The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UR824 vs Scarlett 18i20 (amongst others)
Old 19th November 2016
Here for the gear

I finally got the audio problem solved. It turns out the monitor control on the unit has to be connected to the control on the dspfx mixer in order to control the monitor volume.

Here's another problem: I am able to record using any of the 4 mixes, but for playback, I could only get audio using Mix1.

So far I've only done tests with free DAWs (Podium and Audacity) as I haven't installed Cubase AI yet. I wonder if this is intentional in order to force users to use Cubase?
Old 15th February 2017
hellos.

bumping this to ask a couple of questions about the UR824. (looking to buy 3 of them for 24 channels)

Asked this over at the Steinberg forum with no intelligent answers, So I'll ask here:

I want to use line level inputs on XLRs.

If I connect an XLR connector (carrying a Line signal) to the input socket of the UR824, will it automatically connect to the mic input circuit?
Or will it know it's a line level? Or can I tell it that in the software?

Or is the question irrelevant because it's just one signal chain and everything goes through the pre's in any case?

Another question that reading this thread brings up. someone mentioned the line level outs are weak.
I plan to use this as a 24 channel output to an analogue mixer for summing. Will the line outputs give me a healthy enough level for this?

Last edited by golden beers; 16th February 2017 at 03:26 PM..
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Guru

I'm not sure what the difference is between the TRS and the XLR on the inputs, but I know both of them run through the mic preamp circuit. There is no way to bypass the preamp. This is why they give you pads on every channel. Sound on Sound talked about this a little in their review.

I don't understand what is meant by weak line outputs. This should put out the same industry standard 1.7 Volts or whatever it is that every other piece of professional gear does. Also the outputs are one of my favorite parts of the UR824, they just sound really good.
Old 16th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I'm not sure what the difference is between the TRS and the XLR on the inputs, but I know both of them run through the mic preamp circuit. There is no way to bypass the preamp. This is why they give you pads on every channel. Sound on Sound talked about this a little in their review.

I don't understand what is meant by weak line outputs. This should put out the same industry standard 1.7 Volts or whatever it is that every other piece of professional gear does. Also the outputs are one of my favorite parts of the UR824, they just sound really good.
Thanks monkey, this helps allot
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Addict

Reviving this one, because I am considering getting the UR824 even if it's 6 years old.

Recently I compared my UR28m to an RME UFX and to my surprise, I liked the Steinberg DA better than the RME by a lot - more punchy, more present, transients felt closer and made the whole sound deeper in a way.

I've read opinions on the UR824 and the MR816x sound and it could very well be a characteristic thing for the whole line (may be the upper bracket of it).

So naturally I'm thinking of staying with the Steinberg family, but I feel a bit of doubt about missing out on more recent models, TB and lower latency options. One thing that is a PITA with Steinberg interfaces is their latency, although I am really used to working with direct monitoring by now.

How are the Claretts sound wise? Any one compared the 8PreX to the UR824? Any other interface or DA you heard after the UR824 and thought it's in the same vain?
I can't really test stuff here and I know it's a highly subjective topic, but still..... (monitors here are Amphion One15s with a sub, room is treated and equalized).
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Guru

The Clarett and the UR824 are both in the category of "usable and great" to me, regarding the sound quality. I've never listened to them back to back though.

I'm using a Presonus Quantum now because I was interested in the low latency stuff. It's great for amp simulators for me, it's like playing through a real amp. Also for tracking through native plugins in general. Use your computer the same way as an Apollo, but with most of your native plugins instead of UAD ones. (other than plugins that introduce significant latency, like Pro L2, Elevate, as two examples)

The clarett has "acceptable" latency, but it's not at the top of the pile. Steinberg is also in the middle of the pack I think, probably a little slower than clarett. You're probably still going to have to use direct monitoring. The Audient gear is down in that range as well, regarding latency.

One I'd really like to investigate is the Tascam Celsonic US20x20, but I haven't had a chance to audition it yet. It's in the similar price range as the other ones here.

I'd probably pick the Clarett over the UR824. Next week I'll be getting a Clarett OctoPre for my main rig here, to go beside my Presonus stuff.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post
Hi...
Hey man, if in dilemma between those two get the Focusrite 18i20! It is the best interface for that cash by far! And quality wise, also by far regarding build, aidio quality, sturdiness, number of I/O etc...

Krešo
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Im looking at similar interfaces and also considering the Behringer UMC8020. As much as i don't want to want it, its cheap and the more research i do the better it seems to be.
📝 Reply