The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iMac i5, Cubase 7 and CPU usage.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

iMac i5, Cubase 7 and CPU usage.

Hi to everyone! First of all, I wanted to say I'm new in this forum but I have long time reading you. I hope my first post is in the right place.

Well, my problem is: As I've been learning how to mix, I use more plugins that increase CPU consume to the point of having a lot of peaks. Since I have kemper, the thing improve but unless I set the buffer to the maximum, I cant mix without cuts and pops. The number of tracks that I use isnt excessive (about 25/30, SD 2.0 with drmagog, waves plugins...). Is this normal? My iMac isnt enough and I need more CPU? Someone in the forum with the same problem or similar equipment?. I'm desperate. Thank you!

Equipment:

Intel Core i5 Quadcore
3,1 GHz
12 GB
Cubase 7 Artist
Apogee Duet 2

P.D.: the computer is recently formatted and I know that have been some problems with Cubase 7 and OSX in reference a CPU usage, but something similar happens with Reaper to me.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Im really sorry for the bump but no one can tell me how far your CPU squeezes when mixing with a same or similar specs? I'm desperate. I do not know if my mac is broken or what...
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I could try to compare tomorrow. You have Waves V9 so the plugins are VST3, not VST2? It's a substantial improvement.

I use C7 with Waves Mercury on an 2010 iMac (2.8 ghz quad) w/ 16 Gb of RAM.

Just describe your typical session how many audio + midi tracks, buffer size, which kind of waves plugins etc...not a scientific test but just to see if we're on the same ballpark.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
I could try to compare tomorrow. You have Waves V9 so the plugins are VST3, not VST2? It's a substantial improvement.

I use C7 with Waves Mercury on an 2010 iMac (2.8 ghz quad) w/ 16 Gb of RAM.

Just describe your typical session how many audio + midi tracks, buffer size, which kind of waves plugins etc...not a scientific test but just to see if we're on the same ballpark.
Thank you so much for answering. It is an issue that worries me a lot. Here show two screenshots of Mix Console (I divide it into two to show all tracks). Waves plugins I use are the 9r11 and in this case, the guitars are Kemper Amp Profiler because if using Amp Sims and Lecab directly would have to freeze a lot of tracks. The buffer is at 256 in the photo (I usually mix to 2048 but still the CPU load is high in this case and I want to show you with a "normal" buffer).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2014.43.39.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2014.44.02.png

As you will see, not use VSTi's except Superior Drummer but I read in forums people using many VSTi's and FX with similar equipment without any problem

Thanks a lot, man!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Np, I can try tomorrow.

However I can tell from the pictures that you're using over 100 plug-ins. Your track count isn't heavy but you do use a lot of plug-ins.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

I was not aware that many plugins I used so far... ´:(

Then it´s my high CPU usage normal, right? How many plugins do you usually use for a mix of rock / metal (or whatever)?. Thanx for the help!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

You have to determine what processors can be put on a bus, and used by multiple tracks.

To get an overview of the relative performance of different Mac models, checkout this thread, it uses Logic as a stress test.

Newer models are in the more recent threads.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...hmarktest.html

Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thank you so much gdoubleyou. All is more clear to me. I think that I demand to my imac more than it can give. Only one more question: I have the possibility to upgrade my i5 3,1 to an i7 3,4 for 400€. In my place, you do that or buy Vienna Enssemble Pro? (I have also a PC with an i7 2,8. Thank you so much everyone, you have me been a great help!!!

P.D.: sorry for my english
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear
For posterity -- this could be a latency problem. increase to 512 or 1024 in settings.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear
Check ASIO guard as well. For me it´s best when it is activated.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otero1st View Post
Thank you so much gdoubleyou. All is more clear to me. I think that I demand to my imac more than it can give. Only one more question: I have the possibility to upgrade my i5 3,1 to an i7 3,4 for 400€. In my place, you do that or buy Vienna Enssemble Pro? (I have also a PC with an i7 2,8. Thank you so much everyone, you have me been a great help!!!

P.D.: sorry for my english
The i7 quad will be more powerful, if you are doing large arrangements VEP5 is the way to go.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search