The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is the best Audio Interface for my budget?
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Head

What is the best Audio Interface for my budget?

I currently have an MBOX 3 mini, and i just want to get out of the mbox family and upgrade to a better sounding interface with better a/d and d/a converters.

I only have 1 microphone and thats all i plan on using (shure ksm44) and i have a blue robbie mic pre.

My budget is up to $650. (Used) I'm planning on buying off ebay and i have seen some gear worth over $1000, for only a few hundred. so im looking for something i can get for around $650 used on ebay.

I have considered the MOTU 896HD ($500 on ebay) and the Digi 003R and even a Digidesign 196 io but i then found out i need to spend like $1000 to connect it to my computer.

I am running windows 7 with Pro Tools 10. I would like to connect firewire usb and i'm looking to get a great sound. i have seen the apogee duet and it just reminds me of another consumer mbox type.

For my setup and budget, what do you reccommend.
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

You just have the wrong Mbox.
The Mbox 3 Pro is perfectly fine and useable.
For your budget outside of Avid MR816x is an easy choice.
Good drivers, conversion, pres, plus confidence monitoring.
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Maniac

Each DAW software does seem to have its "favorite" i/o interface mfg. and Pro Tools prefers Avid. For firewire connection, this would be PTMboxPro, and if you can find one for your coin, grab it, because their street price is about $1K. If you can live with a USB connection (which is all right), then the Avid Mbox is fine, and the coin will fit nicely into your budget.
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

The Mbox 3 and 3 Pro are different animals.
I have seen the 3 Pro box go for around $400 with no software.
It a decent

Apogee Duet II might be an upgrade from hour current box. Might be worth reading up on it.
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Head

I dont have the mbox pro, its the mbox 3 mini. theres a complete difference. this isn't firewire or anything and its smaller. its comparable to the first generation mbox but a bit better
Old 29th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCam View Post
I dont have the mbox pro, its the mbox 3 mini. theres a complete difference. this isn't firewire or anything and its smaller. its comparable to the first generation mbox but a bit better
No, it's a LOT better. I think you're just repeating what you've read here...did you ever use a 1st gen Mbox?

This is also the 3rd thread you've started on exactly the same topic. Perhaps take some time to read before posting the same question again? There's nothing wrong with your interface - I could make a great sounding record using that and your robbie - the conversion is fine, unless you want to spend $$$s you're not going to see a significant improvement.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search