The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DAW output to Skype input (Real Time)
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

DAW output to Skype input (Real Time)

Hello there.
I'm currently trying to edit my voice in real time via VST effects and filters, and use itas an input to Skype (or any other communication tool). I've tried different approaches like audiojack and virtual audio cable but all of them have plenty of latency and becomes very irritating to deal with it in real time.

For this reason, I've decided o grab a new audio interface that -internally- handles that.

I know that focusrite has Mixcontrol and EMU hasPatchMix, but are they able to do sucha a thing at all? I'm not even sure if I'm using the correct terminology for this.

Looking for answers, thanks.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Regarding EMUs Patchmix, yes this is possible. Just set Skype Microphone to EDSP Wave, then in the Emu Patchmix, simply assign Wave L/R-Host as a send in the ASIO output channel.

Whatever sound coming out of the DAW, be it a soft-synth or live mic input into it, will then be fed into Skype. Of course the sound will end up mono as skype doesn't do stereo voice, also be aware there will potentially be some timestretching depending on changes in the bandwidth of the connection.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

I have a focusrite 2i2, unfortunately no mixcontrol available for this one but one thing I notice is that when my DAW and skype are running at the same time, skype does not even allow me to use the output of the audio interface since "it's currently being used".

I was going to order 6i6 over thoman for the mixcontrol and routing capabilities, but now not sure after your sure comment about EMU-

Any ideas about focusrite?
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

Any ideas?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Try Soundflower?
Old 16th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by undream View Post
Hello there.
I'm currently trying to edit my voice in real time via VST effects and filters, and use itas an input to Skype (or any other communication tool). I've tried different approaches like audiojack and virtual audio cable but all of them have plenty of latency and becomes very irritating to deal with it in real time.

For this reason, I've decided o grab a new audio interface that -internally- handles that.

I know that focusrite has Mixcontrol and EMU hasPatchMix, but are they able to do sucha a thing at all? I'm not even sure if I'm using the correct terminology for this.

Looking for answers, thanks.
Sounds pervy

From what I know you could do this on the old Focusrite Saffire interfaces. They're decent if you can pick one up.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

What about the new ones ? Because you know, old ones are... old?
Old 16th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by undream View Post
What about the new ones ? Because you know, old ones are... old?
Because the old ones could do it and the new ones, you know, can't? Why the hell else do you think I would have specifically mentioned the old ones?
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

Well, I'm telling you that; the new ones can't do it. I have a scarlet that can't do it?!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search