The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMG Equilibrium EQ Best Setup Settings Ever
Old 19th May 2014
Lives for gear

a/bing between analogue and linear phase, and think i am going to go with analogue.
Old 19th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRECS View Post
why do you choose analogue over minimum, and linear? thanks!
Sound.
Old 6th March 2015
Deleted 691ca21
I have a standard preset mastering EQ I've made. Turned off all the bling. Butterworth HPF, First Order Low Shelf, Low Mid DMG Peak, Tilt, Upper Mid DMG Peak, First Order High Shelf and Butterworth LPF. I'll add more Peaking bands if needed, but not often. Works for me!

Settings are sometimes Parallel, sometimes Series, depending. IIR, Compensation 512, Phase On.

CPU is low and sound is great and extremely transparent! Have never actually had the time to play with the FIR modes...
Attached Thumbnails
DMG Equilibrium EQ Best Setup Settings Ever-clipboard01.jpg  
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 691ca21 View Post
Have never actually had the time to play with the FIR modes...
Give them a try.
Impulse length: 65536
Window shape: Kaiser, Blackman-Harris or Blackman-Nutall
Window parameter: default 0.5 works nice (matters only for Kaiser window). Higher = steeper window, less ripple artifacts but more distorted phase response. Make sure you're don't distort the impulse much, but still "fading in and out" it properly.

Linear, Analogue or Full Minimum phase (in that order)
"Analogue" is the most interesting. It yields the closest possible to hardware phase response, if that's your goal.

Impulse response view is very helpful in showing how close it to ideal.

With ridiculous impulse lengths like 262k it's possible to use even Rectangular window without much artifacts.

By the way, I recently got rid of Compassion compressor, but bought Equilibrium instead. It has too much digital grit for my tastes. The developer cannot be the best in everything.
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
I have a standard preset mastering EQ I've made. Turned off all the bling. Butterworth HPF, First Order Low Shelf, Low Mid DMG Peak, Tilt, Upper Mid DMG Peak, First Order High Shelf and Butterworth LPF. I'll add more Peaking bands if needed, but not often. Works for me!

Settings are sometimes Parallel, sometimes Series, depending. IIR, Compensation 512, Phase On.

CPU is low and sound is great and extremely transparent! Have never actually had the time to play with the FIR modes...
FIR modes maintain the dimension better if the impulse length is high enough. Fir mode/analog with high impulse length sounds super similar to my hardware solid-state eqs (Sontec and Barry Porter). Sometimes preferable to both.
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_mod View Post
... "Analogue" is the most interesting. It yields the closest possible to hardware phase response....
Which hardware?
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbruner View Post
Which hardware?
Compared some of them with impulses taken from actual eqs on phase response graph, namely 550 and 4000e. These names are suggestive and there is a list somewhere.

Phase response, because it's the most crucial. 99% of eq sound is phase response, the rest is harmonic distortion.

Digital IIR filters doesn't have the same phase response as analog, but the proper can be achieved with FIR filters/convolution, if distortion is no interest.
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_mod View Post
Compared some of them with impulses taken from actual eqs on phase response graph, namely 550 and 4000e. These names are suggestive and there is a list somewhere.

Phase response, because it's the most crucial. 99% of eq sound is phase response, the rest is harmonic distortion.

Digital IIR filters doesn't have the same phase response as analog, but the proper can be achieved with FIR filters/convolution, if distortion is no interest.
Thanks.
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post

Similar to my set up, I prefer the bling off also.

What I like about Equilibrium over FF Pro Q2 is the fact you can see all you EQ info at once - with FF Pro Q2 you have to click the analyser points/curve to get the info - Pro Q is a click fest!

That Digital+Phase switch really fixes up the phase to have that analog thing you get with the Analog FIR response.

Sometimes it's too much and I want the cleanness of the IIR without it.

The great thing about Equilibrium is 0.25dB of gain is actually audible especially when in FIR mode just like a hardware mastering EQ.

Sometimes I make a curve in IIR and then run another instance in FIR Analog parallel 250 curves and just do some polishing to get the analog thing maybe just on the sides.

It's just an amazing plugin, I can't image I'll ever out grow it!
Old 16th March 2015
Gear Maniac

What are the best settings for MIX situation where on the one hand one wants analog phase but on the other hand, one has inferior CPU (9550) ?

Thanks
Old 16th March 2015
Deleted 691ca21
IIR with Digital+ Compensation (play with which numbers give you the best latency, not important for me so mine's always on 512) and Digital+ Phase. I use that for mastering duties, sounds fab, and much lower CPU than the FIR modes.
Old 16th March 2015
Lives for gear

With due respect ...

I'm looking to better understand the IIR - FIR difference and, importantly ... preference.

I've been using the FIR in 'full min' mode, and eventually take the window up to 131072 for final render. I start at the much lower 8192 or 16 ... just to lower latency while making adjustments.

I'm still learning this beast ... sonically, it has up'd my FF-EQ-2 [which is still very nice] ...

I also tend to use the DMG curves. Shelves can be other settings.

We all know the 'ear of the beholder' ... but I'd like to hear from other mastering engineers their sonic observations. I most work as a mastering/restoration engineer after 30 years experience]. The digital base is 'todays' focus.

Thanks for any shared insights.
Old 16th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
With due respect ...

I'm looking to better understand the IIR - FIR difference and, importantly ... preference.

I've been using the FIR in 'full min' mode, and eventually take the window up to 131072 for final render. I start at the much lower 8192 or 16 ... just to lower latency while making adjustments.

I'm still learning this beast ... sonically, it has up'd my FF-EQ-2 [which is still very nice] ...
Smilies

I also tend to use the DMG curves. Shelves can be other settings.

We all know the 'ear of the beholder' ... but I'd like to hear from other mastering engineers their sonic observations. I most work as a mastering/restoration engineer after 30 years experience]. The digital base is 'todays' focus.

Thanks for any shared insights.
For me with Equilibrium, it's a digital EQ and it's an analog EQ.

So by that I mean, when you want to do the digital EQ thing and make very clean EQ cuts and boots the DMG curves with just IIR (plus some compensation) gives a very clean sound. In fact the DMG curves in std IIR null to silence with FF Pro Q 2. (although oddly 0.71 Q on the DMG = 1.0 Q on the FF Pro Q2!)

But if you want to do the gentle sonic massaging thing you would do with a Sontec or GML 8200 then the Analog phase FIR gives that analog phase vibe that we love so much from analog units.

If find any serious sculpting with the DMG curves on FIR with Analog Phase just too much .... well phase shift!

Even the Digital + Phase on/off toggle makes a heck of a difference in IIR mode.

Analog mastering EQ can be very powerful to the program material, Equilibrium has got that thing down in buckets.

When I'm in Analog Phase FIR mode I'm doing very gentle +0.5 / +1.0dB changes, maybe more with parallel peaks and shelves.

The Free Phase settings is actually brilliant as you can literally have a couple of cuts as linear and a couple of boosts as analog phase .... Equilibrium is a bit mind blowing really.

I cannot image ever buying another EQ - digital OR analog!
Old 16th March 2015
Lives for gear

'The HighTenor' ...

This has to be THE most informative post I've read regarding DMG options !

Thank-you for taking the extra time to explain, relate, compare some of the hows and whys. Thank-you.

From this, I can see that I definitely need to listen to the IIR mode. I tended to ignore it, thinking that it was aimed more to light CPU/ multiple instances [for mixing]. The mastering side has different demands ... and for my FXChain, I looked to DMG for precision, clean, transparent correction. All the 'color' I want from other special units.

From my recent experimenting, the points you've raised are exactly issues I've bumped into. I will go back to my 'chain' with this new perspective/insight.

Thank-you.
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear
So I recently plunked down the cash on Equilibrium, and I am learning the hard way that it is important to know one's tools inside and out. I was using IIR to do a simple HPF on both the master buss and the kick drum. The low end on this track has not felt right the entire time that I have been mixing it. On a whim, I switched both Equilibrium instances to FIR and Linear phase, and the kick drum and the rest of the low frequency content sounds sooooooooooooo much better now. I'm not sure why, but IIR was doing some nasy stuff to the low frequencies, especially the kick drum. From what I have been reading, I would expect linear phase to perhaps cause issues on the kick drum, but that does not seem to be the case. The real improvement in sound quality, in this case, resulted from ditching IIR.

FIR does eat CPU for breakfast, though. I'm using Ableton live 9, and the PDC with MIDI is still messed up for me even in 9.2, so this presents a problem. But man I can't get over how much better this track sounds with FIR!
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKD View Post
So I recently plunked down the cash on Equilibrium, and I am learning the hard way that it is important to know one's tools inside and out. I was using IIR to do a simple HPF on both the master buss and the kick drum. The low end on this track has not felt right the entire time that I have been mixing it. On a whim, I switched both Equilibrium instances to FIR and Linear phase, and the kick drum and the rest of the low frequency content sounds sooooooooooooo much better now. I'm not sure why, but IIR was doing some nasy stuff to the low frequencies, especially the kick drum. From what I have been reading, I would expect linear phase to perhaps cause issues on the kick drum, but that does not seem to be the case. The real improvement in sound quality, in this case, resulted from ditching IIR.

FIR does eat CPU for breakfast, though. I'm using Ableton live 9, and the PDC with MIDI is still messed up for me even in 9.2, so this presents a problem. But man I can't get over how much better this track sounds with FIR!
I find that when working with low end or things in parallel linear phase usually works best. I believe the extra CPU hit is caused by having to maintain the phase relationship of the original sound and IIR doesn't.
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Addict

analog phase @ 8192 window size. sounds lovely on top-endy stuff.
if the daw can't hack the latency, it's zla.
Old 16th November 2015
Hi

Bumping this thread. I'm an existing Equality user, I like the sound of Analog mode, seems smoother.

Would using Equilibrium offer any improvement in sound, where I'm just mixing and not mastering?

Caveat -> not the most technical guy in the world with regards to deep eq theory etc etc
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

I had written off equilibrium, never sounded quite right to me despite exploring both FIR and IIR modes. I decided I must be missing something given all the praise it gets around here so I dove back in tonight. I changed window mode to 'rectangular' and my god what a difference! Word length at 32k and wow this eq sounds amazing now, the 550 curves are just what I was looking for. Try it with some subtle op-amp distortion from fxpansion's maul, total heaven on drums or pretty much anything else! Way beyond the waves plugin I'll be turning up the FIR settings to render, it's really cool you get that option. anyone else think the default kaiser window modesounds weird? I thought that option was a GUI thing so I never messed with it but wow what a difference. Couldn't hear a difference with the window padding or parameter settings though.
Old 27th November 2015
HSi
Lives for gear

Too many buttons, give me tonelux tilt anyday.
Old 9th July 2017
Deleted User
i love the equilibrium only in FIR mode for boosting (and HP) with impulse length of 262144 (65000 is just okay...)!
i compared it on many complex (classical and ... ) projects and found out
the the low-end punch of the FIR mode - even in 64000 - is much better
than IIR mode in low-end department and the highs (shelving filters, for instance) are fantastic!
Specially in "Analogue" mode.

It's about the quality of the low-end, not the quantity of it.
I find myself, for instance, less forced in boosting the double basses in orchestral music in FIR mode.
with smaller boosts, the low-end that I am looking for is there, with great depth and punch.

But sadly in 262144 the computer becomes lame.
not usable at all in mixing sessions...
even the 32000 can make everything very painful while mixing.
I wish I could stay in 262144 even in mix sessions. :- d
After I listened to this kind of quality once, I just can't persuade myself to ignore it anymore. But i have to!!
📝 Reply