The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
UAD problems & error codes
Old 18th May 2013
Lives for gear

UAD problems & error codes

hello!
there are a few people with many uad problems in different daws since the last uad releases (6.5.x-7.0.0).
the issues are on mac and pc.

i've changed already the fw cable and reinstalled my whole system and all my daws.

here are some screenshots.
maybe there is a fix for this issues?!??

name of uad/apollo error codes:

- buffer size mismatch
- authorization error
- (T01)

mac os: latest lion and latest mountain lion
mac 2x2.8ghz (early 2008) with 16gb ram
graphic card: ati radeon hd 2600 xt
daw: cubase 6.5 / 7.0.4
apollo duo, uad duo, uad quad

this is really a game-stopper and this issues doesn't rais my production workflow.
Attached Thumbnails
UAD problems & error codes-uad-apollo-issue-01.png   UAD problems & error codes-uad-apollo-issue-02.png   UAD problems & error codes-uad-apollo-issue-03.png   UAD problems & error codes-uad-apollo-issue-04.png   UAD problems & error codes-uad-apollo-issue-05.jpg  

UAD problems & error codes-uad-apollo-issue-06.png   UAD problems & error codes-uad-apollo-issue-07.png   UAD problems & error codes-uad-apollo-issue-08.png   UAD problems & error codes-uad-apollo-issue-09.png   UAD problems & error codes-uad-apollo-issue-10.png  

Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

nobody here with an idea to fix that issues???
Old 20th May 2013
I've had a lot of the same errors and some different. -38, -50, -98, -109.. and a few others.. I'm buying a new computer because after 60 emails back and forth with UA they think it's an intermittent FW issue. Have you optimized all your settings?
Old 20th May 2013
Here for the gear

I have these issues all the time. They seem completely random to me. And this has occured on two separate macs. I was using firewire so maybe it has to do with that. But I don't think my computers firewire is to blame.
Old 20th May 2013
Gear Addict

I just had a ton of issues tonight for the first time with my Apollo....-50 and -98 errors all over the place. I'm using a brand new 2012 Mac Mini fully maxed out, running the latest versions of everything....Never had any issues like this until now, but man it brought everythign to a grinding halt.
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Still on 6.5.0 here and no issues at all. I'm only using one UAD2 card though. What are your versions and how many cards do you use? Have you tried rolling back to a previous version?
Old 20th May 2013
Well I can tell you if a new machine doesn't fix my issues with my Apollo Quad core UA is gonna have hell to pay.

I'm on 7.0 now. It seems to be worse than before even though the tech support guy told me I should stick with it because they cleared up a bunch of issues. Not seeing it here. I've used the last 3 or 4 newest versions and all of them have been giving me problems. 7.0 was the first time I saw a -109 error. I wonder if these things are just not friendly with firewire... If so I'm demanding a refund.

Nothing is more frustrating than getting into a creative zone only to have your apollo crash time and time again. I'm getting 30+ crashes a night with this thing. If only I would have known the headache this would cause, I would have never bought the damn thing. Plugs sound good, when they work.

What host are you guys using? I'm on Ableton 8.4.1. Late 2009 iMac. 1 FW port unfortunately.. Just ordered a mac mini yesterday. Hopefully that will solve it, but I'm not so sure.
Old 20th May 2013
Gear Addict

I'm using DP8 and I've got an Apollo Quad running directly into the firewire port of my 2012 Mac Mini (2.6Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM and 1TB fusion drive, running Mountain Lion). It has been running like a dream, but earlier today I got a few errors with the Apollo, so I updated to the new UAD 7 software tonight and then things just exploded....

Last edited by Screwdio; 20th May 2013 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 20th May 2013
For me there were a couple periods where it worked great for a week or two.. Then it was like something switched and everything went to sh*t.. I've had 3 apollo's, spend loads of time with tech support.. only thing to try now is a new machine but it's the exact machine you're using (except 256 sd internal). I wonder how wide spread these issues are..

Last edited by Eleazar; 20th May 2013 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: redundant
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

It seems to be an Apollo issue. That's what you guys have in common.
Old 20th May 2013
Well you'd think there'd be more talk if all Apollo's were doing this. Some guys I know have stable rigs.
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

yeah! i'm not sure that's an "exclusive" apollo issue. maybe there are another people with this uad errors?!!

yesterday i got these error codes every 15-20 minutes.
i was an early adopter of the apollo. so, maybe the later apollos have other fw chips.

never ever had some problems with my setup since uad v. 6.5.x.
i think i return the unit - can't work on my jobs since i switched to apollo!!!
Old 20th May 2013
Never had an issue here.
The only common aspect I've seen is maybe the latest Mac OS.
I'm using the latest UAD 7.0, but I'm a couple back on my Mac OS.
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Never had an issue here.
The only common aspect I've seen is maybe the latest Mac OS.
I'm using the latest UAD 7.0, but I'm a couple back on my Mac OS.
last week i switched from lion to mountain lion.
i get the uad system errors in both mac os releases!!!
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

I only see those errors if my MBP goes to sleep before I power down the Apollo.

Otherwise no issues.

I did see at the UAD forums that some early models of Mac Pros required a FW800 PCIe card for the Apollo function.
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
I only see those errors if my MBP goes to sleep before I power down the Apollo.

Otherwise no issues.

I did see at the UAD forums that some early models of Mac Pros required a FW800 PCIe card for the Apollo function.
no pcie extension available - all plugged with uad cards and a video card.
there are also many people with error messages on newer mac pros, imacs, mac minis and pcs.
i'm waiting a few days to get a fix from ua. otherwise i'll give the apollo back to the reseller...
i'm waiting now months for a fix.
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

ok - now i got this message without using any daw or audio playback...
so, i think i'll return the unit sooner!!!
that's wasted time and money - sorry universal audio.
Attached Thumbnails
UAD problems & error codes-apollo-t01-issue.png  
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

It looks like a firewire issue on the new drivers. Wonder if anyone using only PCIE is suffering this. My system is super stable.
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
It looks like a firewire issue on the new drivers. Wonder if anyone using only PCIE is suffering this. My system is super stable.
no - same problems since uad v6.5.x
Old 20th May 2013
I'm using Firewire with UAD v7, on a 2012 iMac, with a bog standard fw cable.
Everything good.

The whole thing is beyond me, unless UA shipped a whole batch of Apollo's that are more sensitive to certain circumstances (than mine).
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Guys, you may have more luck on the unofficial UA forums:

Universal Audio UAD Powered Plugins and Apollo Forums

Lot of knowledgeable folks there, and apparently UA does pay close attention to what's being posted over there. Worth a shot, as a lot of guys are posting the same issues there.

FWIW -- I've been having non-stop problems since 6.5 as well... not with my new Apollo, but with mu UAD-2 solo/laptop card. LED continually blinks red with both 6.5 and 7.0. It's being shipped back to UA tomorrow.
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Nut

Grr

I have also just been experiencing this in the last week..
i have sent UA 2 emails already and awaiting a response, though after reading this i don't think i will be a happy camper either..
i am stuck in the middle of a post production project with a deadline!
this is ridiculous!
i am getting the same errors as above on PT with an iMac running OSX 10.8.3..
Old 2nd June 2013
Gear Nut

Guys,

i uninstalled the v7 software update and reinstalled the v6.3.1 and everything worked without any errors at all.. and has been for 2 - 3 days now with no errors at all..
I feel there is something going on with the v7 update for those who had no issues prior to v7..

I understand with some the issue maybe the firewire 400 to 800 or whatever it was issue, but I am perplexed as to why a firewire would be the issue when there was no errors prior to the v7 update which i have been getting only when i updated to v7..

UA got back to me with the following:

Can you please check the following:

Device start order:

Mac > Apollo > (Satellite) [UAD V7} or Mac >(Satellite) > Apollo [UAD-2 V.6.5.2] or Apollo > Satellite > PC

Tried an alternate Firewire cable?

DAW Optimization settings: I/O Buffer: 512 or 1024

UAD Control Panel settings:"Configuration" - Limit DSP Load 95% - DSP Loadlock "OFF" -Extra Buffering "On"

UAD Control Panel settings:"Firewire" - UAD Bandwidth Allocation:

(without external hard drive = Mac 80%, Win 75% (@44.1) (with external hard drive = Mac 55%, Win 30% (@44.1)

Disconnect any peripheral devices - does the error persist?

Is boot camp installed (Mac)?

Is system sleep turned off? System sleep, energy & screen savers are not supported.

Slate or Waves plug-ins in the same session?

Have you updated to UAD-2 version 7?

My Setup:
iMac 27inch with OSX 10.8.3
16gig Ram
ProTools 10
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackLab View Post
Guys,

i uninstalled the v7 software update and reinstalled the v6.3.1 and everything worked without any errors at all.. and has been for 2 - 3 days now with no errors at all..
I feel there is something going on with the v7 update for those who had no issues prior to v7..

I understand with some the issue maybe the firewire 400 to 800 or whatever it was issue, but I am perplexed as to why a firewire would be the issue when there was no errors prior to the v7 update which i have been getting only when i updated to v7..

Device start order:

Mac > Apollo > (Satellite) [UAD V7} or Mac >(Satellite) > Apollo [UAD-2 V.6.5.2] or Apollo > Satellite > PC

UAD Control Panel settings:"Configuration" - Limit DSP Load 95% - DSP Loadlock "OFF" -Extra Buffering "On"

(without external hard drive = Mac 80%, Win 75% (@44.1) (with external hard drive = Mac 55%, Win 30% (@44.1)

Is system sleep turned off? System sleep, energy & screen savers are not supported.

My Setup:
16gig Ram
ProTools 10
sorry, for 2000 bucks that is a shame
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear

I'll tell you what. I have a Mac Mini i7 server with a Sonnet Echo Express Thunderbolt chassis with an RME HDSPe-AIO audio interface and a UAD2 Quad in it.

It runs great, never an error message
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Lurker View Post
I'll tell you what. I have a Mac Mini i7 server with a Sonnet Echo Express Thunderbolt chassis with an RME HDSPe-AIO audio interface and a UAD2 Quad in it.

It runs great, never an error message
i also have no isues with my uad cards - but there is something wrong with the fw chipset or the drivers of apollo!!!
Old 6th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackLab View Post
Guys,

Device start order:

My Setup:
16gig Ram
ProTools 10
Beware.. I had a few instances where my system seemed to be fixed for a few days.. maybe even a week and then everything went to sh*t again. Hopefully you don't have the same luck!
Old 6th June 2013
Here for the gear

edit: woops, didn't see that someone had posted the same solution above.
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

v7.0.1 released. Few folks having more success with this version, particularly on OSX.
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

all ua beta tester are welcome!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search