The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help identifying noise problem?
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Help identifying noise problem?

Hey all,

I'm having serious trouble with a loud static/hum that just won't go away when I try to record DI. I'm currently recording directly from my Tascam US-1800 to my computer, which is a Windows desktop I built myself. I used an Asus P5Q motherboard and I'm using the built in Realtek soundcard for sound.

I have previously tried using a Furhman Power Condition on both the interface and the computer, I've tried different USB cords and USB slots, I've tried other interfaces with my computer, I've tried different guitars.... nothing. I just have no idea what else to try. Any help would be appreciated, I've attached an MP3 of the sound in question. Usually, the hum is a little louder but this one is mostly the static.

Thanks so much!
Attached Files

untitled.mp3 (117.3 KB, 368 views)

Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

That is not static, it is hiss from the electronics. It sounds as if you have the gain turned way up on the interface. The hum is mains hum. Make sure that your computer is properly earthed. This would also sound loud with the interface gain turned right up. Also, make sure that the only input on your interface that is turned up is the one that you are using, so that you do not add to the noise from unused inputs that have nothing connected to them.
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzomixer View Post
That is not static, it is hiss from the electronics. It sounds as if you have the gain turned way up on the interface. The hum is mains hum. Make sure that your computer is properly earthed. This would also sound loud with the interface gain turned right up. Also, make sure that the only input on your interface that is turned up is the one that you are using, so that you do not add to the noise from unused inputs that have nothing connected to them.
Thank you for the response, but I have all the other inputs on the Tascam turned off, and the one I'm using at about 50%. Usually, there is a more high pitched sound with the static but this recording was mostly static. It's so bad that I have to choke my sound with a noise gate turned up so high that Pod Farm and other VSTs barely pick up my guitar. I'll try to record a better example of what I mean. By earthing my computer you mean grounding correct? As I said, I have used a power conditioner with it and it didn't make a difference.
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Here's a better example of what I mean, with distortion to highlight my issue.
Attached Files

untitled2.mp3 (193.9 KB, 367 views)

Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

That noise might be the electrically noisy environment inside your computer being picked up by the Realtek soundcard. How are you connecting the Tascam to the computer?
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
That noise might be the electrically noisy environment inside your computer being picked up by the Realtek soundcard. How are you connecting the Tascam to the computer?
Connecting it via USB, the other interface I used was via USB as well. Tried all kind of different USB cables and multiple slots.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

You say this happens when you record DI. What to what are you connecting?
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
You say this happens when you record DI. What to what are you connecting?
Guitar-Instrument cable-Tascam-USB Cable-PC
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I see that you have tried different guitars. Have you tried a different guitar cable?
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
I see that you have tried different guitars. Have you tried a different guitar cable?
Yes I have, tried multiple guitars. The noise exists without instrument cables plugged in, just USB.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Did the noise just start one day, or has it always been there? The two possibilities that I can think of are a faulty US 1800, or a problem with the usb, either in the US 1800, or your computer.
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Did the noise just start one day, or has it always been there? The two possibilities that I can think of are a faulty US 1800, or a problem with the usb, either in the US 1800, or your computer.
It's been there since I've started trying to record at home, and I've tried multiple different interfaces with this computer and they all have the same problem.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

This being the case it all points to your computer, or a component of it being the culprit. If you can hear the noise while monitoring the output of the Realtek card with no interface or or any other audio or usb device connected this would confirm this. The only other thing that could cause this sort of noise is another very electrically noisy device such as a refrigerator or air conditioner on the same power circuit, which is being picked up by the computer.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search