The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sonnox plugins
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Sonnox plugins

It's sale on Sonnox plugins. I demoed their plugs some years ago, but didn't buy them.
Why should I buy? are there better alternatives?
I'm a Uad user.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

The limiter used to get a lot of love but has been somewhat eclipsed these days. I own it and it's great, but that's in comparison to Logic's limiter (terrible) and the L1 (outdated).
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat View Post
It's sale on Sonnox plugins. I demoed their plugs some years ago, but didn't buy them.
I'm a Uad user.
First you have to ask yourself the question, what do I need? There are a lot of different Sonnox plugins I own the Inflator, EQ and Dynamics but don't use them anymore since I bought an UAD and Fabfilter plugs
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

The limiter is superb ! on mixes especially.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

I use the limiter on so many of my mixes on the master buss. What's better these days?I'd like to hear!

I like the fully parametric EQ as well, for really sculpting stuff like drum close mics, well that's mainly what I've used it for. For general EQ I am looking more to the Waves, Softube analog emulations...although I'm sure I'm sleeping on some equally good alternatives. That Brainworx Mid-Side stereo EQ is cool for widening guitars in a power rock mix. URS EQ are good but a little brighter than the Waves/Softube.
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I'm a Uad user.
I have most of the UAD stuff and use most all of it. I like the exactitude and transparency of the Sonnox parametric much more than the Cambridge. The expander/gate I find to be better than the dynamics in the UAD Neve or SSL channel strips. The inflator is tres coolio, but you can't eat too much of that candy. I've found the tuneable dynamics/eq to be very handy to fix the gnarly stuff that shows up in tracks sometimes. So, for color, not Sonnox. For power & clarity Sonnox.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

go for the tools not effects .....
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobox View Post
I have most of the UAD stuff and use most all of it. I like the exactitude and transparency of the Sonnox parametric much more than the Cambridge. The expander/gate I find to be better than the dynamics in the UAD Neve or SSL channel strips. The inflator is tres coolio, but you can't eat too much of that candy. I've found the tuneable dynamics/eq to be very handy to fix the gnarly stuff that shows up in tracks sometimes. So, for color, not Sonnox. For power & clarity Sonnox.
Thanks! That's the feedback I'm looking for.
That's what I remember from the demo period, transparent sound. I guess I like a bit more color/vintage vibe, but with Uad, Slate, Soundtoys I'm well set in that department .
CPU wise, are they modest?
Old 17th October 2013
They are pretty old now I think so should be very good with CPU. I demoed them a while ago too and really wanted them (not the reverb though). I passed, but this time I picked up Inflator and the Limiter. Unique processors from what I understand, big thread somewhere on here with Paul Frindle going into great detail about what these do.

I'll shoot out the limiter with Pro-L which is often regarded as one of the best.

Sonnox tools are very professional. I remember the Dynamics being exceptionally transparent.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

TransMod and Inflator are almost indispensable to me.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Pro-L is what I hear being favourably compared to the sonnox limiter the most.

Sonnox limiter is amazing and yes, if you're into tech definately go and check out paul frindle's threads and contributions. Pages and pages of the poor guy arguing with people over what the functions he designed actually do inside.

That said I'm still not sure I'd like to take an exam on the sonnox limiter. it's deep. Similarities and differences between the inflator and limiter is another topic that seems to generate long threads of debate (superfluous conclusion: they are quite different and do different things).

Caveat: bedroom producer guy commenting here
Old 17th October 2013
For a UAD user... no. The Inflator is unique but the UAD Precision Maximizer is IMO better (I own both).
The limiter is ok but there are some better available (Fabfilter, Flux, Voxengo,...)
Same with the Sonnox EQ or the compressor (I own both).

I would not buy them (again).
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
For a UAD user... no. The Inflator is unique but the UAD Precision Maximizer is IMO better (I own both).
The limiter is ok but there are some better available (Fabfilter, Flux, Voxengo,...)
Same with the Sonnox EQ or the compressor (I own both).

I would not buy them (again).
Thanks for the input!
I'm demoing the UAD maximizer now and it's great.
Really inflates the sound!?
Sometimes I max out my Uad quad card, and I need some native alternative workhorse plugs for eq, comp, gate, limiting.
The fact that UAD has the Sonnox eq and Inflator in their range seems like a quality stamp, not?
Is it possible to demo twice on the iLok ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search