The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Software Compressor "The Great Debate"
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Waves API-2500
Native Instruments LA2A, VC160, 1176, VariComp.

2500 been my bread'n butter first choice for years. It's even got an automakeup that actually keeps the volume on the same level all the time. Most with automakeup don't. They increase instead. No good.
The Glue is very clean as well, just not as versatile as the API (referring to setting options).
Two olden goodies to me are Nomad Factory's Liquid Compressor II and Voxengo’s Marquis Compressor. The latter is fat and real punchy.

For more specific applications I like Native Instruments 4 above comps best. Variety of Sound's ThrillseekerLA is also a good freeware LA2A. Softube Valley People Dyna-mite is a great in-between for compressor/limiter. Izotopes dynamics very versatile and good for transparency but ... that interface, that interface; makes it so awkward to listen intuitively at the same time. I don't enjoy using them for that reason alone. I don’t use bus or master-out compression.

Abbey Road EMI TG12413 1969-model is the best set-and-forget comp to me - if you need such. Load it, set "recovery" to 4, then forget about it. No matter which instrument it's on.

Multiband, the C4 is still top of my drawer. With the increased easy of automating volume, I use compression much less now. Almost never do RMS compression for ex.
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Addict

Just like with hardware it's nice to have options - they do really all sound quite different. Am working on a project right now that's 90% Softube Summit TLA whateverthenumberis. Plus a good amount of Plugin Alliance Vertigo VSC (especially in dual mono mode) and the occasional Kush Audio UBK. But over time I've used pretty much all of my compressor plug-ins, from Abbey Road to all the Softubes and Plugin alliance, and am occasionally even going back to RenComp or RenAxx.

I'll usually instantiate a couple or three I suspect will work for a specific track, and then try setting one after the other for a few minutes each. By that time I usually have an idea as to which will work best for the track in question. I then delete the others and fine-tune the winner.

Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWiley View Post
UAD 33609

There is nothing like it.
My thoughts exactly. Its my go to utilitarian compressor. anything from synth pads to basslines, backing vocals, piano, guitars, drum rooms (with the fast attack / release on the limiter section), its just a really smooth transparent compression, does exactly what its supposed to.
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
Seriously? I think the SSL snatches too much for me, even at slow attack times.
Yeah, that's exactly what I use it for.
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

My list:
UAD- FATSO Sr, LA2A's and 1176 (just stupid good), 33609, Shadow Hills mastering comp and Fairchild.
Native: Portico, NI Solid Comp/solid dynamics and Vari comp, Plugin Alliance Vertigo, Softube CL1B, UBK-1. Recently tried the Massey and it's on a very short list to buy along with the new Slate (whenever that happens I'm getting it, he hasn't let me down yet)
All I can remember off the bat
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Lately I've been using the Waves Pie quite a bit, which absolutely oozes goo across everything.

If I want fast, the t-racks 670 and 1176 are my go to comps. The Waves versions don't have the same 3d quality the the t-racks stuff has.

The only other 'comp' I've been using is the Stilwell Event Horizon, which I mostly use to prevent overs on the 2-bus.
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

The Glue
Vertigo VSC-2
Fab-C
Old 29th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D. View Post
It doesn't look like any other compressor, but I sure love the results:

Dynamic Spectrum Mapper

I have a feeling I'll still be learning how to use this enigmatic device for some time yet....sometimes I love it,other times....

You gotta love The Glue everytime however.
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Nut
Check out this free compressor - I was mighty impressed by it :

TDR Feedback Compressor II | Tokyo Dawn Records

It's boring in the sence there's not much coloration, but OTOH that can be a strenght. I love the fact it's very transparent, and can take wild abuse without sounding like !#"&%"
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Has anybody tried either the "alpha compressor" or the "mpressor" from elysia
Old 30th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes, the Alpha comp is good on the 2bus, kind of gives the mix a round but ultra modern sound. Theres a bit of colour and not much 'dirt'. There is actually a master bus version of the Alpha comp but i think its aimed at mastering.

I don't think much of the Mpressor, i found i could get Alpha comp to do what it does. That was a very brief test though !
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

Waves Renaissance Compressor for me. It's an old plugin but it sounds great. It's hard to make it sound bad on anything. It's cheap too.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

Massey CT5
UAD 1176 new ones.
I also like the free Molot for smooth color. I use in on the 2buss after hardware comp just cause I like the sort of soft cushion or sag it gives.
Sort of like rectifier tubes in a gtr amp.
Old 30th May 2013
Gear Nut

Dynamic Spectrum Mapper 2 is the best plugin compressor money can buy. It makes 90% of other software compressors and eqs completely obsolete in the terms of sound and features. Things that can be done with it in under one minute would take 20-30 minutes at least with other plugins. A whole song can be mixed by using this plugin and a reverb plugin only and the mix would be finished in 45 minutes!

Runner-ups are 112db's Big Blue Compressor, Klanghelm's DC8C and Elysia's Mpressor.
Old 30th May 2013
Gear Nut

If it takes you 20-30 minutes, to dial in a compressor, then maybe, its not the compressor that have a problem. I cant see why it should take 20 to 30 times more on another comp. What comps are so bad in your opinion?
Old 30th May 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
If it takes you 20-30 minutes, to dial in a compressor, then maybe, its not the compressor that have a problem. I cant see why it should take 20 to 30 times more on another comp. What comps are so bad in your opinion?
I just recommend to check out DSM2 and you see what I tried to say, ok?

I wasn't saying other comps are bad but their functionality seems to be limited in comparison to DSM2 and its sound is truly amazing considering how radical tone shaping I can make with it. Another plugin comp I use very often is 112db's BBC and it's great. Admittedly, I must have sounded a bit too opinionated in my previous post... all the best!
Old 30th May 2013
Gear Nut

Well i guess i have to check it out then. I only use software comps when my audio needs soft to moderate compression with slow-med attack and release times. Havent found one ITB i can push that sounds great yet, but maybe thats just me. However for making some pure balance in a mix, most of the software i tried does a great job, but it should be notet that i dont use comps so much for colour, My favorite on the 2 bus for glue, is the glue. IK White 2a is my goto for Electric bass. Fattens things up in a nice way. But honestly i think that Logics built in compressor does a great job. Its the most versatile and flexible comp ive seen and its underestimatet in my opinion. If i got the task to do a complete mix with only one comp, Logics built in would be my choice for sure.
Old 31st May 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well i guess i have to check it out then. I only use software comps when my audio needs soft to moderate compression with slow-med attack and release times. Havent found one ITB i can push that sounds great yet, but maybe thats just me. However for making some pure balance in a mix, most of the software i tried does a great job, but it should be notet that i dont use comps so much for colour
Both comps I mentioned above can probably sound right for your taste then

Quote:
...Logics built in compressor does a great job. Its the most versatile and flexible comp ive seen and its underestimatet in my opinion. If i got the task to do a complete mix with only one comp, Logics built in would be my choice for sure.
Agree 100% though I use Logic very little nowadays because AU plugin format doesn't send any midi output that is pretty annoying sometimes...
Old 5th June 2013
Mar
Gear Nut

DSM2 is good as it is ugly, and it's very very ugly!!
heh
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

Mick Gusauski. desert island comp....
the one in PT 10 euphonics strip..

I forced myself to use it [instead of my usual] when I got it... and there it stayed..then I saw Micks interview..just works.
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

McDsp ultimate comp
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
mpressor is really good, great ideas at work there
Old 14th June 2013
Gear Guru

Most reliable on busses , respect of dynamic : Duende Comp (other comps have to Wet/dry to reach it)

Gimme character , groove , fun : UBK 1

I can do everything you need : CL1B

Those i almost need at least once in each session:

DBX 160 NI/Softube
SSL Deunde Channel strip
CLA2A
API 2500 or puigchild (for buses)
PIE comp

The one that grabbed my attention :

Massey comp CT5 is the great surprise ..
Sknot dbx 165 emu (still some features are on the menu )
UAD new LA2A

Underatted :

Focusrite Midnight comp : just GREAT !
Old 14th June 2013
OldTimer and OldTimer ME have been my go-to compressors for mostly everything since they came out

only exception is drum buss which I've been using NI Solid Bus Comp, I also like the NI Vintage Compressors for some things, like the 1176 on guitar and sometimes on vocals and the 160 on individual drums

I compared NI Solid Bus Comp and The Glue to death and they sound very similar, too similar maybe, but I did like Bus Comp a tad better for some reason and it came with K8U so I can't complain heh
Old 14th June 2013
Gear Guru

never been impressed by the oltimer ...strange ...
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

My favorite VST-Compressors :

Slate Digital FG-X Compressor : products - Slate Digital

Steinberg RND Portico 5043 Compressor : 5043 Compressor

UAD2 LA-2A Compressor :
Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection
Old 14th June 2013
Deleted 19064ac
T-RackS Black 76, White 2A, Model 670, Bus Compressor
Waves V-Comp
Klanghelm DC1A
Old 14th June 2013
Here for the gear

UAD 33609
UAD LA-2 (Early model)
Abbey Road TG12413
Devil Lok Deluxe

Mpressor - I love it. lots of control and can sound really neutral or really agressive!
Old 14th June 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom75 View Post
For me it's

DMG audio Compassion
Cytomic The Glue
Soundtoys Devil-Loc Deluxe

If slate digital was not working on a triple compressor plugin I would of also bought the T-racks Fairchild 670

Slate FG-X compressor section is also very good but too buggy to use on a mix.
The ones above. Compassion as a go-to (and many times I try some other first but then turn to Compassion and get better results). Devil-loc for heavy comp; T-Racks black one (or both of them actually) also gets some use. FG-X only for master channel.

+ Recently, Kush Audio UBK-1 for glueing on second bus and master bus.
Old 14th June 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 19064ac View Post
White 2A
And oh yes, I love this for plucked guitar (cleaner ones).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search