The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo LIO-8 with 4 preamps: ASTONISHING
Old 23rd April 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Metric Halo LIO-8 with 4 preamps: ASTONISHING

Hello

I bought this audio interface almost 2 years ago... I took some time to know it because the first impact was WOW exponentially, so I thought..."well.. give it some time, it will surely have something you'll hate"

People know I'm kind of picky, point is to me is really important to get back the value of the money I've spent.

Meaning, if I spend 1000$ I want to have back something that makes my life simpler as much as the money I spent

Well, that's a very expensive interface if someone looks exclusively at the price tag... and to me is REALLY FREAKING EXPENSIVE because I'm broke

Well, I also hated a bit seeing a lot of people pushing MH interfaces, like all the people who bought MH interfaces felt the need to tell how happy those interfaces made 'em

Well again... +1, me...

Never been so much happy and proud for something I bought, only things at the same level that came to mind are the MS20, and few other things

With the LIO-8 I got:

- 8 AD/DA channels of astonishing conversion
- 4 preamps with 90 freaking db of gain!!!! That sounds unbelievably good. You can put them side by side with hi end or even boutique preamps. Totally transparent and full of character... how do you explain this? A character that's not a color per se, but something like you say.. that's the MH sound... and it is totally clean and transparent... just everything is perfectly reproduced and you get an authentic feel even playing the guitar or anything else, through it
- 2 D.I. channels with adjustable gain that sounds amazing. I'm not using the Red Eye anymore... just if I need another channel. And the Red Eye alone costs 250 euros or more..ok it has reamp too, but the Radial JDI costs 200 and its only DI and the Red Eye DI is at the JDI level if not better...
- 1 world class headphone converter... never heard my headphones sounding that good, defined, harmonic, full! You hear things you've never heard in recordings you know since you were a baby
- Every channel is ground liftable... just move jumpers. If I'm not mistaken you can also use the outputs with headphones so you can connect up to 9 headphones if you need
- SMPTE... guys... you have a dedicated I/O for SMPTE!!!! No more wasting channel
- I got a mixer inside the LIO which is totally customizable and has its own CPU that takes care of everything, all compensated, hassle free. And there you understand what means parallel compression because in every DAW I tried it, it never sounded so great.. here you don't hear any phase artifacts mixing the dry and the compressed channel... explain me that. Some one has to tell this to Brauer because he doesn't use parallel compression ITB.. well.. he should try this. I can even use channel strip on my guitar, bass, voice, while I'm playing and eq it in real time... yeah you can do it with many thing but none of them sounds like a real EQ outboard does... I can use the mixer as a summing device and it does sum!
- I got a plug in channel strip that made me hate all the other plug ins I own.. so I sold them (losing a lot of money). I just hope to have the money one day to get a Channel Strip 3 native... because that's probably the only thing that can come close to the MIO Strip and isn't hardware.
The compressor in that thing makes you just understand how wrong the other plug in compressors are. Sounds so good, it never smashes the transient unless you deliberately ask it to do that and when it does it... well, it doesn't sound as a plug in...
Usually a plug in introduces certain artifacts, distortions, that sound really harsh.. even the supposed emulators sound harsh, grainy, everything but sweet, cohesive, real... every plug in sound fake in some way.. this... well, no. Even if you squash, I don't know 120db (it can do that, if you put the knee at -1), it sounds real, squashed but nowhere near harsh, hard, digital.. nothing like that.. I even heard some analog hardware sound harsher and even more "digital". Plus it is extremely creative. It can be totally wild or totally transparent even with a lot of db of GR.
The gate then is very fun to work with.. it is a gate where you don't have to find perfection, but performance. Make it swing and it will sound amazing in the mix (even though soloed could be a bit drastic sometimes) and even this can be extremely creative
The EQ... what an EQ... I've tried all the EQ on the market I think... I always go back to this... I prefer commit the audio then using other EQs... I'd love to be able to select -6 -18 -24 and maybe even an ultra steep slope... so sometimes I look for other EQ.. but in the end.. I always prefer the standard -12 slope of the MIO.... even though I'd like che MIO strip to go at -6 -18 or more, or at least just -6, so I can get -18 or -24 using two bands...
The point is I don't find a Q setting or a gain level or a frequency in which the EQ start sounding bad, strange, harsh, nasal, etc...

Oh.. another thing, I've measured the plug in, turning every setting to find it it does introduce aliasing or stuff... well.. no.. you can put it at extreme setting or whatever, it doesn't blink.... the only thing you can see is a full fish spine... of all the harmonics introduced.. and it is perfect, no artifacts, no aliasing, and also the harmonics are very loud compared to other plug ins.. like.. usually they are under -70db or even less.. here they are like -30/50db... as it is on certain HW outboard I own

I have a question: Is it a problem if I find myself using 24db in boost with that EQ? Because that happen quite often... and I feel guilty

- I also got a monitor controller... yes, is digital... so, on paper, you don't actually prevent your speakers..... since I got it my speaker have never been better... there's a way to calibrate the monitor controller... so you never exceed a certain level..... so in the end, add this to the flawless driver stability and I never got any problem of any kind

- I got a knob per channel to set the gain... so if something is too hot or if I want to push a preamp to hell.. I can turn down the line level... if something is too soft.. I can turn it up... not just -10+4 but pretty much everything, so I can use all my equipment better, with better gain staging and everything, leading to a better result

Another thing about the converters... they are true. No hifiness... no "I make it pretty so you like it more"... it is incredible how rich the recordings and the playback of other recordings, is. Comparing it to a smooth converter could almost sound "raw"... but comparing it to the original material sounds the same. The result of this is that if I put my bass on another converter and play it through the speakers... it sounds like a bass coming off an hi fi.. good.. but unnatural, strange, and you can feel it on your fingers... if I put it in the LIO.. it sounds like it is coming from an amp. Not meaning the LIO sounds like a bass amp... but the transient response is totally natural.. and you feel it on your fingers.. and you recognize your instrument as it is, as it sounds unplugged

Oh, you can also calibrate the converters level so you can actually work using k-system standards

Another very important thing, I got many audio interfaces and converters in my life... I've heard many others in studio etc.. I also got the 2882 and the ULN-2 for a short period... well.. the big difference you don't hear with other converters is, actually are:

1 - You understand what means 3D and what are reverbs and which are the good one and the bad ones. You hear the room. Usually you hear the shhhh or you hear the dimension in 2D... there you hear the depth. Certain recordings that had great space, dimensions, on other converters sounded more "in your face"... there you here the depth.. reverbs are less evident as an effect, you hear the room where the recording happened or as the FX was supposed to emulate it

2 - The sound is still. You don't hear any movements... you just hear the instruments moving, the sound moving, the original intended modulations... in other converters I always heard something was not consistent... with bad converters I felt almost seasick and these phase problems caused me a lot of hearing fatigue (now I know it, before I couldn't imagine a converter could cause more hear fatigue than another) now I can listen music for hours and never get tired.
It is a converter that doesn't try to impress you, lets the music impress you.

- Plus you have a very clever metering for every channel, an ASTONISHING reverb, the same as the MIO strip, it really doesn't feel like a plug in, you could put it against hardware and be impressed because you could even prefer it

Well... all that... and I'm surely missing something

With the LIO I feel everything is under control and I don't miss anything

Now, do all that buying all the stuff separated and see how much you spend... I consider this a Low End sound card on the price tag... even though I'm the first who would like it to cost half the price because I want more channels..... I'd love to have 24 channels!!!!!!

Oh.. and latency and stuff.. it is just something of the past.. I feel direct contact with the instrument in every conditions

Oh.. and also the thing "digital sounding" wouldn't be ended up in the AE dictionary if these were the audio interfaces, converters, plug in, on the market

And makes me think how many analog things I got or people get, to get a rid of the "digital sound"... while you just have to get a rid of your interface/converter/plugins... and use something like that

Thank you Metric Halo

I'd just would like to have more money so I can buy you more interfaces and plug ins and also support more your business

You got me a lot of things with that LIO, I almost feel guilty I cannot buy you other stuff
Old 23rd April 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
tedtan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
- 4 preamps...Totally transparent and full of character...
That must be an incredible interface, elan!
Old 24th April 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtan View Post
That must be an incredible interface, elan!
In fact it is :D
Old 24th April 2013
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Elan obviously drank the bottle of Metric Halo kool-aid that comes with each piece of MH gear. I have as well; very tasty and makes you smile for a long time. Or maybe it's just really good sounding gear and a company that's easy to work with.

WW
Old 25th April 2013
  #5
i have the ULN-8 as my heart/soul of my studio and pretty much had the same experience as you.

i leave it in a static mode for studio 'cause i do all the mixing, etc. in Protools, but i do all my routing to headphones, etc. and to monitors (in 5.1) in the MIO Mixer.

on location/remote gigs, it's 1 rack space and done. that's it.

great box. i never shot it out vs any other converters back-to-back, but yeah, the headphone amp does sound amazing now that you mention it!

marty.
Old 25th April 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
ben_allison's Avatar
 

I have a LIO and the fact that I can add 4 pres for like $700 is really tempting...
Old 25th April 2013
  #7
Gear Addict
 
jayfield's Avatar
 

I'm riding on the MH train with Elan with my ULN8. I concur with all of your evaluations,--well said. It truly is one beautiful ride!
Old 25th April 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty lester View Post
great box. i never shot it out vs any other converters back-to-back, but yeah, the headphone amp does sound amazing now that you mention it!

marty.
What's amazing in the headphone amp and in general in these converter, is the separation between kick and bass and everything that happen in that area... and in general in all the spectrum, you clearly hear where an instrument/track ends and where starts the other one

There's an amazing articulation and things sound more alive because every transient, and so the impact, is perfectly reproduced
Old 25th April 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
A440's Avatar
yep, you're right Elan. I've been using MH units a long time, and the ULN-8 for quite a few years and it is astonishing. A bunch of highly intelligent people sat down together and designed the best audio interface they could, without all the marketing bull**** that most companies have to go through. The result, an extraordinary product that is 100% fit for purpose. Plus, if you have any niggles or problems, a customer service team that actually understands their products inside out and cares about finding the best solution for the customer. I drank the MH koolaid too and have never regretted it
Old 25th April 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by A440 View Post
yep, you're right Elan. I've been using MH units a long time, and the ULN-8 for quite a few years and it is astonishing. A bunch of highly intelligent people sat down together and designed the best audio interface they could, without all the marketing bull**** that most companies have to go through. The result, an extraordinary product that is 100% fit for purpose. Plus, if you have any niggles or problems, a customer service team that actually understands their products inside out and cares about finding the best solution for the customer. I drank the MH koolaid too and have never regretted it
Exactly... and I got two minor problems... one with the DI ports and another one with the headphone out (both were like false contact..) and, considering I'm from Europe and I didn't wanted to send the unit to the distributor... you don't know what people you find and I usually had the worst nightmares happening with distributors... well.. they told me... no problem, we send you the DI board and the Headphone board... and you mount them

Fine! Perfect!

No time lost, it took me 15 minutes and I was ready to go!

I got the same situation with another company... they started telling me I was wrong.. the distributor is trustworthy, very professional, but unfortunately was a distributor that gave me a lot of problems in the past with a pair of monitor, a duende and other stuff that was imported by them... and they have even insulted me at phone when I was asking them the replace a pair of used speaker (which were supposed to be new) and I was in the store with close to me the owner of the store (on my side).. just to give you an idea. Metric Halo never contested or judged or doubted of my experiences with distributors.. they have just been on my side without questioning anything, trying to find a viable solution

I don't know another company who work in that way... no one would have trust me to change the boards... except MH. They sent me a very easy 5 step procedure, totally hassle free.. even though the LIO is built so well, so well organized that I could have mounted them without any support

Thank you Metric Halo!!
Maybe the key is to trust your customers so they'll trust you
Old 26th April 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
ben_allison's Avatar
 

FINALLY got to really use my LIO today for some VO's and I couldn't be happier.

Obviously it sounds great, but it's all the other stuff that really seals the deal (the console, routing, front panel layout, customer service).
Old 22nd June 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
oh I discovered the reason why the LIO is also a great monitor controller :P

Because the volume is an actual analog trim :P.. I thought was digital (midi controlled)

I remember a guy from a MH telling me.. "first try the LIO as it is without external monitor controller.. and see if it works for you"... and yes it works :P and now I understand why I never got any problem... because it is an analog trim after the converter :P

Sometimes MH doesn't even give all the importance to its audio interface features :P doesn't "enlight them properly"

Now I just miss the mono button :P

Thank you Metric Halo!!
Old 22nd June 2013
  #13
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I don't know another company who work in that way...
Yeah, they're good. I also had a monitor pot that went noisy pretty quick, and, after confirming I could do some precise soldering, they sent the pot out. 15 minutes later it was in, and the warranty still in place. Manley works great with customers as well.

WW
Old 22nd June 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
ben_allison's Avatar
 

Yeah their dedication to their customers is nothing short of remarkable.
Old 22nd June 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Now I just miss the mono button :P

Thank you Metric Halo!!
If you have +dsp and you do routing through the MIO you can set up a mono selection in the monitor controller.

I've had my box since they offered them to current customers at a discount. It never ceases to amaze me.
Old 30th June 2013
  #16
cme
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
If you have +dsp and you do routing through the MIO you can set up a mono selection in the monitor controller.

I've had my box since they offered them to current customers at a discount. It never ceases to amaze me.
I recently picked up their production bundle at the discounted price for +DSP owners. they epitomize great customer service. Very fair, polite, and quick to respond.

Anyways my addiction started with a ULN-2. Soon after bought and installed a 2D card. Super easy and totally worth it. Then found a good deal on a 2882 expanded +DSP. Love that the +DSP license transfers to your other boxes when they're hooked together. Most companies would make you pay the fee per box.

Anyways ended up selling the ULN-2, as I needed the money more than the extra I/O. I do miss it though. I recently bought 2882 +DSP non expanded and sold my other 2882. Mainly or financial reasons. I'll soon buy a 2D card for it and still have less than I sold my other 2882 for.

Obviously a ULN/LIO-8 are out of my budget right now. But I hope to be able to afford one some day. Maybe during their annual sale.

The two things I know for sure are

1. A MH interface will always be the center of my rig.

2. Said interface will always have a +DSP license.

It's simply incredible what all you can do with their on-board DSP. ESP with a +DSP license.
Old 30th June 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 

It's incredible - my 2882 which is 13 years old is going to be thunderbolt compatible when the time arrives!!!
Personally I'd love a lio. Can anyone with a 2882 and a lio or unl8 describe the difference in sound quality?
Old 30th June 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
nomatic's Avatar
My ULN-8 is the smartest single purchase I have ever made.......
Old 30th June 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
cinealta's Avatar
 

LIO-8 is heart of my studio. Couldn't be happier.
Old 30th June 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
rmx16's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty lester View Post
i have the ULN-8 as my heart/soul of my studio and pretty much had the same experience as you.

i leave it in a static mode for studio 'cause i do all the mixing, etc. in Protools, but i do all my routing to headphones, etc. and to monitors (in 5.1) in the MIO Mixer.

on location/remote gigs, it's 1 rack space and done. that's it.

great box. i never shot it out vs any other converters back-to-back, but yeah, the headphone amp does sound amazing now that you mention it!

marty.
Good taste and a Flyers fan too
Old 30th June 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
It's incredible - my 2882 which is 13 years old is going to be thunderbolt compatible when the time arrives!!!
Personally I'd love a lio. Can anyone with a 2882 and a lio or unl8 describe the difference in sound quality?
well I got the 2882 and the ULN-2 for a month or so before getting the LIO and the difference is big

don't get me wrong... consider that the 2882 sound so good compared to many other respectable interfaces I've tried before (RME, Apogee come to mind), but I've always felt a lack of low end/sub lows... particularly noticeable with electronic stuff.. plus the noise floor in the 2882 can be a problem, at least for me.

the ULN-2 sounds as a 2882 "should sound"... extended low end, completely silent... the ULN-2 has been a big step up for me... but I needed more channels... so I've been able to get a LIO after some months

The difference is the sound is even fuller is really 3D.. the depth in these converter is astonishing... is still.. you don't hear anything moving and that makes the sound really focused, detailed without being hyped in any way (most converters confuse clarity/detail.. with a boost on the highs or scooped mids)

I think you should try it yourself because it is hard to explain
Old 2nd September 2013
  #22
Here for the gear
 

Everything stated in the original post and subsequent remarks is spot on. I'm running a ULN8 + 2882 rig and couldn't be happier. This is a triumphant thread and appropriately so.
Old 2nd September 2013
  #23
Gear interested
 

+1

yea niccuh
Old 2nd September 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
well I got the 2882 and the ULN-2 for a month or so before getting the LIO and the difference is big

don't get me wrong... consider that the 2882 sound so good compared to many other respectable interfaces I've tried before (RME, Apogee come to mind), but I've always felt a lack of low end/sub lows... particularly noticeable with electronic stuff.. plus the noise floor in the 2882 can be a problem, at least for me.

the ULN-2 sounds as a 2882 "should sound"... extended low end, completely silent... the ULN-2 has been a big step up for me... but I needed more channels... so I've been able to get a LIO after some months

The difference is the sound is even fuller is really 3D.. the depth in these converter is astonishing... is still.. you don't hear anything moving and that makes the sound really focused, detailed without being hyped in any way (most converters confuse clarity/detail.. with a boost on the highs or scooped mids)

I think you should try it yourself because it is hard to explain
Apparently the 2882 and uln-2 should sound exactly the same except for the pres - the converters are the same. The thing I did notice though was that 2822 is stated as having gen 1 analog and uln2 gen 2 analog. I assumed this to be the pre-amps they where talking about. Love to get confirmation on this though.
Old 2nd September 2013
  #25
Gear Head
 
stevelalonde's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Apparently the 2882 and uln-2 should sound exactly the same except for the pres - the converters are the same. The thing I did notice though was that 2822 is stated as having gen 1 analog and uln2 gen 2 analog. I assumed this to be the pre-amps they where talking about. Love to get confirmation on this though.
Uln2 has 2nd gen preamp (3rd gen for uln8/lio) and the analog technology... Well I'm not so sure about it.

I had some rme stuff and when my ff400 died during a soundcheck the owner of the music shop where I buy all my stuff lended me a brand new 2882 and said : try this, you're gonna love it. I did so much, I bought it and one year later bought an uln8 the first few months where hard, money-wise, but I never been happier with gear (except maybe, my very first microphone).


Last edited by stevelalonde; 2nd September 2013 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: I was wrong
Old 2nd September 2013
  #26
Gear Head
 
Freetom's Avatar
 

I love MH gear too! Have the ULN-2 but looking on the ULN-8 /LIO since quite some time now and hope I can afford one soon.

Until now I wish there would be a mono switch on the monitor control, also that the character stuff is a bit more tweak able, like the real plugins where you can set gain and drive.
Somehow I think the ULN-2 sound more 2d and would really like to hear it against ULN-8/LIO to get an idea of how much difference there is and how much more depth it can represent.

I also ask my self how much of a difference it is the sum with mil-mixer against a logic-x bounce. have to try this, as I can imagine that the playback accurateness (phase issues) could force some problem when routing into the mio mixer and record from there. Even more with a lot of plugins running... have to test that!
Anybody out there who can comment on this?
Old 2nd September 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
MH should design a 16 channel and 32 channel version aka the Orion ADDA real fast.
16 channel for the lower budget, 32 channel for the big budget.

Make it with Thunderbolt + USB3 + Esata for direct streaming to HD.
Make seamless audio streaming over Thunderbolt between interfaces a reality.
Update all plugins and increase DSP and RAM power to run the latest plugins.
Then PLEASE ADD A WINDOWS DRIVER to be able to use it on both platforms.
Windows 7 is very solid so this must be possible.

THIS would KILL absolutely all other interfaces on the market for a long time to come.
And man would it sell, every loyal user would upgrade and more people will buy it.

I am DREAMING of this baby to come....
Old 2nd September 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
My ULN-8 is the smartest single purchase I have ever made.......
Ditto!
Old 2nd September 2013
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Apparently the 2882 and uln-2 should sound exactly the same except for the pres - the converters are the same. The thing I did notice though was that 2822 is stated as having gen 1 analog and uln2 gen 2 analog. I assumed this to be the pre-amps they where talking about. Love to get confirmation on this though.
Well... I ignore appearances.

The converter chip is the same.
Which is the same converter chip of the old Digidesign M-Box.

Does the M-Box sound as the 2882 or the ULN-2?
No, by any means, in any world of any galaxy.

So, what the hell??

That's a reason, maybe the main reason, why we have the crappy stuff we have today on the audio/instrument market... I call them "toys made for ignorants scared to death about their ignorance"

Today most of the people value stuff because of their spec and features.. but they seem they have not been equipped with EARS.

If you hear an M-Box and a 2882 (not even the ULN) you'll be blown away by the 2882 and you'll consider the M-Box a decent crappy thing.

That alone would explain you that the converter chip doesn't mean anything, or very little.

So, what's the difference between the M-Box and the 2882? The analog part.

On one they made things together to have a cheap portable thing (that costs nothing to produce and let you gain a lot) to sell to newbie musician or pro who just needed PT to take the sessions to a studio.

The other thing, the 2882, has been made by people equipped with ears that they chose to use them to achieve a goal: make the best interface out there for the time and that could last as much as it could, trimming every cost and margin down to give to the final user the best they can for the money asked.. hoping to gain enough money on the long run (in fact 2882 is 1999 and next year will do 15 years), while the others put out crappy things for 2 years to replace them with even more crappier ones.. but they gain by screwing people who will always feel the need to upgrade to something.. they are like drug dealers with their addicted clients..

Well MH doesn't treat us as addicted clients.

So.. the "spec generation" would say.. the M-Box and the 2882 are exactly the same, they use the same converter and they sound the same, if I hear any difference is because my ears are getting fooled because they know they are two different interface, but in a blind test I wouldn't know which to pick.. so they are the same.

WRONG. You're ears are hearing a big difference but you don't trust your ears so you're rational part tells you there can't be any difference and you end up not hearing it, especially in a shoot out where it can be very hard to hear any difference if you are not experienced and you don't know HOW to listen to a shoot out (consider that the differences you hear in a shoot out are much more exaggerated in real world use MUCH MORE).

Well.. my ears tell me there's a big difference between the M-Box and the 2882 (obviously) but there's also a lot of difference with the ULN-2... and that's because I hear it and I feel it... and you'd tell me.. you cannot prove it.. and if you cannot prove it it doesn't exist, it cannot be true... fine, I don't care, I don't need to prove it.

But then.. what happens? That just for the sake of it.. because these "paranoid who don't trust their ears" are contagious... I did a test.. and I found out the 2882 is -1db at 30hz.......... which means more at 20hz.. which means -10db after 10 AD/DA conversion

Which means my ear is maybe too sensible.. but it was right.
That's my method.. always EARS first.. so you'll know how to interpret specs, tests and so on.

Also consider a converter can be +/- 0db.. but still can sound different from the original, hyped in some places.. muddy, clouded.. and so on.. the FF800 I had before was perfectly linear, probably more linear than the 2882 or even the ULN-2.. but it didn't sound linear at all (so don't let that -1db fool you, I mean.. if you do rock stuff or acoustic things probably you won't ever feel that -1db at 30hz).

It is more in the way the converters put out the sound.. their dynamics.. their phase coherency and so on... I'm not that tech to know the exact reasons, but I have enough good ears to know when something is sounding as it should and when something is not.

Ok sorry again for the length..
Old 2nd September 2013
  #30
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Apparently the 2882 and uln-2 should sound exactly the same except for the pres - the converters are the same. The thing I did notice though was that 2822 is stated as having gen 1 analog and uln2 gen 2 analog. I assumed this to be the pre-amps they where talking about. Love to get confirmation on this though.
I believe the "2nd gen. analog" regards the signal path through the box, not just the pres.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump