The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
TRS out into XLR in? Studio Monitors
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

TRS out into XLR in? Studio Monitors

Hi guys,

I've been searching the market for some good 8" studio monitors and am currently divided between the adam a8x and the krk vxt8.
However, the adam does not have a xlr-trs combo input, like the vxt8.. So i was wondering If I'll run into some gain issues when connecting my octa capture (wich only has balanced TRS outs) to the adams or even KRKs.

I'm asking this because of the standard signal levels of line level vs mic level.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
GMX750
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

If the output is balanced, you can just go 1/4" to xlr without any problem. Balanced 1/4 has a +, - and ground just like xlr.

jB
Old 15th October 2013
Deleted User
Use a TRS to XLR cable. Both ends are balanced so your good. Thats what I do here
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Ok, that's a relief : )

What about the difference between mic and line level? My octa's output is a little hot for what an xlr input may be expecting right?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear
XLR and TRS cable are used for mic or line levels. Your interface outputs are line level.

Just because a device uses XLR does not mean its mic level.
Preamps and rack gear all have XLR or TRS outputs that are line level. You have to read the specs.

Usually (some exceptions) XLR inputs on an interface or preamp are for Mic level inputs only.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search