The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Trying to solve MacBook Pro crashing problem, need some help if possible...
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

Trying to solve MacBook Pro crashing problem, need some help if possible...

I'm using a MacBook Pro/Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and running Reaper. I have an M-Audio Oxygen 49 (blue) USB keyboard that I also use as a controller and a Behringer FCA 202 Firewire interface for audio in and out. Recently the MacBook has been freezing up and after that it won't start up without freezing when the Finder launches. The only solution I've been able to come up with is to erase the disk and re-install the OS. I took it to the Apple store the first time this happened and they did the erase/re-install and they also tested everything hardware-related and it all checked out fine.

So since I've confirmed that it's not the laptop or the software I'm trying to determine if the problem is being caused by either the Behringer or the Oxygen. My suspicion is that it's the Behringer since it's been discontinued and there have been no updated Mac drivers released. But there have also not been any Mountain Lion drivers released by M-Audio either, however they state on their website that the Oxygen is "class compliant" so it doesn't need drivers installed, that they should be part of the OS. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? I'm hesitant to connect either device to the computer for fear that one of them will cause the problem again and I'll have to do the whole re-install once more which is getting really old after three times now. Not only do I have to re-install the OS but I also have to install Reaper and all my plugins too.

The other possibility I've considered is that since both peripheral devices are bus powered that maybe the MacBook's power supply can't handle the load, but would that cause it to freeze?

I'd love to get some input on this problem. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 14 (doesn't have to be bus powered) cause I don't mind ditching the Behringer at all. But I'd like to make the Oxygen work if I can find out more about the class compliant thing. I've not been able to turn up any definitive info on the Apple or M-Audio forums or by searching in general so if anyone knows about this you'd be really helping me out. Thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search