The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 22nd October 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Sound and workflow... if I can get greenlights on both of those, then it's a win. The VMR on the MTi or MTX is the solution for me.

And since it was brought up... on the RAVEN, you can grab a fader or two, close your eyes, and put your hand anywhere on the screen where you feel comfortable to ride the faders by ear. I did this a lot at AES and made sure to tell people to post about it here, since it always comes up. We'll see...

Cheers,
Steven
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Sound and workflow... if I can get greenlights on both of those, then it's a win. The VMR on the MTi or MTX is the solution for me.

And since it was brought up... on the RAVEN, you can grab a fader or two, close your eyes, and put your hand anywhere on the screen where you feel comfortable to ride the faders by ear. I did this a lot at AES and made sure to tell people to post about it here, since it always comes up. We'll see...

Cheers,
Steven
Awesome. Don't get me wrong, I applaud you for bringing the Raven to fruition. All new ideas are just that until they eventually just become "the way". I didn't make AES this year but I'd love to get my hands on a Raven for a drive some time. I'm sure it's weird at first, but once you get the hang of it (like anything) it becomes comfortable. It certainly does away with a lot of the challenges making a universal hardware controller brings.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
This doesn't work in PT because the master inserts are post fader. You push a bunch of level into VCC, it saturates, you lower the master fader and you're just undoing what you did by raising all the individual faders. Yet another reason VCC needs an output trim....

Yes, it's OT, but you mentioned this so I'm responding. Add an output trim to that m&@#$$*&^%! Default volume boosts are so...Waves. And VCC sounds cool without being hardwired to trick the ear.

Ok, now back to this new plug no one's heard.

I hope it sounds amazing because I'm running out of UAD DSP and don't feel like buying more, but I will if I have to. Anything at the UAD level EQ and Comp wise you can put out will probably get my money.
Just keep the master fader at unity
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
This doesn't work in PT because the master inserts are post fader. You push a bunch of level into VCC, it saturates, you lower the master fader and you're just undoing what you did by raising all the individual faders. Yet another reason VCC needs an output trim....
I don't think I have ever needed an output trim on VCC. I just calibrate the VCC on the masterbuss to whatever's comfortable and mix into it from the start. The VCC plugin is also on the screen throughout the whole mixing process.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi Cube, I'm quite happy to say that I've got a few thousand RAVEN orders that prove your theory very wrong, and some of those orders were delivered to some high profile mixers who have given up the hardware faders because the efficiency of the RAVEN will help them make a better product. But anyway, you have your preference and that is fine. I think using a hardware controller rather than just touching the actual GUI is really disconnected and obstructive. Personally, I'll take a RAVEN virtual fader in FINE MODE to do a precise pass over any "chunky fader".. cuz I'm trying to get home for dinner

Cheers,
Steven
Its all good Steven. Not saying your stuff isn't good enough. Just saying that if you ALSO did an hybrid solution, of real faders+knobs with other sections in touch display, you instead of a "few thousand RAVEN orders" probably had a few tens of thousands orders.

I mean if I was that wrong about what I'm saying and be so isolated in my preference, then why would much bigger companies for whom sales are number one priority (not just a few thousands of them) are going all the way my path of thought? Native Instruments, Softube, SSL, AVID. Are we all that wrong? Would you sell less if the Raven or your plugs also had a proper physical (at least hybrid) controller?

Also I was clearly misunderstood on my previous remark about user experience and sound. Of course sound is priority and user experience follows. But then again being that the case, that doesnt mean a GUI on a screen is in fact better that a physical controller that looks as good as the GUI. In fact talking about "disconnected" and "obstructive", I think its a common sense that nothing is more that than looking at the computer screen when trying to mix or mastering or warever. So one more reason to NOT put your focus on the screen but rather on your focus device "chunky knobs"

If your raven had real faders and some knobs, I would buy it. This way I will just wait for Nucleus mk2 or Avid Artist Series mk2. I am not a high profile engineer. And i dont dive into a well just because they all do now. So one less sell to your thousands I guess. And I know many more think as I do. Not High profile engineers for sure I reckon

Having said that let me make clear I do love your plugs (actually I know FG himself and have talked with him about this before directly) and thats why its for me a shame you dont make alternative (not to say better) ways to interact with them.

All the best for your sales and looking forward to check VMR! And on that note the Siren D3's as well...as long as you dont put any touch technology to replace them

Cheerios
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Doesn't matter what steven propose you'll never be happy. I don't think he needs lessons on how to sell products. Steven develops what he likes and trusts in. The fact that you don't see the raven as an option for you in your work doesn't mean that it's the case for everyone and doesn't mean that it's not the future (or part of) of our industry.

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post

For me, real faders still do it best.
How can you narrow anything down to one person(you)?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mean like creating a level enhancer that is not based on peak limiting but rather transient specific saturation? Or like combine three different tube circuits to create a new kind of tube compressor plugin with a unique tone? Or how about taking the circuit of the most popular mixbuss compressor and adding one of the most famous class A transformer stages to create a new hybrid sound? Or how about taking classic mix compressor tone and adding a parallel mix knob to it so you can combine the wet and dry signal? Or what about taking the transformer saturation from a famous compressor and putting it on its own knob so you now have the ability to customize the drive? Or what about reinventing how the classic 'noise gate' works and creating a transient driven noise gate that can clean up drum tracks within seconds?

Oh wait...

Cheers,
Steven
Sorry buddy, but you missing the point here. Some of these features has already been implemented by other software companies and it's great that we see them in Slate digital too...

I think he was talking about inventing something out of the ekstra ordinary instead of all these emulations of already existing hardware.

What ever that might be..!
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 View Post
So you'll release the mono VBC and it'll already make 3 more comps .
For my workflow I prefere to use the units separately than in the rack (same thing with VBC) but it's maybe cause of the CPU use?
Agreed. While I love the idea of the VMR platform and how it creates a virtual flexible channel strip, it will be a huge bonus if you can use the modules as separate inserts without the 'rack'.

While there is a trick on Reaper to force the VBC comps to 'act like' mono comps by playing with the FX insert pins, I too am looking forward to the mono VBC versions.

And agree that done right... the mono VBC instances could/should drop into the VMR.

Not everyone is going to have a Slate RAVEN console... lol
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo22 View Post
Just keep the master fader at unity
You're missing what Steven and I were talking about. He was talking about how you can emulate a hard driven SSL by just pushing all the track faders up to saturate the 2 bus. You have to attenuate or you're clipping all over the place. You can't do this with a master fader whose inserts are post-fader. You have to use a trim plug after VCC for this.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
You're missing what Steven and I were talking about. He was talking about how you can emulate a hard driven SSL by just pushing all the track faders up to saturate the 2 bus. You have to attenuate or you're clipping all over the place. You can't do this with a master fader whose inserts are pre-fader. You have to use a trim plug after VCC for this.
My bad. Not a pro tools user.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamesJond View Post
I don't think I have ever needed an output trim on VCC. I just calibrate the VCC on the masterbuss to whatever's comfortable and mix into it from the start. The VCC plugin is also on the screen throughout the whole mixing process.
VCC gives you a gain bump even at unity. And if you want to drive it, one of the main points of the plug, you get a massive gain bump. Up to 8-10db. If you care about gain-staging, and I do, you gotta use a separate trim plug after VCC to bring it back to the right range so everything sounds its best.

It's also impossible to do an instant AB. The VCC is giving you a constant volume bump.

Anyway. I was only mentioning it because Steven brought up how he likes to hit the VCC 4k hard.
At some point it won't matter though because Steven just said they're adding an output trim.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo22 View Post
My bad. Not a pro tools user.
Gotcha. Yeah I don't get why PT doesn't let you choose pre or post on the master fader.

Also, I typed wrong (fixed it). PT's inserts are post fader, which is the problem for the "driven desk" thing.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Falcon View Post
Agreed. While I love the idea of the VMR platform and how it creates a virtual flexible channel strip, it will be a huge bonus if you can use the modules as separate inserts without the 'rack'.

While there is a trick on Reaper to force the VBC comps to 'act like' mono comps by playing with the FX insert pins, I too am looking forward to the mono VBC versions.

And agree that done right... the mono VBC instances could/should drop into the VMR.

Not everyone is going to have a Slate RAVEN console... lol
What is the point of making it act mono in Reaper? Nothing wrong with using a stereo comp on a mono source.

Quote:
VCC gives you a gain bump even at unity. And if you want to drive it, one of the main points of the plug, you get a massive gain bump. Up to 8-10db. If you care about gain-staging, and I do, you gotta use a separate trim plug after VCC to bring it back to the right range so everything sounds its best.

It's also impossible to do an instant AB. The VCC is giving you a constant volume bump.

Anyway. I was only mentioning it because Steven brought up how he likes to hit the VCC 4k hard.
At some point it won't matter though because Steven just said they're adding an output trim.
I've never seen an 8db-10db volume jump with VCC. Are you talking about using the Group Input feature?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath View Post

I've never seen an 8db-10db volume jump with VCC. Are you talking about using the Group Input feature?
I just put a single instance of VCC on a drum mic channel and raised the input all the way up. It's actually more than 10 db of gain. The "Output and VU" let's you lower the emulations globally, but only by 1 db. I don't usually turn the input all the way up, but on drums I sometimes do. It sounds awesome. Except now your levels are out of control.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe Steven should do an instructional video on how he implements his own products into his workflow - with all fx order, gain staging, pre/post trimming, etc in place. Would be good for the myriad of experience levels that I'm sure make up his customer base.
Old 22nd October 2013

Hi Kyle, I'm gonna do ya one better. I'm recording an EP and will upload the entire Pro Tools session with plugins for all to download and check out. Just waiting on VMR to complete the chain.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi Kyle, I'm gonna do ya one better. I'm recording an EP and will upload the entire Pro Tools session with plugins for all to download and check out. Just waiting on VMR to complete the chain.

Cheers,
Steven
That'd be sweet to check out... maybe a Reaper version too??

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just put a single instance of VCC on a drum mic channel and raised the input all the way up. It's actually more than 10 db of gain. The "Output and VU" let's you lower the emulations globally, but only by 1 db. I don't usually turn the input all the way up, but on drums I sometimes do. It sounds awesome. Except now your levels are out of control.
Ah yes. That's the reason I never use Group Input. I like to be able to A/B
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Maybe I just don't understand what you mean...

We are talking about the VCC Virtual Mixbus now right?

I had to open up an old session to test. The session had 55 tracks and the mix is peaking around just below -6 on the master bus. The meter in VCC is pegging somewhere between just above 0 in the red and all to the left. The drive is at 3.5 I even tried it fully to the left. Master bus is still peaking around just below -6. In the settings I had the VCC calibrated at -22 and the output at -1dB which I didn't know I had. But massive gain bump up to 8-10 dB???

Quote:

Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

BamesJond, unless I also misunderstood, Ragan is pushing the Group Input knob to get the sound he wants, which will obviously raise the volume.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
That would be eff'n awesome, and MUCH appreciated. (I'm sure I speak for many more than just myself) Amped for the VMR! Proud owner of all Slate Plugs.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm talking about the VCC channels. And no, I'm not using grouping in this case.

When you turn the input up and drive the channel, it raises the output level a lot. There's no way to attenuate this boost. That's all.
Also, if you want to, say, put VCC on a bunch of channels, say drums, and go back and forth between dry and VCC, you can't do it in one click because the VCC doesn't have a trim for attenuating the output. So the VCC will always be louder.
By default (Input at noon) it only increase the level by something like 1.2 db and you can almost take care of that with the global trim (it lets you pull back by 1 db). But if you want to drive the VCC at all, you can't do a proper AB with the dry signal.

The only VCC Mixbus thing we were talking about, and the only reason this came up, is that Steven was mentioning how he likes to push the 4k VCC hard. Because of the no-output-trim and the fact that PT's master fader's inserts are post-fader, you can't do this without another plugin to trim the output. So if you push all the track faders up to saturate the 4k Mixbus, you're clipping everything. If you, as Steven was suggesting, pull down the master fader to compensate, it's pulling back the INPUT side of the plug, not the output side. Thus undoing all the saturation you wanted by pushing the track faders up.

That's all.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Ok now I understand a little bit better what you mean.

Quote:
I'm talking about the VCC channels. And no, I'm not using grouping in this case...
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

For the record, I don't think grouping changes the gain behavior, it just lets you control the settings of multiple channels at once. Correct me if I'm wrong, Steven.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

What are the selling points of the Raven MTi vs. the Neyrinck V-Control Pro? V-Control Pro iPad App - Connect Control Create
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
What are the selling points of the Raven MTi vs. the Neyrinck V-Control Pro? V-Control Pro iPad App - Connect Control Create
well, a 27" touch screen as opposed to an iPad for one...
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
well, a 27" touch screen as opposed to an iPad for one...
Dell 27 Touch Monitor - P2714T

Couple that monitor with Windows 8. OK, what else makes the MTi worth $2,500?
Old 22nd October 2013

Quote:

Here's a list:

1. Infrared Touch Tech vs Projective Capacitive
2. 20ms response vs 5ms response
3. Steel industrial frame
4. Commercial grade no heat panel with 5x the amount of hours
5. Mac OSX compatibitly
6. RAVEN CONTROL SOFTWARE to make DAW multi-touch and more
7. Nanoglide 2mm surface vs plastic

Cheers,
Steven
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:

the question was about the "Neyrinck V-Control Pro" which doesn't run on Windows 8... [sigh]
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search