The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
This is true. The problem is that some people (myself included) don't like the pronounced mid/hi-mid bump that the FG-MU imparts. And that puts us in the unthinkable spot of having to choose a different compressor and use that one instead.

How dare they!
I detect sarcasm.

Glad there are other compressors without messing up my EQ. But would be actually nice to use the MU once in a while, since I paid good money for it to get the SSL and RED. Wish they would have sold those separately, since I have no use for the MU.

Options people, options! Nothing wrong with them.
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture View Post
If you miss "the legendary awesome everlasting low price ever business" sale.
It will still last a month.....
I was a bit surprised for that too. I thought the big sale would last only a couple of days but now it seems to be a whole month. Not that I needed to buy plugins but I could see many people rushing.
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
I was a bit surprised for that too. I thought the big sale would last only a couple of days but now it seems to be a whole month. Not that I needed to buy plugins but I could see many people rushing.
Are you talking about the Black Friday Slate Digital sale? It only did last a few days. There is a December sale but it's not as great as the Black Friday sale was. For example:

VBC: $149 vs. $179
FG-X: $79 vs. $99
VTM: $99 vs. $149
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Are you talking about the Black Friday Slate Digital sale? It only did last a few days. There is a December sale but it's not as great as the Black Friday sale was. For example:

VBC: $149 vs. $179
FG-X: $79 vs. $99
VTM: $99 vs. $149
Yep I was talking about it. Thanks for correcting me, I was remembering that the amounts were very much the same
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Yep I was talking about it. Thanks for correcting me, I was remembering that the amounts were very much the same
No problem. VTM was going for a steal!
Old 12th December 2013
Brb
Gear Addict

i hope to some api gear modeled in upcoming vmr modules and some more neve and ssl stuff as well
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb View Post
i hope to some api gear modeled in upcoming vmr modules and some more neve and ssl stuff as well
My guess is they will complete there VCC console emulations with futur modules.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 View Post
My guess is they will complete there VCC console emulations with futur modules.
Sounds like a good plan to me if they go this route .
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Well Eric Valentine likes FG MU. Producer Eric Valentine - Pensado's Place #141 - YouTube
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
Well I like the MU compression too, a lot!

Notice I said compression. What´s not to love about it? It´s great! BUT unfortunately this plugin is unusable (for me), because of the radical EQ curve. A shame really, ´cause it doesn´t have to be this way in a digital age.

This is why this "analog worshipping" is destructive. Waste of great potential to make great plugins! Wish the developers would see that!
Old 13th December 2013
Gear Addict

A pulteq module with completly variable frequency and boost/cut on every frequency a la softube grand channel would be great! And to gearnerd, I feel your pain man but maybe it's time to move on? No disrespect intended.
Old 13th December 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

The fact that Eric Valentine, one of the industry's brightest talents and also one of the biggest fans of analog tone likes the FG-MU on his entire mix speaks volumes, and is a testament to the craftsmanship of Fabrice Gabriel.

And I like that idea about the pultec

Cheers,
Steven
Old 13th December 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

The fact that Eric Valentine, one of the industry's brightest talents and also one of the biggest fans of analog tone likes the FG-MU on his entire mix speaks volumes, and is a testament to the craftsmanship of Fabrice Gabriel.

And I like that idea about the pultec

Cheers,
Steven
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
This is why this "analog worshipping" is destructive. Waste of great potential to make great plugins! Wish the developers would see that!
I wish you would see that this is just your opinion and not everyone feels the same. In fact, you're in the minority here, at least in this thread.

1) A lot of people really like the analog-like mojo of the FG-Mu.
2) It being so limited (versus having a ton of options - like turning off the mojo) is part of the charm.
3) As this is a component modeled plugin, there's a chance that by removing the portions of the circuit that provide the color, you could also be removing the aspect of the compression that people like. In short: a colorless version may not even be possible without adversely effecting the compression characteristics.
4) Me, I love the fact that it boosts the mids the way it does. Works great on piano, guitars, vocals.
5) I sympathize with someone not liking that however, which means, this wouldn't be the compressor to use when you don't want the mids boosted.
6) Most importantly: everything I wrote above is my opinion. It's ok if you feel otherwise. Notice how I'm avoiding overly broad statements about how everyone should just feel the same way I do.
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear
Steven,

You mentioned VCC eventually getting ported over to VMR (for existing customers), but are there plans for VBC and VTM too? Conversely, will VMR modules also work as independent plugins a la VBC?

It looks like you're developing a platform/environment you can easily expand upon and allow for users to make "in-app" type purchases of new gear, but limiting the plugin dimensions to replicate lunchbox modules seems like it would damper what makes sense to put in that platform. Whereas if this were just a "Slate-shell," you'd be able to throw in things like the VBC comps without having to completely redesign their UI's.
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I wish you would see that this is just your opinion and not everyone feels the same. In fact, you're in the minority here, at least in this thread.

2) It being so limited (versus having a ton of options - like turning off the mojo) is part of the charm.
3) As this is a component modeled plugin, there's a chance that by removing the portions of the circuit that provide the color, you could also be removing the aspect of the compression that people like. In short: a colorless version may not even be possible without adversely effecting the compression characteristics.
4) Me, I love the fact that it boosts the mids the way it does. Works great on piano, guitars, vocals.
5) I sympathize with someone not liking that however, which means, this wouldn't be the compressor to use when you don't want the mids boosted.
6) Most importantly: everything I wrote above is my opinion. It's ok if you feel otherwise. Notice how I'm avoiding overly broad statements about how everyone should just feel the same way I do.
On that note I work in the video industry here and there and guess what camera is shooting a lot of popular TV series and movies? A very simple camera design from ARRI called the Alexa.

Prior to the Alexa coming out digital cameras were quite complicated. ARRI understood and heard the demand from professionals that they wanted something simple and somewhat limited like a film camera. It CAN get complicated if you want it to but those options are buried in the menus or with outside software that interfaces with it. It is currently one of the most popular cameras in usage now and into the foreseeable future.

A lot of people do not like "smart phones". They just want a phone, like back in the "old days" (13 years ago) that made a phone call without having to go through a bunch of steps. Apart of analog's beauty is its simplicity and limitations. The LA-2A compressor has two knobs and is loved by many/expensive to this day. Older still camera designs are coming back in vogue as well.

http://www.pdnonline.com/gear/Camera...jif-8980.shtml

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ni...tro-8C11539042
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
All great opinions and ideas were in the minority at first.

Quote:
Great. Let them have it and let me and others have our clean option. Win win!

Quote:
Now this sort of thinking I just don´t get other than it´s just simply backwards thinking. Option would not hurt anyone. I think people who like the "mojo (= predetermined EQ curve)" would even love the clean option in many cases.

Quote:
Of course it is possible. You just bypass the EQ curve. And if Fabrice is so amazing, then this would be a small tweak for him.

Quote:
Good for you, but in my books you didn´t get the EQ right in the first place to your piano, guitars and vocals. Or you just don´t know how to EQ them if you have to use a predetermined EQ curve.

Quote:
I think any compressor that alters my EQ radically is a bad compressor. Compressor should be a compressor.

Quote:
Great, these are just my opinions as well and they always have been. Or do I have to write IMO after every sentence? People get offended so easily with simple opinions.

Quote:
A lot of people do not like "smart phones". They just want a phone, like back in the "old days" (13 years ago) that made a phone call without having to go through a bunch of steps.
Oh really? Where are those bright people? Because in the old days you had to take many more steps to make a phone call than now. In my understanding everyone wants a smartphone and everyone probably already has one. I had few friends who were agaisnt smartphones at first and just wanted "a phone". Now they all have smartphones and love that they have internet and email (and other goodies) on their hands.

Same goes for plugins. We need to think forward, not backwards.

Quote:
Apart of analog's beauty is its simplicity and limitations. The LA-2A compressor has two knobs and is loved by many/expensive to this day.
LA-2A is a ok compressor. At least it doesn´t have a predetermined radical EQ curve that makes it unusable.
Old 14th December 2013
Gear Addict

Wait, am I. In the vbc thread?
Anyway, hope you are still on schedule for january.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

MU having a predetermined EQ curve is a same thing if an EQ plugin would have a predetermined EQ curve, but only it´s worse since it´s a compressor so you have to put another EQ instance to cut some mids and add some bass, but it isn´t the same anymore, the audio has been degraded.

Hopefully VMR won´t have a predetermined EQ curves! Because that would ruin the plugins totally!
Old 14th December 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
MU having a predetermined EQ curve is a same thing if an EQ plugin would have a predetermined EQ curve, but only it´s worse since it´s a compressor so you have to put another EQ instance to cut some mids and add some bass, but it isn´t the same anymore, the audio has been degraded.

Hopefully VMR won´t have a predetermined EQ curves! Because that would ruin the plugins totally!

There is a vbc thread where you can complain if you want but please stop complaining here. It's getting old already.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good for you, but in my books you didn´t get the EQ right in the first place to your piano, guitars and vocals. Or you just don´t know how to EQ them if you have to use a predetermined EQ curve.
What the hell...

Quote:
Oh really? Where are those bright people?
Just there, ask my mom about it .

Quote:
LA-2A is a ok compressor. At least it doesn´t have a predetermined radical EQ curve that makes it unusable.
An OK compressor ? According to the majority of audio professionals, that's an understatement. Or is that a joke ?
Old 15th December 2013
Lives for gear
You clearly don't understand how certain circuit designs can impact frequency response. I highly doubt that Fabrice and Slate said, "hey, let's add a simple bell filter in the signal path to boost the mids." If so, then it would be easy to turn off. Instead, the mid bump is likely the result of the transformers they've modeled in the signal path. Taking the transformers modeling out may not be easy and could have more sonic impact than just altering the frequency response.

You don't like it, fine. Go away then. Slate and co clearly aren't interested in changing it and it's his company. That means you're never getting your wish so let it go already.
Old 15th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
An OK compressor ? According to the majority of audio professionals, that's an understatement. Or is that a joke ?
No joke. It´s a one trick pony. Very little you can tweak. 1176 is a much better compressor for example.
Old 16th December 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
No joke. It´s a one trick pony. Very little you can tweak. 1176 is a much better compressor for example.
And an 1176 is a very colored box, so all those folks who like 'em must've really screwed something up on the front end, right?

The FG-MU ain't a one-trick pony, but it's simple and tough to screw up. Very much like an 1176 - sometimes it's the right tool, sometimes it's not. You pick another tool and you move on.

I'm not gonna pound nails into my deck with a rubber mallet am I? Of course not. It's the wrong tool for the job.

Can we please end this debate now?

As a side note, a lot of folks like one trick ponies like the LA2A or the Sta-level or any number of one-of-a-kind gov't relics. They may work only on one or two things, but that's where they shine. I don't expect to use an LA2A on a snare drum, but that doesn't mean it's worthless come time for vocal tracking.
Old 16th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNagurka View Post
And an 1176 is a very colored box, so all those folks who like 'em must've really screwed something up on the front end, right?
1176 and MU are very different.

1176 maybe colored, but not in EQ. It doesn´t have this dramatic predetermined EQ curve that MU has, so I can actually use the 1176 on many things! Nuff said.

Quote:
The FG-MU ain't a one-trick pony, but it's simple and tough to screw up.
Yep, very easy. I just open it and my audio is screwed.

Quote:
Very much like an 1176 - sometimes it's the right tool, sometimes it's not. You pick another tool and you move on.
1176 is very versatile. Very good on many audio sources and it doesn´t mess with your EQ.

Quote:
As a side note, a lot of folks like one trick ponies like the LA2A or the Sta-level or any number of one-of-a-kind gov't relics. They may work only on one or two things, but that's where they shine. I don't expect to use an LA2A on a snare drum, but that doesn't mean it's worthless come time for vocal tracking.
Agreed. I like one trick compressors like the LA-2A, but I don´t like non-trick compressors like the FG-MU.

Quote:
Can we please end this debate now?
Yes we can.
Old 16th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh really? Where are those bright people? Because in the old days you had to take many more steps to make a phone call than now. In my understanding everyone wants a smartphone and everyone probably already has one. I had few friends who were agaisnt smartphones at first and just wanted "a phone". Now they all have smartphones and love that they have internet and email (and other goodies) on their hands.

Same goes for plugins. We need to think forward, not backwards.
That depends on how you define old days. I'm talking about when cell phones became semi-affordable for the everyday man...sometime around 1999 I had my cell phone brick. You dialed the number and hit the call button...done.

On my current phone I have to press the unlock button, slide the touchscreen to unlock (or double tap the unlock button), press the phone button, dial the number then press the call button. Or if the number is in the phone it's still a 5 step process vs. 2 steps. That brick phone used to also get a signal when my colleague's phones had no signal.

Some of these "smart" phones won't allow you to change the flippin' battery. You've gotta be kidding me! ALL of my cell phones allow you to have more than one battery in case it dies at an inopportune moment. When charging these smart phones their display stays on...reducing the lamp life of the screen. I'm not sure if you can turn that off (I don't own a smart phone) but that's a little annoying.

Some of these phones are a joke with their memory space as well. My old 2008 phone (which I will use until it breaks) can use removable memory cards. A memory card slot, you say? Not on some smart phones. THAT is backward thinking!

Most smart phones also don't have an actual keypad...just a touchscreen one that is a bit cumbersome. I can send text messages faster than my fellow smart phone compadres and it FEELS more naturally to type with a physical keypad. I could go on but I won't further belabour my points. Autocorrect on by default? Yep.
Old 16th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
That depends on how you define old days. I'm talking about when cell phones became semi-affordable for the everyday man...sometime around 1999 I had my cell phone brick. You dialed the number and hit the call button...done.
Dial the number? You really dialed the numbers as in pushed the number keys on your 90´ brick cell phone?

I had one of those bricks, I never "dialed" the number.

Quote:
On my current phone I have to press the unlock button, slide the touchscreen to unlock (or double tap the unlock button), press the phone button, dial the number then press the call button. Or if the number is in the phone it's still a 5 step process vs. 2 steps. That brick phone used to also get a signal when my colleague's phones had no signal.
Wow! Sounds difficult, I´m sorry for you.

On my iPhone I can just one button once and say "call NAME".

Or I can open the phone with one button push + swiping once (two quick steps just like in the 90´), open the phone app and push a NAME. And don´t tell me the contacts list were easier to navigate in the 90´!

Quote:
Some of these "smart" phones won't allow you to change the flippin' battery.
Good!

Quote:
Some of these phones are a joke with their memory space as well. My old 2008 phone (which I will use until it breaks) can use removable memory cards. A memory card slot, you say? Not on some smart phones. THAT is backward thinking!

Most smart phones also don't have an actual keypad...just a touchscreen one that is a bit cumbersome. I can send text messages faster than my fellow smart phone compadres and it FEELS more naturally to type with a physical keypad. I could go on but I won't further belabour my points. Autocorrect on by default? Yep.
Why don´t you just get an iPhone and make your life easy. It´s the best phone ever built. Period.
Old 16th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Why don´t you just get an iPhone and make your life easy. It´s the best phone ever built. Period.
Lol...that just told me everything I needed to know about you and what your opinions are worth.

Thank you.
Old 16th December 2013
Gear Addict

Fith module

Just Watched a video on Youtube, I think it was a gear addict interview with slate where he talked about maybe putting a fifth module in the vmr. My guess would be the filter module he talked about but this is just speculating. But if he does it, would be great.
Old 16th December 2013
Here for the gear

Steven

Will there be a Slate reverb and delay in the future?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search