The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMG Equilibrium EQ Best Setup Settings Ever
Old 8th September 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

DMG Equilibrium EQ Best Setup Settings Ever

I posted this in another thread but, figured I'd do this in a separate thread on it's own, as these settings can make a world of difference with this EQ.

So please, when answering this, give your reasons why you set it up this way
and how you came to these settings.
I as I'm sure everyone here will value this info.
I'll also give you my why's and how I've set mine up as well as I'm using it in a session right now.
Soon as I'm out of this mix session I will share my setting as well.

Here we go....

What buffer setting are you guys using. I have Equilibrium EQ and love it.
Just wanted to know what settings you guys use to get the best out of this unit/plugin?

Under FIR of course...

1. Which Phase: Linear, Full Minimum, ZLA, Analogue or Free?

2. Which Impulse Length?

3. What Impulse Padding?

4. Which Window Shape?

5. What Window Parameter?


Thx guys as always and hopefully Dave will chime in to let us know what he thinks would be some best setting as well.

Marc
Old 8th September 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
I love Equilibrium, but I'm willing to criticize it here. There's just too many parameters!

I've been doing basic eq'ing in IR mode, and then when I have things roughly right, switching to
FIR
Zero-latency analogue
impulse length 65536
with a rectangular window.

The rectangular window sees to me to add something I like, something less clean maybe? Could be my imagination. I can never tell a difference with the impulse padding, but I haven't messed with it much partly for that reason.

With those settings Equilibrium sounds fantastic, but becomes a pain to work with, because there's a bunch of delay when dragging curves. It gets close to unusable for me in real time. I have to stop the playback, make an eq adjustment, rewind, check the playback, etc. But I rarely have to do much adjusting

I find that switching to FIR mode like this, after having setup basic eq, makes a really big difference. It just gives everything more dimension. If you doubt this, try it live--start a project playing, and change from IR to FIR mode on the fly
Old 8th September 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
I do fir mode, analog (not the low latency one). The only parameter I modify is the impulse length, the longer the better. Usually if I am doing minimal eqing a lower (1024 or 2048) will suffice, but with bigger boosts/cuts I like 8192 or whatever my poor computer can handle. I used minimum phase once on a master as it stayed closer to the mix, but usually minimum or linear dulls transients too much for my liking.
Equilibrium sounds so good I hope I get to meet Dave Gamble and give him a hug.
Old 10th September 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
I love Equilibrium, but I'm willing to criticize it here. There's just too many parameters!

I've been doing basic eq'ing in IR mode, and then when I have things roughly right, switching to
FIR
Zero-latency analogue
impulse length 65536
with a rectangular window.

The rectangular window sees to me to add something I like, something less clean maybe? Could be my imagination. I can never tell a difference with the impulse padding, but I haven't messed with it much partly for that reason.

With those settings Equilibrium sounds fantastic, but becomes a pain to work with, because there's a bunch of delay when dragging curves. It gets close to unusable for me in real time. I have to stop the playback, make an eq adjustment, rewind, check the playback, etc. But I rarely have to do much adjusting

I find that switching to FIR mode like this, after having setup basic eq, makes a really big difference. It just gives everything more dimension. If you doubt this, try it live--start a project playing, and change from IR to FIR mode on the fly
I agree. I use it the same way.
I can't use it at 65xxx though. My Mac can't handle it.
I'm not in front of my Mac right now but, will be tonight.
I think I use the 32xxx and 1x. I've switched to 2x but, didn't make a big difference to me either. Wonder if anyone can explain that function.
I use Blackman and Rectangular.

I need to take more time with FIR to really get to know it's ins and outs.
I use IIR @ 512. Just sounds fuller in the lowend to me.

I don't mind the extras. I'm glad he set it up this way.
You don't have to dive in as much but, when your ready to do so, you can and it's all right there.
That's what I like.

JusMyThoughts...

Marc
Old 10th September 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I do fir mode, analog (not the low latency one). The only parameter I modify is the impulse length, the longer the better. Usually if I am doing minimal eqing a lower (1024 or 2048) will suffice, but with bigger boosts/cuts I like 8192 or whatever my poor computer can handle. I used minimum phase once on a master as it stayed closer to the mix, but usually minimum or linear dulls transients too much for my liking.
Equilibrium sounds so good I hope I get to meet Dave Gamble and give him a hug.
Hey Thermos,

For some reason, I find IIR @ 512 better than FIR until you go more than 4056. Like 8192, thats when FIR starts to sounds as good if not better but, not on everything.
Have you tried IIR @ 512?
Be interesting to see what'cha think.

Thx guys,

Keep'em coming...

Marc
Old 10th September 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Hey Thermos,

For some reason, I find IIR @ 512 better than FIR until you go more than 4056. Like 8192, thats when FIR starts to sounds as good if not better but, not on everything.
Have you tried IIR @ 512?
Be interesting to see what'cha think.

Thx guys,

Keep'em coming...

Marc
IIR doesn't have the same weight as FIR for whatever reason, maybe sweeter and less warped, but not as weighty.
Old 10th September 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
IIR doesn't have the same weight as FIR for whatever reason, maybe sweeter and less warped, but not as weighty.
really? You think so. Maybe I need to listen again.
Seemed to me that it did but, it was a quick test so, you might be right.
I'll be at my studio tonight.
I'll chime back in then.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 10th September 2013
  #8
FIR + 32k IR length + 250 curves on parallel mode = OMFG.
Old 11th September 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
really? You think so. Maybe I need to listen again.
Seemed to me that it did but, it was a quick test so, you might be right.
I'll be at my studio tonight.
I'll chime back in then.

Thanks,

Marc
Yeah, IIR gives me the ickies unfortunately. Just trying it again, reminds me of eq plugs of yesteryear (but the best version of that). I need a faster computer!
Old 11th September 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
CHAOS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
FIR + 32k IR length + 250 curves on parallel mode = OMFG.
Oh yes! In full agreement here.
Old 12th September 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Dynamikemusic's Avatar
As a Fabfilter Pro-Q user I'm totally new to this plug-in but after reading so much positive messages I'll give it a try so I can hear it with my own ears. There are a lot of parameters indeed so this thread could be helpful! For now, I'm testing it on a lead synth in comparison with almost the same Pro-Q settings (because the Q knobs are slightly different).

Usage: highest quality in the universe heh He-Man _O_ The piano bar seems to be helpful when finding a key note (from a kick for example). But I turned it off for now. Let's see, there's no option to change the reach from 18dB to 30dB? Hmz probably not. But 24 is also fine.

Quote:
FIR + 32k IR length + 250 curves on parallel mode = OMFG.
To give it a start - from default - I also choosed 32768 Impulse Length. But what about the 250 curves on parallel mode? The only thing I see are 3 choices > 1) All Series 2) Peaks Parallel 3) Peaks and Shelves Parallel. Maybe I'm missing something?

It seems my lead synth sounds 'warmer' with this EQ. It also adds more highs. The Pro-Q concentrates more on the midrange. To achieve a similar result I need to add an exciter like Waves' Aphex one or SPL's Vitalizer MK2-T. Hmz, interesting Will give it a new try tomorrow, my ears are no longer reliable enough.
Old 14th September 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

k, so I have time to talk about this plugin and my settings.

When in FIR I use ,

All Series/Analogue/16384(Sometimes 32768)/x2/Rectangular(sometimes Blackman/0.50

Seems to work wonders for me.

When in IIR I use

Digital + 512

If I'm just HPF/LPF ill use IIR/off

I'm still playing around with it to find the absolute best settings but so far, these are it for me.

Anybody have better setting for this that are proven?

Thanks guys,

Marc
Old 15th September 2013
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

How about someone chiming in that actually knows what these parameters do besides this guess-fest....
Old 16th September 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamikemusic View Post

To give it a start - from default - I also choosed 32768 Impulse Length. But what about the 250 curves on parallel mode? The only thing I see are 3 choices > 1) All Series 2) Peaks Parallel 3) Peaks and Shelves Parallel. Maybe I'm missing something?

It seems my lead synth sounds 'warmer' with this EQ. It also adds more highs. The Pro-Q concentrates more on the midrange. To achieve a similar result I need to add an exciter like Waves' Aphex one or SPL's Vitalizer MK2-T. Hmz, interesting Will give it a new try tomorrow, my ears are no longer reliable enough.
Equilibrium lets you emulate the characteristic curves of various well known hardware eqs. So for any single peak you can choose a bunch of curves that vary like the hardware varies. There's curves for the API 550, for example. It's in the manual. I think 250 refers to a Neve desk?

It's not found in the FIR settings though, you pick a curve by clicking in the window where it says Peak or lsf or hsf.
Old 16th September 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
Equilibrium lets you emulate the characteristic curves of various well known hardware eqs. So for any single peak you can choose a bunch of curves that vary like the hardware varies. There's curves for the API 550, for example. It's in the manual. I think 250 refers to a Neve desk?

It's not found in the FIR settings though, you pick a curve by clicking in the window where it says Peak or lsf or hsf.
250 is Sontec.
Old 16th September 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vank View Post
How about someone chiming in that actually knows what these parameters do besides this guess-fest....
DMG compassion has a great manual. Equibrium's is a little less great. There are a bunch of things not well explained. For example, I can set five bands of curves based on the API 550, I know how to do that. But if I wanted the most realistic imitation of the hardware, how would I set it?

Maybe there's no simple answer to that, or maybe the answer is "why are you trying to imitate hardware when equilibrium can do so much more?" I'd like to have a better sense of what I'm doing when I tweak he FIR settings, but I've no formal training an am math-averse and maybe it's hard to explain in words
Old 16th September 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
250 is Sontec.
That's right, I forgot. I have a preset called sontec 250. I once looked all that up and made presets for vintage eqs. I use the 550 most of the time
Old 16th September 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vank View Post
How about someone chiming in that actually knows what these parameters do besides this guess-fest....
I agree. I admit I don't know what all of these functions do but, would love to know how all of them work and why these settings sound best.

Marc
Old 16th September 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Dynamikemusic's Avatar
Thanks for the 250 explanation!
Old 16th September 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamikemusic View Post
Thanks for the 250 explanation!
It's one of the many cool features of Equilibrium. You can set it so it responds like a bunch of classic eqs--it may not "sound exactly the same"--don't want to get into the whole software vs hardware debate--but it works the same way, with the same range of changes to Q, for example, and with the same kinds of phase cancellations. You can set it up to have the limits of hardware, or to have the basic shape of the hardware unit without the limits imposed by hardware.

In another thread here, Dave Gamble argued that Equilibrium can sound indistinguishable from the hardware it's set to emulate, because eqs, with very few exceptions, were designed to have minimal noise and maximum transparency--there are no "analogue warmth" producing elements like transformers and tubes.

See here: Nebula vs. Algorithmic EQs
Old 17th September 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Dynamikemusic's Avatar
Well, I must admit that I won't use such an emulation if I already have a good one. I saw for example some Pultec settings but I'm pretty happy with my UAD one. So let's say it's a bonus (for now).
Old 17th September 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Kindred's Avatar
 

I got this bundle recently - don't know how I ever got by without them. Still coming to grips with the workflow of Equilibrium (I am used to Pro-Q) but getting there.

FYI...to call Compassion a "compressor" would be a gross understatement - the gating and transient shaping are amazing.

Anyone have any thoughts on how the emulations in Compassion stack up against high quality dedicated emulations like VBC or The Glue?
Old 17th September 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
There's a guy here who made a series of presets based on software compressors. For example I really liked the ni vari-comp. this guy made a preset based on the vari-comp and its excellent--everything I liked about he vari comp only better, more defined more control. I don't miss the vari comp at all. I'll try to find that thread and the link.

Compassion is fantastic but its very easy to quickly make bad sounds if you don't have some idea what you're doing. IMHO Dave did himself a bit of a dis-service by not making the MODS really obvious

Also compassion doesn't exactly model saturation/distortion. It can make an effect as "soft" as a saturated signal, but its not a "plunk this on and hey presto" kind of thing
Old 17th September 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
Here's the thread, with the link to the presets

DMG Audio Compassion Presets (incl. vintage compressor emulations)


Guy goes by the name of "sound palace". Really nice work he's done
Old 26th September 2013
  #25
Which settings are the best for mixing without having a bid CPU consumption ?
Old 13th December 2013
  #26
Here for the gear
 

FWIW...

Lead Vocs and Mix Bus:

FIR
Free
262144
8
Rectangle
0.50

Keeps things clean with wide frequency range.

Instrument Tracks:

FIR
Analogue (frequently)
131072 or 65536 (My mac can't handle higher than this in a dense mix)
8
Rectangle (frequently, but use others)

The analogue phase setting seems to add a bit of distortion so I use it if I need the track to pop out a bit. Also, getting this to work at 262144 on the mix bus is problematic due to stereo channel and high signal density. I've had to upgrade my Mac to 3.46 12-core (bought a couple of CPUs used off ebay) and use AULab/Soundflower/Aggegrate Device to host Equilibrium so I can get around Logic's woefully inadequate CPU resource management.
Old 15th May 2014
  #27
Lives for gear
 

I have a question regarding the best mode for the following:

Layering Kick Drums - I use a synthesized Sine-wav Kick (fundamental in key of the song between 40-60hz), and layer it with natural Kick drum samples for the top end/body/character. In order to do this I have to be very specific with the HPF on the top layer. Is linear phase mode, analog phase or minimum phase mode best for this application?

EQING Kick - after HPF, for cuts/boosts in the EQ to remove frequency masking with the bass, which mode is best?

Bass HPF - I mult my bass to 2 tracks, 1 which takes care of the low end, and one which filters out a lot of the low end and focuses on the notes/midrange and highs. In order to HPF the mult, which mode is best?

EQING Bass - same as the kick, cuts and boosts to remove frequency masking with the kick.

Allpass Filter on Synth Bass - what mode is best?

THANKS!
Old 19th May 2014
  #28
Lives for gear
 

bump...seems like i am having the best results with linear phase on the bass and kick for eqing (HPF and small cuts and boosts)...and analogue for the all pass. no audible pre-ringing as far as i can hear, and it seems to have the most clarity in the low end on linear-phase, and the least "artifacts"...though i'm interested to hear other's opinions/thoughts on this.
Old 19th May 2014
  #29
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
I have used minimum phase exactly once, and use analog phase on everything else. If I am just hi passing, sometimes I'll use IIR, but FIR always sounds deeper image wise and closer to my hardware boxes. Oh I used Linear phase once to do a 6 db notch, but...
Old 19th May 2014
  #30
Lives for gear
 

why do you choose analogue over minimum, and linear? thanks!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1075 views: 218045
Avatar for fustrun
fustrun 4 weeks ago
replies: 161 views: 26615
Avatar for Dynamikemusic
Dynamikemusic 13th October 2013
replies: 530 views: 71727
Avatar for joe_04_04
joe_04_04 12th August 2015
replies: 453 views: 68984
Avatar for djrustycans
djrustycans 6 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump