The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording in the same room as a Mac Pro.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear
Recording in the same room as a Mac Pro.

I'm currently in a situation where I need to have my Mac Pro in the same room where I do my recording. I can't move it to another room, so I'm wondering if anyone has any solutions (that work) for reducing the noise as much as possible to enable me to record without the fan noise being audible. Thanks.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Which model is it ?
I record with the mac by me all the time,Its pretty quiet (I do foleys/Acc Gtr/Voc)
You can build a simple mobile sound barrier and place it infront of the MP since
most of the Computer Hum is coming from the front anyway.

Good Luck !
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Download SMC Fan Control so you can manually turn the fans down when tracking if the noise is an issue.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear
Its a late 2010 2 x 2.4ghz Quad Core. Its always had a low hum fan noise, nothing excessive but enough to be just audible when recording in the same room. Yes I am thinking of some kind of homemade sound barrier. But I was hoping someone had come up with something that was effective before going through my own trial and error solutions.

I have always been reluctant to use fan control software...I have heard so many bad tales. Are these really a safe solution?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Cool the whole room via central air! Ambient temps being lower helps offset lower fan speeds if you're pushing things a bit when recording.

I also have some sound panels I use to diffuse the sound of my Mac Pro when needed, and one of those smaller auralex units that attached to the mic boom arm also helps, assuming the room has treatment too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search