The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sonic Flavours R66 or CSR?
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Sonic Flavours R66 or CSR?

I've listened to the demos of the R66 on Sonic Flavours site. I thought they sounded incredible, but I'll also admit that I dont have much to compare them too. I own a few good plug-in reverbs(Waves,PSP,Cakewalk) but I would really like to know how the R66 compares to IK Multimedia's CSR. I dont want to purchase the dongle just to demo CSR but I've heard nothing but good things about it. For those that own CSR already and have heard or own R66, can you tell me how it measures up? And if you havent heard it check here: http://www.inuamusic.com/sonicflavou...ang=en&p_id=53
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

I have R66 - at it's good for long, modulated, artificial tails. It sounds very bad for short rooms and most general purpose reverb situations. Unfortunately its not easy to program - changing the RT60 usually causes the whole algorithmn to fall apart.

I've found it useless on drums - it's best on vocals or pads, sounds that don't expose the individual delays so much.

I don't have CSR, because Pace & ilock are from the devil. I bought a Kurzweil Rumour instead - at least that isn't dependant on a dot.com web server for future proofing. I liked the impulses of the KSP8, and the Rumour is the same algorithmns, and the real thing is much better than impulses.

Even a Behringer reverb can blow away most software reverbs.
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Erata

CSR does not use iLok, but iKey.
Are all dongles from the devil?

ruudman
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Thanx a lot for the thorough reply Kiwiburger. The Kurzweil Rumour and Mangler look very tempting now days despite being able to only play at 44.1 and 48 khz. Most if not all of my sound sources are from VSTi's. Would these two outboard processors be a wise choice vs. staying in the box with a plug-in reverb such as CSR? I know this changes my original question a bit but I'm just trying to narrow it down some. Thanx.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search