The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I own VCC, VTM and VBC and I probably won't be getting this. Ever since I got SonEQ Pro- for $50!- I really don't need another EQ. That thing reminds me so much of my trusted, hardware Massive Passive (reluctantly sold it) that I don't want anything else!

I'll definitely try a demo though. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind. Slutty like that.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Steven,

I have a question. Does this plugin make VCC redundant in some ways? Because of the fact that these also model the analog circuitry.

Meaning, if I open the SSL EQ emulation in this new product and keep the knobs set to flat, will that give the same sound as the similar VCC emulation?
I'd say no. Let's consider we are trying to emulate an analog signal path.
Just as in the "real" world, one would mix through their console, where that character imparts itself. Then one typically would use outboard processing or eq or compressor which adds its own bit of color. It's having the faith in this accumulation of character, phase interactions, frequency changes, distortions, that add to the final outcome. It should really be no different here going through the VCC and adding to it the other Slate "outboard" processing. It's keeping to that; to that signal flow.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Just take my money, no need to torture anymore

I have 2 questions though:
- Will the compressors have sidechaining?
- Will it be possible to use VTM inside the rack?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
ETA?
Soon......
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
So basically this is a chainer.

I have wanted to work this way for ages.

Good job on this concept.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

And pretty smart from a marketing point of view. It's Slate's "own" rack, so people will be buying future modules from Slate, because they fit in the rack
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
ETA?
Here we go...

When he says soon, we know it won't be out for another 6-8 months. Let's not even wait, it will be better for everybody.
When it will be out the wallets will be waiting heh
Old 17th October 2013
Very good concept, can't wait to try this out.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Apart from the slight annoyance with regards to updating older plug ins (Yeah!I read the statement on that), this is very exciting news I have all the Slate products and will definitely be adding these... Once again they've done something kinda clever (not new) by creating what looks like a virtual 500 module rack. And although IK have a plug in rack this seems way more elegant. Nice!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Steven,

I have a question. Does this plugin make VCC redundant in some ways? Because of the fact that these also model the analog circuitry.

Meaning, if I open the SSL EQ emulation in this new product and keep the knobs set to flat, will that give the same sound as the similar VCC emulation?
It's like asking to a big studio with a million dollar console if they don't need any outboard gear, the answer is in the sluttyness of the studio owner. Maybe "redundant" is what you need for a particular effect?...
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Couldn't hear much what the video was all about. The hyper-chain was set to unbearable levels again. Let me include to say that I think the Slate crew makes some great plugins and the GUI's look amazing. (to bad its all ilok, so I'm not buying any unfortunately) but please lower the level of exaggerating with 50%. It just makes it all so less believable imo.

If software can be as good as hardware (or better, whatever that may be) then why always the emulation? Why not come up with something "revolutionary" new. Something that can stand proud on its own feet besides leaning on something that it probably will never beat. I'll bet this generation can build much tools then back in 70/80/90'. Otherwise its more evolution to me then revolutionary. (which doesn't mean its bad of course)

Anyway.. thats just my opinion (who gives right) Love to see some Slate ilok free plugins in the future.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Slate VMR

Wow check it out!
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Plugin platform
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

500 series style
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Why did the other thread about this disappear?

Anyway, looking forward to the release so I can find out what it can do for my mixes! An SSL EQ that totally sounds like the real deal is tempting! I'm using the Waves SSL channel but only for the dynamics, not that much impressed by the EQ department of it to be honest.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswitch View Post
If software can be as good as hardware (or better, whatever that may be) then why always the emulation? Why not come up with something "revolutionary" new. Something that can stand proud on its own feet besides leaning on something that it probably will never beat.
That's the thing -- these are new. At least the comps are. Going from memory, the 401 FET comp + St. Ives. Not a straight emulation by any means. Should be a cool US/Brit comp hybrid.

I dig how Steve and Fabrice take classics and Slatify them.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict
I was waiting for Slate to get up to EQ plate! I hope hope hope that Nebula was used as the competitive reference for these EQs (especially since a 1073 and various SSL channels are available libraries).

I'm stuck in a horrible tug of war battle between Nebula's totally dominant EQ sound quality and it's $%&house workflow and efficiency.

SAVE ME FROM NEBULA, STEVE! PLEASE!
Old 17th October 2013
GMR
Lives for gear

If this is as good as all the other plugs I bought, VBC VCC VTM ...this will surely complete the lineup....hope this come fast !!!!
Old 17th October 2013
Soooo, is there a Slate DAW somewhere on the "things-to-do" list? Somethings gotta connect those touch screens with these plugins.
Old 17th October 2013
Mmm the last slate plugin to be announced for a conference took an age to come out - will be interesting to see how long this takes to come to fruition.

Wouldnt mind a 64 bit version of FG-X for my Mac either...but I'll try this...always interesting to compare...
Old 17th October 2013
Looks like a great product. Can't wait to try it!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigitalgod View Post
i would much prefer that each piece be a single plug
+1... have all the Slate plugs but HATE this kind of workflow (as I do with IK and other host/shells) I don't like how you can't see what's on the channel without going in to the "HOST" and don't like the inflexibility of not being able to insert other, in this case non-slate, plugs to the chain without multiple VRM instances... unless you WILL be able to use them stand-alone in which case I'll shut up heh

My 2 cents but I don't want to look up at my Channel Inserts and see something like
  1. VRM
  2. PRO-G
  3. VRM
  4. VTM
  5. VRM

I'd much rather it say (so I had some idea of what was going on)
  1. VCC
  2. FG-S
  3. PRO-G
  4. FG-116
  5. VTM
  6. FG-N

but I'm am looking forward to demo'ing it... early 2016?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
It's like asking to a big studio with a million dollar console if they don't need any outboard gear, the answer is in the sluttyness of the studio owner. Maybe "redundant" is what you need for a particular effect?...

Steven answered my question, but parts of it may have been misunderstood. Obviously people mixing on an SSL msy want to also use outboard of other brands/types. As for redundancy, another analogy for my question would be that that if I'm going through 2 identical simulations, then it could potentially be like (in the real world) going through an SSL board, and then going through another SSL board right after that.

But based on Steven's answer, that's not the case anyway.
Old 17th October 2013
I think these strips can work if they produce enough good inserts. In that sense you can have them all in a line rather than opening separate plugins...I wonder if they will do a VTM one also...
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Where is the HP filter on the "SSL" EQ?!!!! It's essential! There's tons of space on the bottom next to the LP filter.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

I've just ejaculated everywhere.

Again.
Old 17th October 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Bill View Post
Where is the HP filter on the "SSL" EQ?!!!! It's essential! There's tons of space on the bottom next to the LP filter.
I think you mean the reverse. The FG-S has a high pass filter.

As for low pass filters, we're gonna make a module that is dedicated to that, and will have several curves/models so you can easily audition what is best for your particular track... Or use several at once!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 17th October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
As for low pass filters, we're gonna make a module that is dedicated to that, and will have several curves/models so you can easily audition what is best for your particular track... Or use several at once!
Genius! Make one for high pass too. The more options, the better!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

what's the point of a plugin with plugins?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search