Thread detailed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
yea..umm...and derailed

Can't wait for VMR audio samples!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
If sound were "everything" there wouldn't be so many engineers whose software purchases are dictated by whether or not the product requires ilok.

Obviously sound is the biggest motivator for most people, but ergonomics, stability, ease of use, reproducibility, cpu efficiency, client perception, and yes, even what method of copy protection is used are all big factors too. Let's not be naive and think you can reduce it to a single point.

For me, real faders still do it best. i like to close my eyes and dial things in that way. A standardized controller would be great. Sooner or later someone will come up with one.
To be clear, I interpret "everything" in this context to mean "most important", and I stand by that. More important than iLok, CPU efficiency, ergonomics, etc... My clients' perceptions are based on sound too, so sound remains king. To each their own.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Here's a list:

1. Infrared Touch Tech vs Projective Capacitive
2. 20ms response vs 5ms response
3. Steel industrial frame
4. Commercial grade no heat panel with 5x the amount of hours
5. Mac OSX compatibitly
6. RAVEN CONTROL SOFTWARE to make DAW multi-touch and more
7. Nanoglide 2mm surface vs plastic

Cheers,
Steven
Thanks Steven this info is very important to me and I'm sure others as well. :-)
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
To be clear, I interpret "everything" in this context to mean "most important", and I stand by that. More important than iLok, CPU efficiency, ergonomics, etc... My clients' perceptions are based on sound too, so sound remains king. To each their own.
Sound is very important! But its not everything. What I mean by that is, you don't need the best gear to get world class results.

I went from $1000+ plus mics down to 2 $400 dollar mics and I'm happier than ever. I would've kept my Neumann, Blue Blueberry and a few others. My tracking sound better that ever these days.

Once you achieve a certain level of quality, the rest is in your hands.

Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
Sound is very important! But its not everything. What I mean by that is, you don't need the best gear to get world class results.

I went from $1000+ plus mics down to 2 $400 dollar mics and I'm happier than ever. I would've kept my Neumann, Blue Blueberry and a few others. My tracking sound better that ever these days.

Once you achieve a certain level of quality, the rest is in your hands.

Then that would be "the gear is not everything."

The results are the sound.

Sound is everything.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

IN terms of one to one hardware control, all I have to say on that matter is

Liquidmix

I have been using the Neyrinck for about a year now and have sold my MCU and Novation Nocturn.

I would give my left arm for a Raven, but cannot justify expense, however having moved to the paradigm with neyrinck I can happily say it is for me the future, and the VMR will make life so much easier as I can bring it up on the Neyrinck Plugin window and control (almost) everything on one track. This will hugely improve my workflow if the EQ and Comps are any good. And even if not it will mean me having to flick between 1 or 2 windows per channel instead of 3-4. So pretty handy.

However I respect that some people will not be able to move away from truly tactile interface with knobs and faders, can you maybe accept that for some of us the advantages of this system outweigh the disadvantages.

I have a hybrid studio, I go in via a Analogue console and colour outboard pre's but I mix ITB because of the ease of Recall this gives me. In this situation Neyrinck and I imagine the Raven have given me back control without sacrificing the ability to recall a session.

I don't expect everyone to like the way I work, and the joy here is if you don't like it, then work your way, no one is forcing you to give money to Slate. I own trigger VTm and VCC as they fit my work flow, so far not been tempted by the compressor plug as I prefer the UBK1 there you go pick and choose its called a free market.

Well done Steve even if I don't buy all your plugins I like the fact that your trying to do something interesting each time.

G
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Really interested in hearing these plug ins.

Something I hate about plug ins is there lack of ability to really make the signal fat like a Neve 1073 or smooth like a Tube Tech CL1B.

Slate plug ins are one of the best plug ins out there and if they can color up the signal at least something like this

you got my money.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonis Martine View Post
Really interested in hearing these plug ins.

Something I hate about plug ins is there lack of ability to really make the signal fat like a Neve 1073 or smooth like a Tube Tech CL1B.
Sure they can. That's just modelling curves. What plugins don't do is depth. But your can create that in ur itb mix.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Then that would be "the gear is not everything."

The results are the sound.

Sound is everything.
How do you get sound without gear? Stupid post, we are talking about better gear to get better sound, which is subjective.

Sound is a marketing thing, I can pick plenty of hits that sound different, mixed by different people. I can also make great mixes with 90% of any semi pro audio interface on the market. This convo started because of an older interface(gear) was being used by good engineer.

Anyone here with skill can make a great mix(sound) with mediocre *****'. They do not 'Sound' as good, so I should say the 'BEST SOUND' everything.

So are you saying you need the best 'SOUND' or *****'?

Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
No its not, I can pick plenty of hit that sound different mixed by different people.

You will never understand do I'll let you think you need the best 'SOUND'.

I am not sure what you are saying, that wasn't super clear.

But, it doesn't how different, various songs sound like. The point is
there is a result, a net effect that yields "the sound" or an optimal
result for that song. It's always about the sound. There is nothing else
that we aim for; there is no other end result in audio but the sound.
It is sort of built into the name
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
I am not sure what you are saying, that wasn't super clear.

But, it doesn't how different, various songs sound like. The point is
there is a result, a net effect that yields "the sound" or an optimal
result for that song. It's always about the sound. There is nothing else
that we aim for; there is no other end result in audio but the sound.
It is sort of built into the name
I think we are on the same page then.

Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
How do you get sound without gear? Stupid post, we are talking about better gear to get better sound, which is subjective.

That's a rude comment.
He just said that the final sound is everything no matter what gear you use.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
That's a rude comment.
He just said that the final sound is everything no matter what gear you use.
You're right I went back and edited it as soon as I did it.

Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

In order to get everybody a bit more confused, I have a new theory, summed up with a simple formula: GEAR = SOUND.
In other words, gear and sound are the same things.
Hope that makes sense.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupiraille View Post
In order to get everybody a bit more confused, I have a new theory, summed up with a simple formula: GEAR = SOUND.
Hope that makes sense.
Nope!
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hope that makes sense.
Its about creatively shaping the song to best represent it to the target listeners. Classical music would get approach differently from hip hop at the very start.

Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hope that makes sense.
Gear = a sound.

It's a color or character; meaning, gear could be a
variable in arriving to a final result. But, of course
gear can be considered part of a sound however for
the most part when one can arrive at an optimal mix
through the means of various gear, differing from
engineer to engineer, "The Sound" or our final result is
what we implicitly are referring to which can be arrived
at with tons of gear, virtually no gear, plugins or whatever.
So for the sake of not arguing semantics, think of it this way:
a mix is always a result and culmination of the operator's efforts.

Gear is just gear, sitting there to be used as a means.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Sure they can. That's just modelling curves. What plugins don't do is depth. But your can create that in ur itb mix.
I'm not sure about that IMO.

I tried the Waves VEQ3 which is Waves 1073 emulation plug in and I dont hear any fatness whatsoever.

Also I seen a Tube Tech CL1B hardwarde vs software video on youtube and that software plug in doesn not smooth out anything IMO.

I tried the plug in myself and I dont hear no smoothing.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

I tried the Waves VEQ3 which is Waves 1073 emulation plug in and I dont hear any fatness whatsoever.

Also I seen a Tube Tech CL1B hardwarde vs software video on youtube and that software plug in doesn not smooth out anything IMO.

The veq is just the eq portion. The majority of phatness of the 1073 is the preamp portion which in not modelled in the veq. You r comparing apples to oranges.

Not sure what u mean smoothing out but the tube tech plugin was just okay. Besides the tube tech hardware is a very clean unit. Not phat. Try vcc on neve setting. Try adding distortion and harmonics plugins which is what colored pre amps add. Try vtm tape plugins.

Maybe u mean some other pleasing analog characteristic other than phatness which old analog heads like me have no trouble getting w plugins.
Old 26th October 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
The veq is just the eq portion. The majority of phatness of the 1073 is the preamp portion which in not modelled in the veq. You r comparing apples to oranges.

Not sure what u mean smoothing out but the tube tech plugin was just okay. Besides the tube tech hardware is a very clean unit. Not phat. Try vcc on neve setting. Try adding distortion and harmonics plugins which is what colored pre amps add. Try vtm tape plugins.

Maybe u mean some other pleasing analog characteristic other than phatness which old analog heads like me have no trouble getting w plugins.
I agree with this as well.
Also, a big issue is that people tend to push to much into the input of all these plugins.
Start around -18/-14db then start to A/B, you will notice a huge difference.
Thing is, when the plugin companies model these old unit's, they model them from an Analog -18db is 0 mentality.
So, when you are pushing -3db/-6db into a plugin, imagine pushing that same source into your hardware at a +15/+12db starting point and see how your hardware sounds.
It's a matter of learning how to push and pull the tools you have to sound the way you want them.

By the way, I think Waves did model the PreAmp unless your saying they modeled it going through the line input, bypassing the Mic Pre which I don't think they did but, I could be wrong. Also, that would be stupid for them to not model the most important thing about that unit.
I'll check again.
I don't love the 1073 version they did but, do like the 1081 they did.

Anyway, thought I'd add that in there as well.

Loved hardware, Love Software now.

Marc
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just gave VEQ3 a spin and boy does it suck! WAVES are not putting to much effort in there plugins IMHO.

Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanx for the advise, very appreciated!

Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just gave VEQ3 a spin and boy does it suck! WAVES are not putting to much effort in there plugins IMHO.

The Waves plugins were pretty bad IIRC. The last time I tried then was back in 2008...Give this plug-in a try: CDSoundMaster Audio Software

I'm interested in how the one in the Virtual Rack stacks up against it.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
See post #46

Cheers,
Steven
Hey Steven, the wonderful thing about the SSL channel strip is that you have everything you need on one panel / one insertion, including a HP and LP filter.

I think reaching for another module just for the LP filter is not such a great workflow idea. The beauty is having the HP and LP control next to each other - they are the first two things I reach for every time I instantiate the Waves SSL channel for example.

Just a thought.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Steven, in case you miss it, I made another thread for when the audio examples are ready: Audio example request: Slate VMR
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Is is out yet?
Has been busy as hell..

What are the reviews?
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture View Post
Is is out yet?
Has been busy as hell..

What are the reviews?
It's just an announcement.

It's scheduled to be released around january.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

another vote for HP AND LP filter on the SSL Eq.
They both are invaluable channel tools
and in times of high fequency shrillness the LP filter must be within hands reach.

Please make the St. Ives Transformer as a switchable option for all ssl emulations.
A transient slowing element is the last thing I want in an ssl circuit - I go for snap and punch.
If I want the Neve sound I simply can engage a neve module after.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search