The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
how many simultaneous tracks can i record on my mac HD?
Old 12th October 2013
how many simultaneous tracks can i record on my mac HD?

hey guys,
I am curious as to how many tracks I would be able to record at once to my 2011 macbook pro. It has 2.2 gh i7 processor with a 500 gb sata drive. i remember watching a video somewhere stating that the amunt of data being able to be written at once to your drive affects the number of tracks you are able to record. would getting an external hd help this solution? i was planning on getting a 1 tb firewire 800 drive to use to save my project files to. is this a bad idea? thanks
Old 12th October 2013
Good FW800 hard drive should be able to write 50-60MB/s, that is about 100 tracks of 24bit/192kHz, or 400 tracks of 24bit/48kHz writing to the disk. So, it should relieve disk I/O of the system drive, if that is the bottleneck of your system.
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear
I stream 16 tracks 24/88.2 at once to a 7200rpm fw800 drive. My MBP is a 2008 2.2 duo.

Get an external for audio projects streaming. When the internal gets too full your performance will suffer.
Old 12th October 2013
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search