Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
DVI to VGA adapters. Why won't it work?
Old 14th September 2006
Gear Maniac

DVI to VGA adapters. Why won't it work?

Hi, I was using a digital monitor at a studio I was working at the other day on my computer to get 2 displays. Worked like a charm, so I got a DVI to VGA adapter so I could use two monitors at home as well.
Well, I have now been through 4 different DVI to VGA adapters (all different pin configs.) and I can't get my computer to see the second monitor.
What am I missing here?
My video card is a MSI 6200TC
Thank you in advance.

Old 14th September 2006
This is too funny to see this post (not ha ha funny but interestingly on time). I just bought a DVI to VGA adapter as well and it won't work with my Apple 20" Cinema to my KVM. I'd love to hear someone's response to this so I too can figure it out.
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I've actually got my monitor to display using a DVI-I adapter, but it looks fuzzy, I played around with every setting possible on my monitor and video card control panel, and found out that when using a DVI adapter with a VGA monitor, the results will always be less than perfect.

Now, I'm stuck with a blurry second monitor (I use it for the edit screen in pro tools, the good screen is for the mix window). It sucks, and everyone I have spoken to tells me the same thing, that I'm stuck with what I got. I know this doesn't deal with your issue, but when buying an adapter, make sure you are using the right DVI adapter, it's either DVI-I or DVI-A, check your video card's manual, that's about the only thing I can help with on this subject.

Best of luck and I hope when you do get yours working, it actually looks like your other monitor, which is not what happened with me.
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I have a Matrox 650 with two DVI outputs with adapters to VGA. Works perfect, almost pixel accurate. Actually it worked so well so I havn't jet bougt new cables for my monitors so I can use the DVI port!

Old 14th September 2006
Hmm, you guys are talking about making a DVI video card compatible with a VGA monitor. I'm wondering about a DVI monitor (Apple 20" Cinema) compatible with a VGA video card.
Old 14th September 2006
Gear Addict
There are three types of DVI connections, DVI-D (Digital), DVI-A (Analog), DVI-I (Digital & Analog).

On some display cards, its DVI output is straightly DVI-D which means digital only. (i.e. the iMacs mini-dvi port i think).So you can't just use a cable conversion to use your ANALOG monitors.

Check whether this is the case.
Old 14th September 2006
Gear Maniac

It is a DVI-I.
I just submitted a tech support at MSI. I will keep ya posted.
Old 14th September 2006
Well, I believe I found the answer and it's not good news.

Here's another one:

Apparently the Cinema displays are DVI-D and thus you cannot use a simple adapter. You have to use a digital to analog video converter box such as the ones shown in the links above. Very expensive and probably best to just purchase either a new video card, or a VGA compatible display (NEC makes some nice flat panels that are both DVI and VGA compatible out of the box).
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear
I was very pissed to find out that I had to buy a $110 box to hook up my 20" Cinema Display to my newer G5 (that replaced my last G5)...

Apparently, Apple dropped the ADC format...

Pissed I tell you.

Between Steve and Avid...
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search