The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who's getting Softube Console 1
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
I really think I'm finally sold on this.

I love the SSL sound - that's my default mix mode.

Slate 4k > UAD SSL strip > Rolls Music RMS 755 hardware bus compressor.

Occasionally I use the UAD Neve strip, and I'll bet Softube will being doing this soon.

I love the idea of not looking at any screens if I want and just turning knobs like days of old.

Also moving processing to native free's up my UAD Quad 2 for FX which is what I really like the UAD for most.

Yes this is definitely on my Xmas list.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I think there would be conflicts of interest and not so happy licensing problems with too many involved.

If UA and Slate want a controller for there plugs well they can go and make one.

Full points to Softube for doing away with a mouse.

Slates Raven and newly announced plugins are available at a swipe of the hands on a touch screen and also your wallet.

If Softube keep making there own emulations of great consoles with 1 on 1 approach then I can see there sales better than trying to appease other manufacturers.

This is what makes this product so unique.

Cheers
Right, but there's only so much desk real estate.
Old 3rd November 2013
Here for the gear

I really want one, but I think the price point of $1200 is high for a piece like this. I think $800 is more in line. With no moving faders or any "real" hardware, it seems a bit high for a midi controller.
Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really want one, but I think the price point of $1200 is high for a piece like this. I think $800 is more in line. With no moving faders or any "real" hardware, it seems a bit high for a midi controller.
In a way I have to agree.

The full on software UK4K channel strip is probably worth at least 3-400 and the hardware controller/dongle is worth around 4-600.

So I think around a grand is fair.

One thing I have noticed recently is a lot of decent hardware is priced around 999 usd.
I dont know if this brings it under some special tax or import bracket but I have purchased some pretty decent products recently under a G .
My recent purchases were the Tascam master recorder, Maschine Studio, and soon to be SPL Crimson.

Depends on if this is going to be a boutique product or one for the masses.

Depending on initial sales if slow this may have to be adjusted accordingly.

Hopefully Softube have done their homework or marketting as this is their first foray into the hardware realm.

I understand the controller is excellent build quality and software top notch but at present their are still a few channel strips in hardware that are priced below this.

Want me to name a few.

Chameleon Labs, Joe Meek, GAP, etc etc

Cheers
Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear
If it was powered like the uad plugins with external plugin processing crom the controller, id heavly consider it for the price. In this day and age i want more than a controller for 400+ with a bunch of knobs. Small midi controllers are cheap enough already outside these expensive integrated controllers.
Old 3rd November 2013
Why do folks keep calling this a channel strip. Aren't channel strips generally a form of preamp. This is just a controller - no preamp or preamp capabilities.
Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear

liked the video, almost thought about buying one, then i realized it really only works with the softube stuff...

it won't work for me. even though i love the softube stuff, at this moment i only prefer their stuff on a couple of special plugins... the main stuff i use would not be served by this...

as far as channel strips go i like the one included in sonar x3... really do..
Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
liked the video, almost though about buying one, then i realized it really only works with the softube stuff...
Yeah, it's a deal breaker for me…..

Someone needs to make a quality channel strip controller (not plugin specific) laid out like the Sony DMX100s - they'd sell like hotcakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Who's getting Softube Console 1-screen-shot-2013-11-03-12.54.38.jpg  
Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post

Someone needs to make a quality channel strip controller (not plugin specific) laid out like the Sony DMX100s - they'd sell like hotcakes.

Agreed!

Sent from my SCH-I545
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

i´ve been thinking about getting some quality plugins for ages now, but couldn´t justify investing serious money in something that will be worth nothing soon. also, i really really dislike mixing with a mouse looking on a screen, since i´m used to working analog, on a real console, with real outboard. this product, however, really got my attention! hands on mixing in the box! even more so then with a euphonix controller for example. i think it´s a great idea! i guess we´ll have to wait which other strips softube releases. looking forward to it!
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

Does it play nice with other controllers like Control.24 or an Icon?
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

Anybody knows if it's gonna be released soon?
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear
Any word on the price? I might be interested, but not if it's really expensive
Old 5th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimpkins View Post
I do too and its smooth as ever. No worries.
artist mix EQ and Compression implementation is horrendous. My real question is if this will work in tandem with the artist mix. If it can, then I think I'll snap one up and use the artist mix for faders and pan, and this console 1 for eq and compression.
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any word on the price? I might be interested, but not if it's really expensive
About 800 euros or around 1200 usd.

Cheers
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post

I got a lot of milage from my Novation Nocturn by not creating Automaps that matched the plugins but by making my own little standard for each Nocturn Knob so that I mapped all my plugins to this standard. Now when I open a plugin by any developer the threshold and ratio etc etc are always on the same knob, this way I only have to remember one Automap per processor type.

Avid did the same thing with their icon desk.

It would be brilliant if we could drop these childish cartoon GUI's and have all the developers create plugins to a set standard that could be utilised by hardware controllers in a uniform manner.
Old 8th November 2013
Gear Addict

Hello all,
Some misinformation here.

First off, expected street price in the US is $999, (European expected street price circa €799 including sales tax). That includes the Console 1 system (hardware + software) plus our new plug-in, the UK 4k. The UK 4k is a model of a very famous console, I'm sure one or two of you have a good guess which one. It consists of an EQ, compressor, distortion, gate, and high and low cut filters (that can be routed to the compressor side chain). We also put in a Transient Shaper, which was of course not part of that console and is not a model of any analog equipment – it's purely a Softube design. It's pretty fierce if we may say so ourselves.

Looking at our prices, if we were to release a plug-in with all that, it would be around $5-600.

Secondly, anyone who thinks this is a controller is dead wrong. Console 1 is essentially a mixer that you use together with your DAW. You route all your DAW channels to the Console 1 system, and can then control them all using the hardware only. You select channel, and tweak the knobs. Select next channel, tweak the knobs. Repeat until your mix is great.

You can lose the mouse if you want to. Or keep it for when you toggle back to your DAW to do editing or use your other plug-ins just like you did before. Check out the demo video (link in the signature below) to get a better understanding of why we call it the next generation mixer.

Thanks,
Henrik
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for clearing up the price Henrik.

Now I really want one.

My Maschine Studio arrives on Monday so now I look more forward.

One thing you didn't mention is when it is available.

Nov/Dec Y/N

Cheers
Old 8th November 2013
Definitely heading in the right direction but no scribble strips for tracks equals no go for me. With that said I think this is a great idea and love softube. With scribble strips for tracks at least and one fader for rides this would be a much better product imo.
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softube View Post
Hello all,
Some misinformation here.

First off, expected street price in the US is $999, (European expected street price circa €799 including sales tax). That includes the Console 1 system (hardware + software) plus our new plug-in, the UK 4k. The UK 4k is a model of a very famous console, I'm sure one or two of you have a good guess which one. It consists of an EQ, compressor, distortion, gate, and high and low cut filters (that can be routed to the compressor side chain). We also put in a Transient Shaper, which was of course not part of that console and is not a model of any analog equipment – it's purely a Softube design. It's pretty fierce if we may say so ourselves.

Looking at our prices, if we were to release a plug-in with all that, it would be around $5-600.

Secondly, anyone who thinks this is a controller is dead wrong. Console 1 is essentially a mixer that you use together with your DAW. You route all your DAW channels to the Console 1 system, and can then control them all using the hardware only. You select channel, and tweak the knobs. Select next channel, tweak the knobs. Repeat until your mix is great.

You can lose the mouse if you want to. Or keep it for when you toggle back to your DAW to do editing or use your other plug-ins just like you did before. Check out the demo video (link in the signature below) to get a better understanding of why we call it the next generation mixer.

Thanks,
Henrik
Henrik,

Do the solo, mute and pan functions work on the DAW level or on Console 1 level?

Thanks,
Old 9th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softube View Post
You route all your DAW channels to the Console 1 system, and can then control them all using the hardware only.
Okayyy! Thanks for pointing this, at first i thought i could just insert Console 1 on channels in Logic's mixer.

That is another workflow.
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear
I won't be.

Too vested in my current plugins and daw workflow.

Looks good for a professIonal engineer however after Henrik explained the workflow. Its like buying a high end mixer console just for mixing, not recording. When you consider that.. and how good and analog softube stuff sounds,.. it justifies the price.

I'm a hobbyist and much more producer than a mix engineer so... it's not aimed at me lol

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Definitely heading in the right direction but no scribble strips for tracks equals no go for me. With that said I think this is a great idea and love softube. With scribble strips for tracks at least and one fader for rides this would be a much better product imo.
If you are desperate for a scribble strip it would be quite possible to use the scribble strip tape on the upper and lower part of the controller.

Off course you would have to cram in names and numbers for the first 40 tracks or so.
20 on top and 20 on the bottom.

Besides your scribble list or track naming is still there on the software side so occasional glance to your monitor screen will not give you screen glare.

Cheers
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

Another option would be to put the scribble tape on say a MAC27 inch screen top and bottom.

The physical controller is 427 x 186 x 52 millimeters, about 17 x 7.5 x 2 inches.

I just tried with a sheet of A4 copy paper and its quite easy to get at least 12 abbreviated names/ numbers etc. BD-SD-HC- OHH-CHH- etc etc.

In a logical flow of left to right it will be easy to zone in on your sound and then mix without the screen Turn it off and just twist that knob to your liking.

Another option for that one fader would be presonus faderport.

There are workarounds.

Cheers
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
First off, expected street price in the US is $999,
Then why do Sweetwater have them listed for $1199.

Cheers
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Then why do Sweetwater have them listed for $1199.

Cheers
frontendaudio has it listed at 999$
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

thanks for that MatSkull

Big difference between retailers/ online stores.

I normally do the biz with Sweetwater but it certainly pays to look around.

Sweetwater dont like to do price matching but I'll pressure my sales engineer.

Looks like it won't be in stock until the 30-12-13.

I guess it will make a good xmas or new year present.

Cheers
Old 10th November 2013
Brb
Gear Addict

Any news on what other console emulations will be avalible on luanch?
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

To my knowledge there are none but I am sure Softube will and should have something in the pipeline imminently as I believe this is their target product/main customer demographic.

It shows in the product demo the Trident eq and others but I believe only the uk 4k will be the first.

They could also port over any of their other plug ins as Console 1 packs.

Would love to see a Neve console as well.

Cheers
Old 10th November 2013
Brb
Gear Addict

I wanna see neve, API, redd, etc...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search