The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audient ID22 reviews?
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Nut

I think the headphone amp on the id22 is impressive. I had both a Duet 2 and "upgraded" to the id22. The Duet 2 had that glossy Apogee thing that you either love/hate. I find the Audient DAC to be really accurate and non-flattering, which I prefer. Unfortunately, there are some quality control issues, as I've had to send a DOA unit back for repair. Drivers have always been rock solid for me on OSX.
Old 7th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmixer View Post
I think the headphone amp on the id22 is impressive. I had both a Duet 2 and "upgraded" to the id22. The Duet 2 had that glossy Apogee thing that you either love/hate. I find the Audient DAC to be really accurate and non-flattering, which I prefer. Unfortunately, there are some quality control issues, as I've had to send a DOA unit back for repair. Drivers have always been rock solid for me on OSX.
That’s interesting, I feel like the iD22 outdoes Duet 2 on every possible dimension except the hp, and possibly the dac in general. My impression of the Duet 2 dac was that it’s very detailed in comparison it iD22. I liked literally everything else about the Audient more and my assumption is, though the dac is not as good, it’s really good and not going to hold me back any.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
That’s interesting, I feel like the iD22 outdoes Duet 2 on every possible dimension except the hp, and possibly the dac in general. My impression of the Duet 2 dac was that it’s very detailed in comparison it iD22. I liked literally everything else about the Audient more and my assumption is, though the dac is not as good, it’s really good and not going to hold me back any.
What headphones are you using? Senn 600s over here. Either the iD22 or Duet 2 are great for portable/smaller setups. It's amazing the sonics these small boxes are packing these days.
Old 7th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmixer View Post
What headphones are you using? Senn 600s over here. Either the iD22 or Duet 2 are great for portable/smaller setups. It's amazing the sonics these small boxes are packing these days.
I’m using athm50s and k240s.

I take my iD22 everywhere, but you can have a pretty substantial system too with the ADAT and get enough IO for most things. I use a DIYRE SB2 to sum mics when tracking drums and guitars, or to sum when mixing.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Guys
I have the RME HDSPE AIO, a good friend of mine suggested I upgrade to Audient ID22 do to the conversion quality (RME feeling to mechanical and not musical) anyone here had a chance to compare or upgrade from the RME AIO?
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfir26 View Post
Guys
I have the RME HDSPE AIO, a good friend of mine suggested I upgrade to Audient ID22 do to the conversion quality (RME feeling to mechanical and not musical) anyone here had a chance to compare or upgrade from the RME AIO?
If you can hear a difference I swear I'll stop wearing panties.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
If you can hear a difference I swear I'll stop wearing panties.
So I reckon you compared them side by side?

Last edited by kfir26; 7th September 2018 at 03:13 PM..
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfir26 View Post
So I reckon you compared them side by side?
The panties?
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The duet dac its a lot more detailed but this hissy harsh glossy high end ruins it.The bass detail on the duet its a lot better.I think audient headphone amps are rubbish the duet ones are way better.You get what you pay for always.I dont like both Duet 1 was the one I.liked even if it wasn't so detailed it had amazing sound closer to symphony.This is.prosumer price range btw can't expect pro but its usable to make hit records
Old 14th September 2018
rjx
Lives for gear

Anyone else have loud noisy / clipping / static issues with their ID22?

I've been plagued with unbearable noise since I've purchased my ID22 years ago.

Everything was fine when I purchased it. Then every so often I'd be minding my business and all of a sudden extremely loud noise would be blasting out the monitors. It's deafening. And it scares the **** out of the dogs.

I might have stretches of days or weeks without issues, then it will happen frequently making my ID22 unuseable.

It works great and sounds great when it's operating as it should but it's happening too frequently. Maybe that's what I get for buying a refurbished ID22. Never had issues buying refurbished electronics before.
Old 15th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjx View Post

Everything was fine when I purchased it. Then every so often I'd be minding my business and all of a sudden extremely loud noise would be blasting out the monitors. It's deafening. And it scares the **** out of the dogs.

I might have stretches of days or weeks without issues, then it will happen frequently making my ID22 unuseable.

It works great and sounds great when it's operating as it should but it's happening too frequently. Maybe that's what I get for buying a refurbished ID22. Never had issues buying refurbished electronics before.
I have this issue.. Only it happens in headphone out port. Sent in for repair, got several op-amps replaced. Worked for a while then started again. Now I just kind of deal with it.
Old 15th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjx View Post

I may have had some kind of issue with something like that when I had an iD22

I think the fact that it's a digital volume control means that when something glitches out, the audio goes up to full scale 0 dB for the event.

I hope I'm not remembering that wrong, it has been a while.

If you use a separate analog monitor controller this would never happen. But that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a "big knob" desktop interface.

The reason I sold my iD22 so quickly was these little glitches and imperfections in a few different areas. I probably made a long post about it years ago somewhere on here.
Old 10th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Well I must say that I was very happy with my iD22 until now. The preamps has starting crackling just by turning the unit on. DA works ok but the noise in the preamps are so weird. I have ordered a new power supply to check if it solves the problem. If not ...
Dude I've got the exact same issue after 4,5 years of use. How did it turn out for you?
Old 11th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixpan View Post
Dude I've got the exact same issue after 4,5 years of use. How did it turn out for you?
A new power supply solved it, like 10$ or less
Old 11th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
A new power supply solved it, like 10$ or less
Thanks man. Tried it today, unfortunately it didn't work at all...
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

My id22 took a dump today, been having noise issues , been troubleshooting a bunch, today the id22 went up in smoke... got it Jan 2018 so out of warranty....$500 up in smoke..
Had an older id14, forgot how great that unit sounds, but no returns for outboard gear...
Contacted audient about a repair, shall see how that works out.
Old 7th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
My id22 took a dump today, been having noise issues , been troubleshooting a bunch, today the id22 went up in smoke... got it Jan 2018 so out of warranty....$500 up in smoke..
Had an older id14, forgot how great that unit sounds, but no returns for outboard gear...
Contacted audient about a repair, shall see how that works out.
It is nice it have the rtns in 22, but can use the TRS ins (line level) on iD14 no problem. Just keep the gain down and even juice it a little bit if needed.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

Well it works, but is not the correct way to do this.
I am building high end mic pres.
I only want to hear the mic pre I am using, going directly to the DAC.
Not the added flavor of the audient, or gain stacking issues, and why I use the id22.
It’s fairly critical in exactly how I use it.

No reply’s from audient so far.
Since I need this now, I just ordered a new id22.
If they help me fix the old one great, I have a back up, if not, it will be the last audient, that’s for sure. It’s a few months out of warranty...errr
I have sense read about many others with the same output issues.

Quote:
It is nice it have the rtns in 22, but can use the TRS ins (line level) on iD14 no problem. Just keep the gain down and even juice it a little bit if needed.
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Well it works, but is not the correct way to do this.
I am building high end mic pres.
I only want to hear the mic pre I am using, going directly to the DAC.
Not the added flavor of the audient, or gain stacking issues, and why I use the id22.
It’s fairly critical in exactly how I use it.

No reply’s from audient so far.
Since I need this now, I just ordered a new id22.
If they help me fix the old one great, I have a back up, if not, it will be the last audient, that’s for sure. It’s a few months out of warranty...errr
I have sense read about many others with the same output issues.
In my view it’s technically better, not critical. Anyway, there’s a lot of people reporting failures. I’m going on 5 years with mine and if mine goes I’ll most likely getting another.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Addict

When I build a $3-4k set of preamps, as I am doing right now, and have a client waiting , it is pretty darn critical,
can’t have audient flavor on top of neve 1073, or api 312 clones...or what ever I am building at the time, sends and returns are vital for outboard analog compression and eq as well...I would get some strange looks from many engineers if I did not do this correctly , for a demo, and what would they think of my product? Or my workmanship? And that is what I sell mostly my workmanship...
I need to hear very clearly what one preamp is doing...what a different output transformer does, or different capacitors to that preamp and that preamp only.
I need to know how exactly it will sound, as does a client before they shell out $$ and take it home..
And most of em are pretty golden eared..

Audient agrees, it’s in the users manual...lol
You are stacking gain stages, and getting different tonal flavors in doing so, a mix of two different mic that’s just the physics of it, That sound may be a great sound though...just won’t work for my application.

my id14 has ran flawlessly over the last 3 or 4 years on my moble rig. Still amazing how good that dac is in the id14, at that price point.
But it has not been running 24/7 like my id22 has..

Anyway, if it works for you, have at it. Make music and enjoy it, it’s all that matters, in the end.

Not real happy with audient right now, my main mix room smells like fried voltage regulator...
Or What ever.
And No reply from audient...

Quote:
In my view it’s technically better, not critical. Anyway, there’s a lot of people reporting failures. I’m going on 5 years with mine and if mine goes I’ll most likely getting another.

Last edited by chipss36; 8th August 2019 at 05:42 AM..
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
When I build a $3-4k set of preamps, as I am doing right now, and have a client waiting , it is pretty darn critical,
can’t have audient flavor on top of neve 1073, or api 312 clones...or what ever I am building at the time, sends and returns are vital for outboard analog compression and eq as well...I would get some strange looks from many engineers if I did not do this correctly , for a demo, and what would they think of my product? Or my workmanship? And that is what I sell mostly my workmanship...
I need to hear very clearly what one preamp is doing...what a different output transformer does, or different capacitors to that preamp and that preamp only.
I need to know how exactly it will sound, as does a client before they shell out $$ and take it home..
And most of em are pretty golden eared..

Audient agrees, it’s in the users manual...lol
You are stacking gain stages, and getting different tonal flavors in doing so, a mix of two different mic that’s just the physics of it, That sound may be a great sound though...just won’t work for my application.

my id14 has ran flawlessly over the last 3 or 4 years on my moble rig. Still amazing how good that dac is in the id14, at that price point.
But it has not been running 24/7 like my id22 has..

Anyway, if it works for you, have at it. Make music and enjoy it, it’s all that matters, in the end.

Not real happy with audient right now, my main mix room smells like fried voltage regulator...
Or What ever.
And No reply from audient...
I haven’t agonized too much over this, but comparison is the only way to gauge the importance of the matter. I’ve only quickly and casually checked a handful of times, and while I don’t think the difference is significant I have stuck with the insert rtn/direct-to-AD inputs simply because I assume the additional circuit (that is not adding something discernible in the moment be it good or bad) is not necessary. However the hyper subtleties could add up to be an improvement when stacked up throughout a track for all I know and I wouldn’t doubt they in fact would on the right production. Perhaps a golden ear’d engineer with a more fine tuned production sensibility than myself could predict that, as well as precisely when and when not to use it. I can’t, but I wouldn’t and do not hesitate to use the pad and hpf functions when needed. In short, unless your assessment of the circuit (in a given circumstance) and the qualities it imparts on a signal is a net negative, it only matters in theory.
📝 Reply