The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who's getting Softube Console 1
Old 8th September 2014
  #151
For me, Console 1 not syncing with the selected track in the DAW is a big no-no. This is the kind of thing that really slows you down and when inspiration is flowing, things that slow you down should be avoided. I really want to buy this Console 1 and I`ve got the cash saved up, but until there is an update to sort out that channel select sync (both ways), I`m not touching this product. This is a very basic necessity.
Old 8th September 2014
  #152
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4thlab View Post
I'll be giving my cash to the next company that comes along and does the same thing, but who has sharper business acumen and understands the needs of customers. Good luck, with your purposefully boxed-in and limited user-base. Just plain weird.
Just plain weird that development has been delayed? Softube has said that Windows support is their top priority, it's obviously not an easy task. They always release stable products, would you rather them release an early buggy Windows version instead? I'd rather wait until they think it's ready.
Old 8th September 2014
  #153
Lives for gear
 
m4thlab's Avatar
 

It's not weird that they want to get it right, it's weird that they thought it appropriate to release it Mac only in the first place, with a flaky promise of Windows at some undetermined point in the future. You have a sexy, polished product you want it to come across sexy and polished, right? - by being fully developed for both Mac and Windows at the time of release, not with a vague statement about Windows readiness in the future. If that Windows readiness had a been a few weeks later, or a month later then that would have made sense. In fact, I assumed they just simply wanted it out in time for the big product shows, and just didn't quite have the Windows component over the line in time. As it turns out, Windows development is now so long in the tooth that it's fabled release is an elephant in the room. That is not good, that is not sexy and polished, that adds a little tarnish to their ability to get things right. It starts questions like "what's taking so long?", "how can it be that hard?" and "what are they doing wrong?".

Worst of all, and as I said above... given that we all know that driver updates are such an important factor for our gear, and companies earn a reputation for being either very good at it, or very bad - how confident would you be in receiving excellent driver updates for Windows, given that they have taken this damn long to get it out in the first place? That's the reason why they'll sell less of these than they should have, had they been professional and released a Windows compatible version at the time of initial launch. It's sad to me, it looked so good, but I'll never buy one now. Someone else will come along, do the same thing and be good to go with drivers. That company will get my money.
Old 8th September 2014
  #154
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4thlab View Post
It's not weird that they want to get it right, it's weird that they thought it appropriate to release it Mac only in the first place, with a flaky promise of Windows at some undetermined point in the future. You have a sexy, polished product you want it to come across sexy and polished, right? - by being fully developed for both Mac and Windows at the time of release, not with a vague statement about Windows readiness in the future. If that Windows readiness had a been a few weeks later, or a month later then that would have made sense. In fact, I assumed they just simply wanted it out in time for the big product shows, and just didn't quite have the Windows component over the line in time. As it turns out, Windows development is now so long in the tooth that it's fabled release is an elephant in the room. That is not good, that is not sexy and polished, that adds a little tarnish to their ability to get things right. It starts questions like "what's taking so long?", "how can it be that hard?" and "what are they doing wrong?".

Worst of all, and as I said above... given that we all know that driver updates are such as an important factor for our gear, and companies earn a reputation for being either very good at it, or very bad - how confident would you be in receiving excellent driver updates for Windows, given that they have taken this damn long to get it out in the first place? That's the reason why they'll sell less of these than they should have, had they been professional and released a Windows compatible version at the time of initial launch. It's sad to me, it looked so good, but I'll never buy one now. Someone else will come along, do the same thing and be good to go with drivers. That company will get my money.
You`ve raised some valid points here. Driver updates and compatibility with future OS and DAW updates, will make or break a product and the developer. If there are problems and delays now, what guarantees do we have for future necessary updates?

I got burned like this twice already, so this is something I take very seriously nowadays before spending my money on digital gear.
Old 8th September 2014
  #155
Lives for gear
 
m4thlab's Avatar
 

I've been burned too, man. A lot of people choose not to upgrade their OS because hardware companies don't update their drivers, or abandon them altogether.

I don't know, it just doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they know what they're doing Windows-wise, and clearly it has been an afterthought - and that doesn't give me much assurance either.

I wouldn't feel great about having to stick to an outdated version of Windows because I'm tied to a pretty expensive hardware controller whose manufacturer thinks of Windows drivers as an afterthought, or just too darn hard. Should a small company from Linköping, Sweden decide for you whether or not you update to a newer version of Windows? That's what will happen.
Old 8th September 2014
  #156
Gear Addict
 
Softube's Avatar
 

Hello all,
Long thread here, just wanted to post an update on our Windows progress: We are working on the Windows release, it is currently going back and forth between our beta testers and our developers. Yes, it has taken longer than we hoped for, but we can not and will not ever release software that does not fully function—period. We'll still be a bit vague on a specific release date, but let's call it Octoberish.

Thanks,
Henrik
Old 8th September 2014
  #157
Lives for gear
 
m4thlab's Avatar
 

Will future updates for Windows compatibility take "longer than expected" as well? Obviously Mac compatibility is your primary focus, it's a shame that you have alienated a large share of your customer base by thinking of Windows users as, what is by definition, an afterthought.
Old 8th September 2014
  #158
Gear Addict
 
Softube's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4thlab View Post
Will future updates for Windows compatibility take "longer than expected" as well? Obviously Mac compatibility is your primary focus, it's a shame that you have alienated a large share of your customer base by thinking of Windows users as, what is by definition, an afterthought.
First off, I take it as a compliment that you're so interested in Console 1 that you're upset that the Windows version hasn't been released yet. You're in good company, let me tell you that.

We're well aware a large part of our user base uses Windows and we would be stupid to consider them an afterthought. But it's a fact that Windows is trickier to program for than Mac, which is why a lot of companies in our business have simply abandoned Windows entirely. We haven't done that, and we won't do it either.

Sure, we could have held back the Mac release until the Windows version was done, but then nobody would have a Console 1 yet. I see little point in that, just as I see little point in releasing a Windows version that doesn't work 100%.

The Windows version will be out when it's done, not a second before or after.

Cheers,
Henrik

PS Here's a picture from one of our beta testers using Console 1 on his Windows laptop: http://www.facebook.com/SoftubeStudi...type=3&theater
Old 8th September 2014
  #159
Lives for gear
 
m4thlab's Avatar
 

Thanks Henrik, I hear what you're saying, it sounds clear that you think you deserve to be patted on the back for not releasing a buggy implementation. I agree that this would not be acceptable, but I don't think you should be commended for it, it should go without saying. You can't say - look how good I am for not doing something stupid; that's nonsensical, and it diverts attention away from the fact that it has taken you 6 months to complete the "trickier" Windows version, and in fact it will be longer than that because "Octoberish" is still a few months away.

I'm just letting you know that its disappointing and it is very plain that you think less of Windows users to make your Mac implementation a priority, which it obviously was. You've instilled zero confidence in your technical abilities to produce a Windows version of the Console 1, and no assurance that future updates won't be 8 months behind your Mac updates. I think Windows users should be extremely wary of dropping well over $1k on a product that looks dangerously close to being unsupportable by it's manufacturer.
Old 8th September 2014
  #160
Lives for gear
 
Blues Bird's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4thlab View Post
Thanks Henrik, I hear what you're saying, it sounds clear that you think you deserve to be patted on the back for not releasing a buggy implementation. I agree that this would not be acceptable, but I don't think you should be commended for it, it should go without saying. You can't say - look how good I am for not doing something stupid; that's nonsensical, and it diverts attention away from the fact that it has taken you 6 months to complete the "trickier" Windows version, and in fact it will be longer than that because "Octoberish" is still a few months away.

I'm just letting you know that its disappointing and it is very plain that you think less of Windows users to make your Mac implementation a priority, which it obviously was. You've instilled zero confidence in your technical abilities to produce a Windows version of the Console 1, and no assurance that future updates won't be 8 months behind your Mac updates. I think Windows users should be extremely wary of dropping well over $1k on a product that looks dangerously close to being unsupportable by it's manufacturer.
Jesus Christ , give that guy a break, will ya? I think we all got your point : you are not exactly happy about about the fact, that there is no Windows version yet, right? Fine so far, but time to move on, don't you think?

Last time I checked the 10 commandments, there was nothing written about Softube owing you a Console 1 Windows version...
Old 8th September 2014
  #161
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
I don't know what everyone is complaining about. Octoberish is my favourite month.
Old 8th September 2014
  #162
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4thlab View Post
Thanks Henrik, I hear what you're saying, it sounds clear that you think you deserve to be patted on the back for not releasing a buggy implementation. I agree that this would not be acceptable, but I don't think you should be commended for it, it should go without saying. You can't say - look how good I am for not doing something stupid; that's nonsensical, and it diverts attention away from the fact that it has taken you 6 months to complete the "trickier" Windows version, and in fact it will be longer than that because "Octoberish" is still a few months away.

I'm just letting you know that its disappointing and it is very plain that you think less of Windows users to make your Mac implementation a priority, which it obviously was. You've instilled zero confidence in your technical abilities to produce a Windows version of the Console 1, and no assurance that future updates won't be 8 months behind your Mac updates. I think Windows users should be extremely wary of dropping well over $1k on a product that looks dangerously close to being unsupportable by it's manufacturer.
m4thlab, I am - for obvious reasons - always pretty sensitive when it comes to sloppy Windows support from cross-platform developers. However, without having any insight in their current Console 1 development or betatesting, I can assure you that Softube is not a company which sees Windows as an afterthought. Like most plugin developers, they are a relatively small company with limited resources. A piece of hardware combined with software for multiple platforms, OS versions, hosts and plugin formats (they even support AAX DSP), is a huge undertaking. It doesn't help either that Microsoft puts developers between a rock solid Windows 7, a transitional Windows 8.1 and an upcoming Windows 9.
We have communicated with Softube on a few topics (regarding released plugins), I have absolutely no worries that Windows leaps behind once the Windows software is released.

Let's move on with the actual subject...
Old 8th September 2014
  #163
Lives for gear
 
m4thlab's Avatar
 

Fair call. I'm moving on.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump