The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plugs to replace UAD-1?
Old 19th September 2006
Lives for gear

Plugs to replace UAD-1?

I'm thinking of picking up a Mac Pro, and when I do, I'm going to have to make a decision whether to update my UAD-1 card to a PCIe version, or go to all-native mixing. From what I've heard about the Mac Pro's capabilities, it sounds like the UAD might be superfluous from a processing standpoint....but, there are plugs in there that I love and don't know of adequate substitutes for. So, can anybody suggest native plugs that could do more or less the same job as the following? (I'd like to avoid iLok if possible, but I realize that's increasingly difficult.)

--LA2A (warm subtle compression....use for vocals, winds, sometimes bass, sometimes electric guitar)
--Pultec (I use it mostly for the very musical upper-mids, to bring "size" & brilliance out of small/dull tracks)
--1176 (fast, punchy compression, good for drums, some guitars)
--Precision Limiter (transparent peak limiting with very useful metering)

Those are the ones I use a lot--other than the Plate, but I can use the Altiverb EMT 140 for that.

Any candidates for native plugs that will make me forget these?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

in the same boat but i already bought a mac pro, i have returned my uad cards and i still have a 500 credit at guitar center. either buy a pcie uad card or some plugins.. thing about the uad card is i still gotta deal with plugin compensation....
Old 23rd September 2006

compression: psp vintage warmer for warm subtle and sonalksis for drums (and pretty much anything)

pultec variant: fultec by URS

narco
Old 23rd September 2006
Gear Maniac
Hi Brian,

I've never used the UAD cards for comparison,
but I do have the Sonalksis and URS stuff and
have found them to be the highest quality plug ins
that I've tried.

Jim
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

i'll add hydratone and blockfish. the waves ssl demo was pretty rockin' too...
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

I believe Sonalksis has no Universal Binaries available yet (?), so it's not really an option right away...
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

IMHO There really is no substitute for UAD plugs. I own some URS plugs too which are great, but not the same. When I upgrade my G5 to a Mac Pro in a couple months I'm going to suck it up and just upgrade to PCIe - unless I go for an expansion chassis.
Old 24th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
IMHO There really is no substitute for UAD plugs. I own some URS plugs too which are great, but not the same. When I upgrade my G5 to a Mac Pro in a couple months I'm going to suck it up and just upgrade to PCIe - unless I go for an expansion chassis.

I agree although I have a friend who just got Duende and feels it is in the same league.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Middleton View Post
--LA2A (warm subtle compression....use for vocals, winds, sometimes bass, sometimes electric guitar)
URS CSP or Sonnox Dynamics can go LA2A

Quote:
--Pultec (I use it mostly for the very musical upper-mids, to bring "size" & brilliance out of small/dull tracks)
I haven't found ANYTHING else that does the instant mojo of the UAD-1 Pultec. There are lots of nice EQ's out there....URS CSP, Waves API, Sonnox, but none are a 1:1 replacement for the Pultec. PSP Vintage Warmer is good for making small tracks bigger.

Quote:
--1176 (fast, punchy compression, good for drums, some guitars)
URS CSP is cool, Waves API 2500, PSP Vintage Warmer

Quote:
--Precision Limiter (transparent peak limiting with very useful metering)
Waves L2/L3
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
I believe Sonalksis has no Universal Binaries available yet (?), so it's not really an option right away...

They do and have done for some time
Old 27th September 2007
Here for the gear

Yes a good year if not more.

edit: whoops.. did not notice this was an old thread
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
They do and have done for some time
just wanted to point out the fact that Gert posted that back in sept 2006....
This thread is old...

-Z-
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear
The McDSP ML4000 is as cool as the Precision Limiter and has a bunch more features. The L1+ to me isn't as dynamic and lively.....which can be better in some instances. I'm also having a hard time finding and funding comps that are as good as UAD's. TDM plugs are so damn expensive.
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

To be honest the second I find some compressor plugs that give some competition to UA I will be ditching my 2 UAD cards.

My problem is that I am on a G4 with a HD 2 system and 2 UAD cards filling all 4 PCI slots.

Also mixing as you work on a project is impossible due to the latancey with the VST-RTAS buffer even on version 2.

But for the moment UA seem to be light years ahead on plug in quality. Although I fear the old UAD card issue may eventually destroy them when the competition catches up.
Old 28th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwilson View Post
and 2 UAD cards filling all 4 PCI slots.

thats luxury, I DREAM of having four pci slots, I have 3 in my G5

never lived in a paper bag in a cess pit though

narco
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Pushtec

Leftover Lasagne -
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Kjaerhus Audio Golden Compressor GCO-1

Believe it or not I took a loop and duplicated it on another track. Stuck the GCO-1 on track 1 and the ua 1176 on track 2. Bouncing back and forth between the 2 I nailed the 1176 with it and saved it as a preset. The only thing I couldn't get it to do was the all buttons in mode. But I have found that I can do a similar thing with the oxford compressor. Actually more to my crush liking.

I did the same thing with the La2a and nailed it I think as well.

Mind you i mostly use these 2 plugs on vocals, typically with the same settings. So I was after that.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm liquidating my studio and buying a Mac book pro and will go completely native and mobile. The only thing I was scared of was loosing my uad. Not as concerned now as I was.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search