundtoys plugin, the microshift now allows users to register it to their ilok account but doesn't require a physical dongle. It look like they will do this with their other plugins shortly as well. I have a good feeling they will get even more sales because of this as alot of people don't like having to use a dongle. IMO this is a brilliant move. Is this something you would consider for your products as well? i guarantee you would get more sales too.
Please no! I foresee this new iLok method being cracked within the year. They should have never made this possible.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Please no! I foresee this new iLok method being cracked within the year. They should have never made this possible.
i guess time will tell but if it does work well then that would mean no more dongle which i and many others would be greatfull for. Having a dongle permanently attached to your computer sucks, and when you break it or lose it or look at it the wrong way you have to buy another, and then another
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I don't think this affects iLok, itself, or its vulnerability.

It's just SoundToys providing their own method, with the added security of an iLok-based "initial" authentication.

Pretty clever, actually. (If I understand it correctly)
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

I think it is strange that this new plugin is "made for touch control".
I mean, there are KNOBS on the plugin.
The gui reprensents what have always been adjusted with knobs.
Have high hopes for the plugin, but "made for touch control".
It has knobs on it..
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture View Post
It has knobs on it..
This gets me thinking what if all analog modeled plugins came with a hardware controller. We'd be right back to a studio full of racks of hardware except the boxes would be empty and just be controllers but we'd have the look and feel of an analog studio. Kind of funny.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture View Post
It has knobs on it..
Did you ever notice some plugins' controls don't turn properly when you make a circle on their knobs with your mouse? They respond to an up/down or left/right movement but if you were to touch them on a touchscreen it wouldn't work properly. That's PROBABLY what is meant by "made for touch control".
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
This gets me thinking what if all analog modeled plugins came with a hardware controller. We'd be right back to a studio full of racks of hardware except the boxes would be empty and just be controllers but we'd have the look and feel of an analog studio. Kind of funny.
I would love a solution like that
But it is very inpractical and beyond any logic imo.

My point is only that if you emulate the gui of hardware like api, neve, ssl etc that is based around turning knobs. It feels natural to adjust those knobs with knobs.
For more intuitive/different plugins that is based on other ways to control the gui it makes sense with touch control.
Just my thoughts.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Where are the samples?
Old 23rd February 2014
Lives for gear

I have a tendency to only use solo tracks and only do the stereo/5.1/7.1/etc on the final buses off of the stems(this creates problems with your other products since many them only support stereo tracks). So vmr is looking perfect for my flow which looks to me as pretty much mono tracks. With vcc integrated, about the only other thing I'd need with vmr is a vtm(or something like the neve 542) and distressor, in a solo track mode. I appreciate the difficult work u guys are doing in doing full simulations while minimizing algorithm cheats.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, I have decided to hold my breath untill vmr is out!
Beginning in 3,2,1...
Do you look like this now?

Old 25th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Do you look like this now?

Lol.
Well, I heard they were beta testing in heaven, too bad I went strait to hell!
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol.
Well, I heard they were beta testing in heaven, too bad I went strait to hell!
Good to know they have internet connections there

I wonder how soon the VCC update for VMR is gonna be released?
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Nut

Slate, any updates on release timing for this?

How is progress with the final compressor going?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Steven seems to be on the honeymoon with the VMS :(
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Wondering when we'll get an update about that one ...
Old 2nd March 2014
The Slate Sound of Silence?

Quote:
Juuuuust got back in town, and I will absolutely make sound examples and A/B's with the hardware.

Cheers,
Steven
Quote:

Gonna post some examples soon.

Cheers,
Steven
Quote:
I'll reveal those twists soon with some actual audio examples which will be more fun than talking about them.

Cheers,
Steven
Quote:
I'm gonna post some demos soon.

Cheers,
Steven
Quote:
It's on track for a January release. When that happens, I will be sure to post numerous comparisons with the hardware that it models to prove that it is a 100% authentic replication of the sound of the circuit.

Cheers,
Steven
Quote:
While I'm not sure we can get it beta tested and released by NAMM, I can say that the Brit N equalizer is done and I'd be glad to post some examples so you can compare with the Waves, which I'm sure is great.

Cheers,
Steven
Quote:
I'll also finally get to posting some sound examples.

Cheers,
Steven
Quote:
I can post some clips soon.

Cheers,
Steven
Quote:
I'll also try to post demos.

Cheers,
Steven
Isn't it time time to tickle the ears?
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Ha. Nice one.

Don't hold your breath....
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear
This is nothing new guys. Slate has done this with every release, so why the surprise? I'd honestly expect release between April and June, and later wouldn't surprise me either. I also wouldn't hold my breath for new modules either. Slate is great at over-promising when it comes to updated modules (where's that new VCC console) and features (quite a few open feature requests for VTM and VBC), but delivery on those promises has historically been at a snail's pace.

Slate puts out great plugs, no doubt. But they've all been hyped for months, been delivered months late, and have open feature requests or promised updates that we still keep hearing "soon" on (going on for years now in some cases-like that VCC console). IK Multimedia used to be the same way, now they just release updated T-Racks or Amplitube modules with little to no pre-hype, and everyone is happier for it. Hopefully Slate gets there too.

Ignore the hype, wait for release, demo,and make your purchase decision on what the plugs do at the time you demo them, not on what they may do "soon."
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
This is nothing new guys. Slate has done this with every release, so why the surprise? I'd honestly expect release between April and June, and later wouldn't surprise me either. I also wouldn't hold my breath for new modules either. Slate is great at over-promising when it comes to updated modules (where's that new VCC console) and features (quite a few open feature requests for VTM and VBC), but delivery on those promises has historically been at a snail's pace.

Slate puts out great plugs, no doubt. But they've all been hyped for months, been delivered months late, and have open feature requests or promised updates that we still keep hearing "soon" on (going on for years now in some cases-like that VCC console). IK Multimedia used to be the same way, now they just release updated T-Racks or Amplitube modules with little to no pre-hype, and everyone is happier for it. Hopefully Slate gets there too.

Ignore the hype, wait for release, demo,and make your purchase decision on what the plugs do at the time you demo them, not on what they may do "soon."

Exactly. Even the new products come out later than anticipated. Steven is a student of the "Book Yourself Solid System" (even if he doesn't know it) and I can guarantee you the hype pays off. If the products didn't deliver in quality, which is a key to the BYSS, they wouldn't. The ONLY reason a lot of people put up with the marketing aspect of things is because of the quality of SD plugins.
Old 2nd March 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

We get very excited about new products no doubt. We try to launch new product announcements at one of the three big tradeshows. We always attempt to keep up with our estimated release dates.

But sometimes the fun kicks in. With the VMR, it was adding tons of new features to the compressors that will ultimately make it a better product for you to make music. Am I sorry that we didn't release it already? Yes. Am I certain that it was for the best and overall the product will be better now? Yes.

So there ya go. And VCC 6th console will be featured in the new AAX VMR module version that we are finishing now. And it's killer. Sorry it took so long, building a company over the past few years since the VCC's release was harder than expected!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So there ya go. And VCC 6th console will be featured in the new AAX VMR module version that we are finishing now. And it's killer. Sorry it took so long, building a company over the past few years since the VCC's release was harder than expected!
What model is the console? SSL 4000E?
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

Steven, really appreciate the dedication you and Fabrice have. Mind sharing a status update?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search