The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Excellent free saturation plug-in (followed by questions)
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

Excellent free saturation plug-in (followed by questions)

I'm feeling nerdy and in need for that geeky touch, so i'm quickly going to share this sweet find I stumbled accross (here on gearslutz)

IVGI

IVGI - saturation & distortion
IVGI can deliver very soft and subtle saturation, that feels at home
on the master buss. It is equally capable of very dense and dirty
distortion effects to spice up single tracks.

IVGI's base sound is comparable to the DESK mode in the big
brother SDRR.

Just as SDRR, IVGI reacts dynamically to the input signal. Even the
modelled fluctuations react dynamically and also change depending
on the drive setting, so that it doesn't get in the way of the
SOUND. Stereo tracks benefit from it's modelled crosstalk behaviour.
Just as its big brother SDRR, IVGI features a “Controlled
Randomness”, which determines the internal drift and variance inside
the unit. It contributes to the livelyness and realness of IVGI's
saturation character. All internal processes are modulated to some
extent to make this possible.

IVGI gives you a sensible amount of controls to manipulate the
character of the saturation itself. It offers a unique ASYM MIX knob
to alter the symmetry of the signal without affecting the harmonic
content much. Usually, asymmetry leads to an increase of even
order harmonics. But in IVGI's case, dialing the asymmetry makes
the negative part of the signal “cleaner”. This way you can preserve
the dynamic structrure of the source and get a more transparent
result. Acually, you can think of ASYM MIX as a transparency
control.

IVGI also lets you alter the frequency dependency of the saturation
with the RESPONSE control.

IVGI is internally calibrated to 0VU = -18dBFS.

IVGI is free! So try it out for yourself.

Massive kudos to those guys for making it free, it's really helped with the harshness I've been experiencing and pulling my hair about lately. I've got it on the master bus now and it's really making my track sound more pleasing and inspiring to work with. It's very subtle on most settings, it just smooths things out in a great way. Best quality out of any free plug-in I've found so far. Came out of the blue. Give it a go!

Ite slutz, maybe you can help me. I'm using fireface UCX, so rather high fidelity for my standards (I've had it for 2 months just about). I love the actual quality of the sound, it's really stellar at times (for my standards once again), but i'm finding it extremely hard to "learn it". My only microphones being SM57 and Røde nt2-a, I'm really struggling with upper mid-range raspiness and overall harshness of sound, on guitars and most especially guitars. I should be really inspired by the new piece of kit but in reality I'm pulling my hair and hating everything I do, constantly wondering if I need better suited microphones or a better room, better monitors... Or if I should just give up and end it with life "L.O.L." I'm a sad wreck. But surely I've just got to learn to deal with all this new sonic information being streamed into my daw.
so any helpful advice would be priceless right now.
Don't know if people will see this, I might copy and paste it into a new thread if I don't get answers.
Love y'all
Art-ur
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear
Dude! THANKS...this thing is the bomb...also their free DCi-1 comp!!!!!!!
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pulp View Post
I'm feeling nerdy and in need for that geeky touch, so i'm quickly going to share this sweet find I stumbled accross (here on gearslutz)

IVGI

IVGI - saturation & distortion
IVGI can deliver very soft and subtle saturation, that feels at home
on the master buss. It is equally capable of very dense and dirty
distortion effects to spice up single tracks.

IVGI's base sound is comparable to the DESK mode in the big
brother SDRR.

Just as SDRR, IVGI reacts dynamically to the input signal. Even the
modelled fluctuations react dynamically and also change depending
on the drive setting, so that it doesn't get in the way of the
SOUND. Stereo tracks benefit from it's modelled crosstalk behaviour.
Just as its big brother SDRR, IVGI features a “Controlled
Randomness”, which determines the internal drift and variance inside
the unit. It contributes to the livelyness and realness of IVGI's
saturation character. All internal processes are modulated to some
extent to make this possible.

IVGI gives you a sensible amount of controls to manipulate the
character of the saturation itself. It offers a unique ASYM MIX knob
to alter the symmetry of the signal without affecting the harmonic
content much. Usually, asymmetry leads to an increase of even
order harmonics. But in IVGI's case, dialing the asymmetry makes
the negative part of the signal “cleaner”. This way you can preserve
the dynamic structrure of the source and get a more transparent
result. Acually, you can think of ASYM MIX as a transparency
control.

IVGI also lets you alter the frequency dependency of the saturation
with the RESPONSE control.

IVGI is internally calibrated to 0VU = -18dBFS.

IVGI is free! So try it out for yourself.

Massive kudos to those guys for making it free, it's really helped with the harshness I've been experiencing and pulling my hair about lately. I've got it on the master bus now and it's really making my track sound more pleasing and inspiring to work with. It's very subtle on most settings, it just smooths things out in a great way. Best quality out of any free plug-in I've found so far. Came out of the blue. Give it a go!

Ite slutz, maybe you can help me. I'm using fireface UCX, so rather high fidelity for my standards (I've had it for 2 months just about). I love the actual quality of the sound, it's really stellar at times (for my standards once again), but i'm finding it extremely hard to "learn it". My only microphones being SM57 and Røde nt2-a, I'm really struggling with upper mid-range raspiness and overall harshness of sound, on guitars and most especially guitars. I should be really inspired by the new piece of kit but in reality I'm pulling my hair and hating everything I do, constantly wondering if I need better suited microphones or a better room, better monitors... Or if I should just give up and end it with life "L.O.L." I'm a sad wreck. But surely I've just got to learn to deal with all this new sonic information being streamed into my daw.
so any helpful advice would be priceless right now.
Don't know if people will see this, I might copy and paste it into a new thread if I don't get answers.
Love y'all
Art-ur
I'd go for a Audio Technical 4040 or 4033!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear
I have a ucx, the preamps and I/o is super clean.

So, if you're having a harshness issue, it's because of your room or mic choices. Only you can really figure out what to replace there. The ucx gives you what you gave it

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Guru

Same here ....
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Classictunz, Thank you for the suggestions, I'm gonna look into it.
CPheonix, thanks for the reassuring comment. I do love the sheer quality of the damn thing and it's painful to start questioning a brand new piece of kit. I goes along with what I've been thinking.

Jeezo! Do check the saturation, it's helped immensely with the problems I was describing. I've been using it on the master of every project i'm working on since finding it 2 days ago. On subtle configurations, you just get the "feeling" (intuition) that some unpleasantness has been lifted from the sound. Use it in more subtly-drastic settings, and the A-B (comparisons) are really so flagrant. Getting smooth highs now, and I can really fatten, broaden and warm up the mid-lower end in ways that are really pleasing and are kind of what my inexperienced mind would associate with tape sound signatures. From there I imagine you could go for many kinds of "colored" sound that a piece of kit would give you, without being comitted to that sound (since we're using a super-neutral) interface. It makes real sense to me reading more experienced users say you can dirty up clean but not the other way around. Of course, I haven't got proper monitors yet/atm so I couldn't go the whole way into telling you if it creates messy, unwanted details.
Anyway, for €22 the full version would seem like a no-brainer, if it carries on proving itself so useful. I've just spent so much time these past weeks reading posts on here and trying to get a warm sound that I like, now I can breathe again and feel inspired with my work. Work is good, love is sweet :thumbsup:
Nice to geek out with y'all. Good night
Art-ur
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I like this plugin!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search