The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
HDD "mirroring"?
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head

HDD "mirroring"?

Hi,

This is going to be my first time doing this process so sorry if my explanation is difficult to understand.

I found this harddrive, what some people are calling it the best balanced SSD + HDD hybrid (SSHD) out in the market right now.

Newegg.com - Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB MLC/8GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop Solid State Hybrid Drive

I want to transfer or "mirror" (i think its called) my current C to the new SSHD without dealing with the hassle or downtime so i can just continue with what i've been doing.

How are you guys doing this?
any Tips & Tricks for a noobie?
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Nut

I think you want to be able to clone your hard drive not mirror it.

Usually when people say mirroring thy are talking about raid 1 . Where the hard drive volume is actually striped across 2 drives. So if one drive fails then you can continue working and rebuild the failed hard drive.

Mirroring can be easily done but you need to have 2 drives the same size to make it work. Or one drive larger but the raid will only be the size of the smallest drive so you lose usable space on a larger drive

I think you just want to clone your current hard drive and transfer all your data to new drive ? I think there are solutions by accronis that works well and I believe they are free. Also look into clonezilla or similar software. If you google norton ghost alternatives there are a bunch of open source options for you to clone your drive.

Hope this explains everything.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search