The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
From Fast Track 2 to Scarlette 2i2?
Old 24th April 2013
Here for the gear

From Fast Track 2 to Scarlette 2i2?

Hello to all.
New user looking for some advice before I make a purchase.

I currently do a lot of home studio recording and after a year of using the Fast track 2 can safely say I'm ready for a new interface. My question to you guys is with a budget of 150 quid is it worth purchasing the Focusrite 2i2 or is the difference in pre amps/sound quality not enough for me to shed out the cash until I have a significant amount more.

I understand the higher end stuff is where you would see a clear difference but for now I would just like a nice clean, clear and warm sound for independent promotional projects.

I've had a nightmare of a time with the fast track with relation to not enough gain, poor drivers, randomly conking out and a flat cold and dull sound from the pres.

My room is treated to a decent level and level of mixing is ok too. I record a lot of hip hop, rnb vocals and neo soul singers.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

I use Cubase 5
AT4040 Condenser
Toshiba satellite c350 - i5 (windows 8 64 bit)
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Head

Nope, it will not significantly change your sound. You practically won't hear any difference.
Old 24th April 2013
Here for the gear

Ok thanks, so would you recommend something around this budget that would be more reliable and clean sounding to replace the Fast track even if there isn't a significant difference in sound quality? Anything that will compliment the condenser?
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny24 View Post
Ok thanks, so would you recommend something around this budget that would be more reliable and clean sounding to replace the Fast track even if there isn't a significant difference in sound quality? Anything that will compliment the condenser?
It's a bit over your budget, but, especially if you do a lot of rap (but it works on a wide range of vocals), get a Shure SM7b.
Old 24th April 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice, I think im going to stick with the at4040 condenser for now but ill bare that in mind. Just out of curiosity have you heard of the emu 0404, was thinking this might have been a good option
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

crossgrading
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search