The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Does a digi 96io work with an 002?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Does a digi 96io work with an 002?

I'm helping a friend put together a recording rig. He has an 002 and I have an extra digi 96io I could give him but I'm not sure it'll work with the 002. Last place I worked out of we used an 002 with an Apogee Rosetta 8 which sounded great. If the 96io won't work any suggestions on a converter besides Lynx and Apogee? Presonus digimax? I'm an analog guy so I'm pretty clueless on digital stuff. I searched on here but couldn't find anything. Appreciate the help!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I see this is an interesting topic to everyone.................
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

Along the same line, I am using a DIGI 003 at 96/24. But, from what I have read, using a DA/AD with better converters at a lower bit/sample rate is better than an average DA/AD AT A HIGHER bit/sample rate. I have a Rosetta 800. Am i better off using Rosetta at 48/24 than DIGI 003 at 96/24 because of the better converters, or using DIGI 003 and its average converters at 96/24?
Old 19th October 2013
96i/o interfaces only work if connected to core or accel cards. They don't work stand alone or through the light pipe of a digi 002 or 003 to my knowledge. Rosetta's can work standalone or slaved through a lightpipe to gain more ins and outs. Or add a HDx card to it, and it becomes a 192 I/0 for HD protools.
Old 19th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman352 View Post
Along the same line, I am using a DIGI 003 at 96/24. But, from what I have read, using a DA/AD with better converters at a lower bit/sample rate is better than an average DA/AD AT A HIGHER bit/sample rate. I have a Rosetta 800. Am i better off using Rosetta at 48/24 than DIGI 003 at 96/24 because of the better converters, or using DIGI 003 and its average converters at 96/24?
Having owned a 002 and a Rosetta 800 for years I can say that the clocks and converters in the Rosetta are superior in every way to the prosumer digidesign stuff. To answer your question what's a good cheap substitute, you get what you pay for in adda conversion. Lynx stuff is cool, I really like rme stuff for the money, I think a super tight clock makes a huge difference in how everything sounds. That's alot of what makes the apogee stuff so good IMHO.
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

So apogee at 48/24 will give better resolution than 003 at 96/24?
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman352 View Post
So apogee at 48/24 will give better resolution than 003 at 96/24?
It's not so much resolution, as it is the clock source. The apogee has a tighter clock, a digi003 has a cloudy master clock IMHO and the Rosetta at any sample rate sounds better than a stock digi003. Sample rate matters, but not as much as super tight clocking. That's where your definition is, no so much in higher bit rates. At least that's how my ears hear it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search