The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
what SSD boot drive size? with protools, final cut pro, Komplete 8 Ultimate, Waves
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Nut

what SSD boot drive size? with protools, final cut pro, Komplete 8 Ultimate, Waves

Hey all. I am looking into getting an ssd boot drive for my mac mini. It will be a SATA 6GB transfer rate drive. The one i was looking at is 120GB capacity.

Will 120GB be big enough to install My plugins, Virtual instruments, Protools, Reason, and Final cut pro?

I of course will have my sample libraries on an external SSD running on Thunderbolt.

All of my audio recording will be done to a second internal drive 7200RPM.

Any opinions on hard drive size for the SSD boot drive?
Any opinions on where i should be installing and running my software from?
Should i install my Virtual Instruments to another external SSD or is it fine to keep them installed on my system drive.

Thanks!
Old 24th April 2013
Install all the programs on the SSD, as well as all the virtual instruments. Install all the sound libraries for the instruments on a separate drive.

It might be worth it to step up to a 256 GB SSD drive just for the extra headroom. If you install Final Cut Studio (do you have this or just Final Cut?) then I believe it can take over 30 GB for a full install.
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Maniac

In this case, I would go at least for 256Gb. I have 120Gb and it's easily filled by OS, DAW and other software. If there are cost issues I would also put the sound libraries to separate hard drive.
Old 24th April 2013
Sky
Lives for gear

Your strategy sounds right to me. I went 256GB SSD for system and apps, 512 SSD for samples and 1TB HD for recording. 256GB provides room for expansion and likely eases degradation a bit as data can be shuffled more easily (and less often) with the unused capacity.

Sky
Old 24th April 2013
def go for the 240+gb ssd if you can swing it. my first build i went with the 120 and it filled up mad fast.

my current setup is a 256gb ssd for os/apps, (2) 1tb drives in raid 0 for recording and (2) 3tb drives in raid 0 for samples/storage.
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Addict

Crucial has recently introduced SSDs at some REALLY good price points.
Nice to see $/gig are getting near to platter HD levels.

240 GB = $219
480 GB = $399
960 GB - $599

Review at Anandtech
AnandTech | The Crucial/Micron M500 Review (960GB, 480GB, 240GB, 120GB)

This quote pretty much sums up how most of us have been feeling about SSDs:

"This is probably the most excited I've been about any SSD launch in quite a while. At CES this year, Crucial announced its M500 SSD - the world's first to use Micron's new 128Gbit MLC NAND die. Courtesy of the cost savings and density increase associated with this new 128Gbit NAND, the M500 would be available in a 960GB capacity, priced at $599. That works out to be around $0.62 per GB for a truly gigantic drive by today's standards. It's exciting. For the past five years I've been learning to live off of less storage that I thought I needed, but the M500 had the potential to spoil me once again."

I know what I'm going to be using as a boot drive once they're back in stock...
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Nut

Thanks for the very clear advice everyone! you all agree! there's a first for a thread on here haha.

Unfortunately I cannot afford more than 120GB at this time (assuming i get a 6gb transfer speed) I will have to start with 120 and once it runs out of room i will upgrade and then use my 120gb inside an external casing for sample libraries

Should i delete any programs from my computer to save space? calculator etc... Anything that i can uninstall that would save a lot of space? Mac Mini running OSX Mountain lion
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Addict

here's a good 120 gig SSD:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDEX6G120/

I don't think that deleting any of the core apps that ships with Mtn Lion will save that much space. Calculator is 4 mb.

I think the install size for Mtn Lion is around 8 gigs?

At any rate, using my boot SSD as an example (it's a 120 gig): I have 49 gigs used (OSX 10.6.8, Adobe CS5, MS Office 2011, Logic Pro (no extras), various 3rd party apps and a few VIs. So not too bad.

Another 120gig SSD that's for VIs only is getting close to full with Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, and BFD 2 (well, 20 gigs left over). It's VI's with large sample data that fills your drives up fast...
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Reid View Post
here's a good 120 gig SSD:

Another 120gig SSD that's for VIs only is getting close to full with Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, and BFD 2 (well, 20 gigs left over). It's VI's with large sample data that fills your drives up fast...
Just to clarify you have done what others have suggested and have your sample libraries on another 120gig SSD? Or do you actually have the VI's installed on that drive?

Thanks!
Old 24th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSound View Post
Just to clarify you have done what others have suggested and have your sample libraries on another 120gig SSD? Or do you actually have the VI's installed on that drive?

Thanks!
Just the libraries.
Old 25th April 2013
Gear Nut

Komplete 8 is over 250 gigs on its own. Unless you install the content to an external drive.

Oh nvm. You already know this.
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

Komplete 9 is 90GB. I run all my apps off an internal SSD with 240GB and I have 150 GB left. Can I install the Komplete samples on this HD? Or do I need another external drive for the samples? If I put them on the internal SSD I will still have 60GB free. I run all my sessions and audio files off a separate external HD. I'd rather keep samples and apps on the internal SSD, unless this will cause obvious problems.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search