The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why are so many still using XP. Is there something I should know? Audio Interfaces
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear
Why are so many still using XP. Is there something I should know?

I've finally decided to get rid of Vista once and for all. I had naturally assumed I would upgrade to Windows 7, but can't help but notice that so many on here seem to be using XP instead of the newer versions. Is it just a matter of economics or is there something I should know before making my decision? Is it perhaps a more stable platform for recording or are users just more comfortable with it? I actually use 3 different computers here at home and have all 3 (XP, Vista 64 bit, and 7) between them. I haven't had any problems adapting so I am wondering if XP might actually be better for recording and, if so, for what reasons. Thanks for any good information you might supply me with before it's time to pull the trigger. Thanks.

Larry
Old 24th May 2013
Gear Head

XP Just works for them, they have not seen a need to upgrade when they can get work done on what they have most likely. Just don't go to Windows 8, I tried going to 8 and I had so much of a headache getting my hardware and DAW to function properly that I just went back to 7.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

XP always works well and i know it well.I have 7 on my internet computer.
Old 24th May 2013
Gear Head

I use xp and its great with all my current software/hardware but I am noticing more new software/hardware drivers not officially supporting xp like uad v7.0 and sonar x2 updates.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

im on xp sp3 because its solid.

but as mentioned above, a lot of software and HW drivers are now not supporting it.

i run pro tools 9 for recording & editing, and while it runs fine i get no support on the platform. a move to PT10 will mean an upgrade to W7.

if i was changing from vista tomorrow, i'd be going W7. XP would be a backwards choice at this stage.
Old 24th May 2013
The time it takes to reinstall a music box makes the though of an unnecessary upgrade unpleasant. I am on 7 now, but I didn't move until I had to.

Win 7 install (plus updates) - 2 hours plus
Driver installs and config - 1 hour
Komplete Ultimate install - 3 hours
DAW install - 1 hour each
Additional instrument plus sample pack imports - 2 hours

It's a very long day...
Old 24th May 2013
Gear Addict

Because most of us learnt the hard way that when something works its many more hair follicles better than not working.

Alot of blood, sweat and tears went into learning the ins and outs of how to hone WinXp down into a low latency, stable machine. So many variables and configurations when having to root out the wonderful variety of issues you can encounter.

Some people are probably saying to themselves 'but i just installed it, installed the software and everything works fine'. Well all i can say is (expletive) YOU ! That is all im going to say. The entire affair is on my top ten list of 'things that have accelerated my aging process'.

I suppose some good did come out of it; i went from knowing pretty much nothing to resembling something like 'the wizard of xp' saving noobly friends and family everywhere from bogged down machines.

I do need to go into the 64bit realm now, since Nebula is such hog and i will be going to Win 7. I just don't feel fit enough to take that on just yet lol. I can guarantee there will be problems with solutions i need to learn and plenty of tweaking.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

Count me in on this one.

I'm sitting in front of a brand new boxed Windows 7 Ultimate that I've put off installing since back when it was still new. Took me long enough to learn how to strip down and minimize my XP installs to get that "classic" look and feel. Not looking forward to going through that again for these newer ones, and have a feeling I'll be left with that same bloated 10Gig "base install" that all the common folk seem to have on their laptops and such.

<edit> Damn. Looks like me and Feedme are in perfect sync. heh
Old 24th May 2013
I've done many XP installs for audio rigs I've built over the years and was really hesitant to upgrade to Win7. Once I did I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. I have a 1st gen i7 build and although XP ran, the system was designed to be used in a 64 bit environment and exhibited lots of strange anomolies in XP. One thing that I never solved was that the system would occasionally "hiccup" every hour or so (audible audio glitch like a bird chirp and DCP latency spike). I even reinstalled XP a handfull of times on this system. Oddly enough, after moving to Win7 that problem was gone and it's been very smooth sailing. Only O/S tweak I've done is disabling core parking. Everything else is default.
Old 24th May 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iostream View Post
The time it takes to reinstall a music box makes the though of an unnecessary upgrade unpleasant. I am on 7 now, but I didn't move until I had to.

It's a very long day...
HOLY CRAP!!! I can do a fresh install of win.7 64bit in 20 minutes. Guess I should stop complaining about my crappy computer all the time..lol
Old 24th May 2013
Gear Head

There is literally no reason to keep XP unless that was already your platform or you just have a preference for it. Windows 7 as others have mentioned, is more "uniform" and consistent with products and plays nicer with new products as well as old. Windows 7 also has much, much more support and compatibility with 64-bit programs. XP was never officially designed for 64 bit, while 7 was, i.e. the guy above my post having problems on a 64 bit XP system with next gen hardware.

Quote:

It's a very long day...
Ouch man, you don't have SSD's for your core software yet?? A nice basic SSD will cut your install times down to basically nothing. I did a full reset and install of win7 ultimate on a Samsung SSD......35 minutes from cold boot to config'd desktop. Sequoia 12 with all the trimmings? 25 minutes.....The difference is scary.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

Out of curiosity, what exactly is Win7's approximate footprint just after a clean install? Most of the machines I see already have a bunch of third party crap piled on top of it and have been used for a while.

Thanks!
Old 24th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidis View Post
Out of curiosity, what exactly is Win7's approximate footprint just after a clean install? Most of the machines I see already have a bunch of third party crap piled on top of it and have been used for a while.

Thanks!
i think its about 5gigs or so? maybe 7 or somewhere between those 2 or i could be wrong
Old 24th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iostream View Post

It's a very long day...
Dayum Win7 installs in less than 30 minutes here. I'd recommend saving a system image in case you ever need to restore your current setup- will be a lot faster than a reinstall and all settings will be the same as the day you make the image.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
Dayum Win7 installs in less than 30 minutes here. I'd recommend saving a system image in case you ever need to restore your current setup- will be a lot faster than a reinstall and all settings will be the same as the day you make the image.
Think he's exaggerating a bit. I don't know any Windows daw that takes an hour to install. Windows 7 is the fastest to install of all post 95 versions. I ought to know. I do it day in and day out.
Old 24th May 2013
Not really an exaggeration. The install of Win 7 is fast. The time to install the mass of updates since service pack 1 is not so fast.
And no, the installer for a DAW doesn't take an hour. The time it takes from running the daw installer, applying the updates, opening it up, and doing the basic config to make it usable is an hour. Though both DAW I have installed lately (Sonar X2 Producer and Cubase 7) contain a lot of content, so it takes a while.
Komplete Ultimate is sadly about 3 hours, most of that is read time from the USB hard drive. This is much better than Komplete 9 regular which takes almost as long, and you have to keep feeding it disks.
Once all of this is done, you have your other VSTs to install, sample libraries to bring back into kontakt, a number of updates to apply, etc. At least the sample libraries don't have to be reinstalled, they can stay intact on the sample drive.
All things considered, 8-9 hours from bare hardware to fully up and running isn't much of an exaggeration.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda View Post
i think its about 5gigs or so? maybe 7 or somewhere between those 2 or i could be wrong
Thanks Vinvanda. That's not quite as bad as I would have suspected.
Old 24th May 2013
TNM
Lives for gear
XP was the most epic OS microsoft ever released IMO.. just like snow leopard is for mac.. but as with anything, a time comes where one must move on. Honestly for a new install? XP? no way.. for one, if you are doing any serious 64 bit sample library work you just simply will not have the ram.. being able to use 2.5gb with the "switch" as it's known was a revelation many years back, but now that will barely run a couple of omnispheres and kontakts. Secondly, as others have said, devs are slowly but surely stopping support with plugins and hardware. Hey, you guys got many many years of XP use after win7 was released. I wish us snow leopard lovers would get the same treatment from the devs! the good news is, where mac users have no replacement that is even close to being as fast and reliable as snow leopard, windows 7 really *is* a viable alternative to XP.. it takes some getting used to, as XP was all techy (which i loved) and super fast on the GUI, but really it's a very good OS for audio and anything in general. There is nO need to go to windows 8, 9 or whatever is in the foreseeable future. 7 is the new xp for us audio guys (well of those who use windows) and will be relevant i predict for the next ten years. I wanted a little windows laptop just to have something to play with that wasn't mac, and i managed to find a run out with 7 on it and i couldn't be happier. basically, everything currently on the market place will work perfectly with 7, you get a very solid 64 bit OS choice also, and i just don't see any devs dropping support for it for a long long time.

Go 7
Old 24th May 2013
XP was a great OS, I think there is a good reason that most versions of windows last about 2 years before they get superceded by a newer version, but XP was the top dog for what, 8 years? But it is always hard to compare a newer thing with an older thing. I personally find win7 great for a new pc.

also winxp is going to stop being supported by microsoft offically this year isnt it?
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

Why are so many people still wearing mullets? Why did my aunt wear blue eyeshadow for four decades?
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

No reason I know of except those that simply just are not ready to make the move due to existing projects.

I agree that all previous versions should now be replaced by 7 64 bit. I hope MS continue to support it for a long time, or else make sure that future versions run as good and in the familiar style.
I heard that MS Blue will be a good one, waiting to hear if that will be as good as 7 or if it will be even better??
Old 24th May 2013
Gear Maniac

XP is just a really great OS, simples. Although my DAW is on a Windows 7 PC, the PC that I run all my oldskool program's and editing software, like Aksys, Millenium, ReCycle is on XP, and I can fly around XP so much faster editing and saving.
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

I'm still on XP, but I would like to move to 7.
The main problem is, I'm using an Emu 1820M, and there are only beta drivers for W7.
I've heard mixed reports about the stability, but I think I will give it a try anyway.
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks for all the replies. Since I'm just getting started in the DAW world, looks like it will be Windows 7 upgrade. I can hardly wait to get away from Vista, which was one of Microsoft's shortest lived versions (and for good reason). I just happened to buy my PC at the wrong time. I use my wife's laptop with W7 all the time and have no problems. Now it's time to see where I can get the best price on the upgrade.
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

Windows 7 performers much better than XP ever did......at least for me.
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

It's kid tested and mother approved.

I have a dual boot xp / win7 x64 box I use for software dev.
Xp is snappier "feeling" than 7

8 is snappier than both as all the visuals and thier cpu cycles are gone.
Old 25th May 2013
Gear Nut

Windows 8 is the best OS Microsoft has ever made. The refinements, GPU acceleration of UI, memory footprint and driver handling is even better then it was in 7. Unless you have a horrible video card I would definitely install Windows 8.
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwaltb View Post
Windows 8 is the best OS Microsoft has ever made. The refinements, GPU acceleration of UI, memory footprint and driver handling is even better then it was in 7. Unless you have a horrible video card I would definitely install Windows 8.
Ditto.
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

The only problem with Win XP is it is limited to 2GB of ram per programme around 3.5 GB in total and it can't do DX 10 or DX 11 graphics. So if you have a load of RAM on a Win XP computer you have a lot of ram that never does anything. If you have a large mix that takes up around 3 GB RAM it will just crash because it can't access enough ram.

Windows 8 has many programmes consolidated into fewer start up programmes to speed up boot times it also boots on multiple cores instead of one like Win 7 and XP does.

In a few months Windows 8.1 comes out a free update that gives Windows 8 a Windows 7 style desktop and start button. And the ability to run two programmes on one screen side by side.
Old 25th May 2013
When you boil it down more power doesn't mean more productivity. It means more opportunities for more productivity.

Look at some simpke set ups like A guitar player & vocalist using Reason. They wouldn't use the power of 8 cores, 16gb ram and multiple terabytes of storage.

Even people with it don't typically need it all.

So once your needs are met - why upgrade ?

Win7 is good in my experience used as a DAW (never used W8) and offers some great things but overall I could easily crank out material on XP.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search