The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Slate Digital is giving us another treat soon! Any guesses?
Old 18th October 2013
  #91
Lives for gear
 
inthere's Avatar
 

Another emulation

Sorry to say unless everything at Slate is updated to 64 bit, i'm exploring other options.
Old 19th October 2013
  #92
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
I don't really get the advantage of loading plugins in a separate rack plugin...you can do this in your DAW already...
I like the idea if just clicking on one minimized plugin to maximize an entire rack of vsts. One advantage, right? Slicker workflow. That said, I haven't bought any Slate stuff. ILok free!
Old 19th October 2013
  #93
Lives for gear
 
sam c's Avatar
 

I am hoping a developer will move away from emulations. We have had those for so long it's getting boring. I think it's time to really explore what we can do digitally outside of emulations, forward thinking for a pleasant change.

No slam intended, I own a lot of Slate stuff and I'm sure this new stuff will sound good.
Old 20th October 2013
  #94
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c View Post
I am hoping a developer will move away from emulations. We have had those for so long it's getting boring. I think it's time to really explore what we can do digitally outside of emulations, forward thinking for a pleasant change..
What I find a bit funny about this comment, is that it's actually the DAWN of actual analog emulations.

We've had plugins that emulated the look of classic analog hardware, but we're just now in the past few years getting plugins that actually SOUND like the hardware. And at the time of this writing, there is NO authentic replication of the two classic british equalizers that the VMR modules model.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 20th October 2013
  #95
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
What I find a bit funny about this comment, is that it's actually the DAWN of actual analog emulations.

We've had plugins that emulated the look of classic analog hardware, but we're just now in the past few years getting plugins that actually SOUND like the hardware. And at the time of this writing, there is NO authentic replication of the two classic british equalizers that the VMR modules model.

Cheers,
Steven
Agreed here actually. UAD is just beginning to pump out legit emulations. Yourself. Softube. IK. only a few others.

People have been complaining about digital effects not doing the hardwaren justice. Now that they finally are, people are complaining that they're tired of hardware emu?

Tough crowd lol

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 20th October 2013
  #96
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
UAD is just beginning to pump out legit emulations. Yourself. Softube. IK. only a few others.
Quite a few others, actually. Voxengo comes to mind, too... They just don't present their wares with photorealistic GUIs that make you go "Wow, I bet it sounds like hardware".

I doubt people would make the same choices if they could only hear the plugs. It seems to me, many respond to a combination of pretty graphics and clever marketing.
Old 20th October 2013
  #97
Lives for gear
 
inthere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
What I find a bit funny about this comment, is that it's actually the DAWN of actual analog emulations.

We've had plugins that emulated the look of classic analog hardware, but we're just now in the past few years getting plugins that actually SOUND like the hardware. And at the time of this writing, there is NO authentic replication of the two classic british equalizers that the VMR modules model.

Cheers,
Steven
The thing is, the hardware that's being emulated is 40+years old, and while it's certainly commendable that plugins are sounding like that hardware, I long for the day when devs use the technology available to go beyond what hardware is able to achieve...............I was stoked when FG-X came out because I thought it was a step in that direction.
Old 20th October 2013
  #98
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
The thing is, the hardware that's being emulated is 40+years old, and while it's certainly commendable that plugins are sounding like that hardware, I long for the day when devs use the technology available to go beyond what hardware is able to achieve...............I was stoked when FG-X came out because I thought it was a step in that direction.
I'm with you bro, I just don't think the ears will benefit from anything further.

But I'm with you if say, you take an emulation and add functionality to it. With the great sound of a great sounding plugin, but with the twist.

Then there's marketing, basic emulations has its own place that we accept with no questions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 20th October 2013
  #99
Lives for gear
 
inthere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
I'm with you bro, I just don't think the ears will benefit from anything further.

Sonically? I think there's a step up from hardware that Slate is nudging as we speak..............there was a listening test recently where a LOT of guys picked VCC over their actual hardware compressor counterparts..........I certainly did.

I guess I'm hoping Slate gets that close again and just says "screw the emulation, let's give it some extra sparkle!"and make it sound even better.
Old 21st October 2013
  #100
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
Sonically? I think there's a step up from hardware that Slate is nudging as we speak..............there was a listening test recently where a LOT of guys picked VCC over their actual hardware compressor counterparts..........I certainly did.

I guess I'm hoping Slate gets that close again and just says "screw the emulation, let's give it some extra sparkle!"and make it sound even better.
I guess this is where I get confused? We had the era of all digital, it is getting analog in the digital realm that's making today's music sound good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 21st October 2013
  #101
Lives for gear
 
Agzilla's Avatar
 

IN terms of going fully into the 'advantages' of digital, rather than just emulating the advantages of analogue... I think that new FabFilter MB looks amazing...

But I don't think that kind of approach would suit the Slate Digital brand.... Maybe after all the three letter an acronyms ir. VCC, VBC, VTM, VTR They could do a fully digital range? SDC etc

Maybe the can do VDT (Virtual Dat tape)? lol

Looking forward to trying the rack though.... That Steven has certainly got it moving.. just gotta respect the speed at which they have positioned themselves so high in the game... Very impressive plan that they're rolling out...

Respect.


Zz.
Old 21st October 2013
  #102
What ever Steven Slate is coming with PLEASE NO!!!:
1)Another EQ
2)Another compressor
3)Another limiter
4)Another reverb
5)Another console
6)Another tube simuletor
7)Another Deasser,pitch correction,wave to mp3 converter and automatic talent enchanter and automatic lyric writer
Old 21st October 2013
  #103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
What I find a bit funny about this comment, is that it's actually the DAWN of actual analog emulations.

We've had plugins that emulated the look of classic analog hardware, but we're just now in the past few years getting plugins that actually SOUND like the hardware. And at the time of this writing, there is NO authentic replication of the two classic british equalizers that the VMR modules model.

Cheers,
Steven
nobody denies that u did great job, but still many people want to see new ideas and see what we can really do with high end digital technologies outside of emulations of existing gear.
Old 21st October 2013
  #104
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly7 View Post
What ever Steven Slate is coming with PLEASE NO!!!:
1)Another EQ
2)Another compressor


Ding ding ding!
Old 21st October 2013
  #105
Lives for gear
 
inthere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
I guess this is where I get confused? We had the era of all digital, it is getting analog in the digital realm that's making today's music sound good.
........or how about they keep the same mentality of modeling analog circuits and instead of stopping at the point where the hardware stops, they increase the headroom before distortion, making it superior to hardware?

Take DMG's example with Equilibrium; you can boost frequencies much higher than most software EQ's without distortion. Slate is getting there too.
Old 21st October 2013
  #106
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
........or how about they keep the same mentality of modeling analog circuits and instead of stopping at the point where the hardware stops, they increase the headroom before distortion, making it superior to hardware?

Take DMG's example with Equilibrium; you can boost frequencies much higher than most software EQ's without distortion. Slate is getting there too.
OK gotcha, I'm so loving what billions of records sound like. I do understand what you're saying at this point.

I still applaud Steven for his efforts to get that 100% digital copy of those great boxes.

From some of the best ears in the game, they claim there's still a 5-15% difference with the plugins.

Can you imagine if we could get 97-98% there? That would be awesome...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump