The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Real Pultec Eqs vs Plugin Pultecs
Old 10th April 2013
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Real Pultec Eqs vs Plugin Pultecs

Has anyone here ever used a real pultec eq? I've been messing around with PSP Nobleq which i like but now i'm wondering how much of a difference there is between the plugin and real hardware. Does the difference in sound correlate with the astronomical price difference? If so, I might need to start saving.

anyone with first hand experience with the real thing AND plugins care to chime in?
Old 10th April 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
dhiltonlittle's Avatar
 

Start saving!
Old 10th April 2013
  #3
Gear Addict
 

LOL. damnit.
Old 10th April 2013
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFB View Post
Has anyone here ever used a real pultec eq?
Yea Plenty. Some great. Some terrible. Some...meh...All wildly different. Good luck finding a pair of vintage units that sound the same. I am sure I've heard a few busted ones, that got the sandpaper glove from a weak tech.

Quote:
I've been messing around with PSP Nobleq which i like but now i'm wondering how much of a difference there is between the plugin and real hardware. Does the difference in sound correlate with the astronomical price difference? If so, I might need to start saving.
Yup, I'm still saving! I need a rack full of just passive tube EQ's. These EQ's are like audio engineer steroids. It is as much difference -- as there is land between California and Boston. Real nice passive Tube/Transformer EQ's sound incredible to me. They have harmonic weight, depth and organic, natural blending ability.

Quote:
anyone with first hand experience with the real thing AND plugins care to chime in?
I use the stuff in cartoon corner. Meh..
I patch this here RETRO 2A3 I got in front of me, and WOW
sounds like something real!! The difference between the plug in and the real thing is pointless,
I use both, where they are useful, and not try and over think it all, or let any differences get in my way...

peace
Old 10th April 2013
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Yup..

The new Pulse Technique 1A3 is a Pultec..
Old 10th April 2013
  #6
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
some of the pultec plugs are useful but as far as standing up sonically to the real thing=simply no contest.
Old 10th April 2013
  #7
Gear Addict
 

thanks for the feedback guys! Guess I'll start saving up....
Old 10th April 2013
  #8
Deleted User
Guest
Hopefully before you're done saving up, UAD will release a mk2 Pultec that will be the equivalent of their new 1176's and LA2A's.
Old 11th April 2013
  #9
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFB View Post
thanks for the feedback guys! Guess I'll start saving up....
I have pultecs and retro's.they're both great.Retro is a bit cheaper for 2 ch's
Old 11th April 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
chet.d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I use the stuff in cartoon corner. Meh..
I patch this here RETRO 2A3 I got in front of me, and WOW
sounds like something real!! The difference between the plug in and the real thing is pointless,
I use both, where they are useful, and not try and over think it all, or let any differences get in my way...

peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
some of the pultec plugs are useful but as far as standing up sonically to the real thing=simply no contest.

Yeah. The weight & harmonic richness of the 2A3 is a joy.
The UAD pultec is useful when needed on a track here & there.
Not the same power by far. Just the way it is and that's not a bad thing.
Old 11th April 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFB View Post
I've been messing around with PSP Nobleq which i like but now i'm wondering how much of a difference there is between the plugin and real hardware.
Nobleq is by far the best Pultec eq plugin I've used and I think it deserves special consideration to the extent that comparisons against OTHER Pultex plugins are irrelevant.

In my opinion, the hardware wins, but Nobleq is impressively similar. For mission critical tracks (e.g. the lead vocal) a hardware Pultec is going to sound appreciably better, but for most of the other tracks... eh, your mix won't know much difference.
Old 11th April 2013
  #12
Gear Maniac
I've got 2 EQH2's and a single EQP1a. If I ever have to start selling off gear they'd be some of the last things to go. The plugin versions don't have the air at the top or the size at the bottom. But hey, they don't cost $5000 each either!
Old 11th April 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
DeepSpace's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
For mission critical tracks (e.g. the lead vocal) a hardware Pultec is going to sound appreciably better, but for most of the other tracks... eh, your mix won't know much difference.
I kinda agree. Except that I'd still rather use hardware (if available) on less prominent tracks as well.
Old 11th April 2013
  #14
Here for the gear
 

I'm probably going to get destroyed for saying this but having used a hardware pultec for the first time a few months ago I was kind of underwhelmed. Especially given its price point these days.

I guess if I had unlimited funds I'd still grab a couple but I don't notice a $4000+ difference between the various plugin emulations and the real thing.
Old 11th April 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Owned a tubetech for some years and the main room in my studio has the originals, I also have lots of plugs that emulate. None of them sound the same at all lol
Old 11th April 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
steins's Avatar
First, I have not have the opportunity to use the real thing. However, I use a pair of Amtec PEQ-1A which are based on the Pultec design. They don't claim to be Pultec clones, but I find them to have the same sonic character as some of the Pultec plugins, especially the Waves CLA one.

For me, the main difference is how hard you can push the Amtec before it starts to sound unnatural. I can dial some pretty extreme settings on the Amtec and it just sounds natural and, well, useful. In my ears, the plugin-clones tend to sound more pressed and hard-sounding when pushed. Some of this can be countered by proper gain staging in the DAW, but still...

Not that anyone will notice anything when listening to the finished squashed mp3-mix anyway, but as a tool for getting where you want in the least amount of time, I like hardware better.

Stein Tore
Old 11th April 2013
  #17
nms
Lives for gear
 
nms's Avatar
I'd just go for one of the new ones:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manu...Pultec&sb=&pn=

My Clariphonic keeps me happy though so no EQ shopping this year for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins View Post
Not that anyone will notice anything when listening to the finished squashed mp3-mix anyway,
Is there a difference to be heard? If so then people will hear it. Whether they articulate it as "hey a Pultec!" is beside the fact.
Old 11th April 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Pale Pyramid's Avatar
I don't have time to find a link and post it.

Some one posted a shoot out thread between a Retro 2a3 and a well respected plugin pultec. It's here on GS.

To me the difference was quite noticeable. I can throw in many descriptors such as girth, dimension, color etc.

You should be the judge after listening for yourself. As a good chunk of change will part ways with you if you do go the hardware route.
Old 11th April 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
steins's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Is there a difference to be heard? If so then people will hear it. Whether they articulate it as "hey a Pultec!" is beside the fact.
That's kind of what I ment to say, but using too much words and bad English :-).

Stein Tore
Old 11th April 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
bigbone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
some of the pultec plugs are useful but as far as standing up sonically to the real thing=simply no contest.

What are the one you like as Pultec plugins ?

Thank you
Old 11th April 2013
  #21
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
What are the one you like as Pultec plugins ?

Thank you
DMG Equlibrium set to the Pultec curves.
IMO the best eq plug out there,period.
Makes the Waves versions sound hard/grainy.
Old 11th April 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
bigbone's Avatar
 

Thank's RB
Old 11th April 2013
  #23
Mgr
Lives for gear
 
Mgr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
DMG Equlibrium set to the Pultec curves.
IMO the best eq plug out there,period.
Makes the Waves versions sound hard/grainy.
Looks very interesting , like the GUI a lot...
Old 11th April 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 
bigbone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgr View Post
Looks very interesting , like the GUI a lot...
Agree.
Old 11th April 2013
  #25
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

I have a real Pultec and a bunch of plugs, while I prefer the real one that damn JJP Waves one is pretty nice.
Old 11th April 2013
  #26
Lives for gear
 
dandeurloo's Avatar
DIY some Drip Pultecs! The ones I have heard have all been really great sounding and a fraction of the cost. I still personally need to build a pair. I have been using the Analog Allstars solid state 500 until I get around to the Drips. Those are nice little eq's as well. Not tube but very nice sounding and do the Pultec Curves.

The plugs I have used all leave me wanting. Tracking Electric guitars through a tube pultec is bliss!
Old 11th April 2013
  #27
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgr View Post
Looks very interesting , like the GUI a lot...
One of the new generation plugs that's completely customizable from gui to eq style to CPU load etc etc etc.
And it sounds incredible.
Old 11th April 2013
  #28
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
One of the new generation plugs that's completely customizable from gui to eq style to CPU load etc etc etc.
And it sounds incredible.
I assume the UAD is one of the Pultec plugs that you like it more than?
Old 17th July 2016
  #29
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
Why do my vintage Pultecs sound nothing like any on 6 different Pultec plug-ins I own?
It's not even close - who models this stuff? because they are clearly and completely different.
one would think in 2016 with convolution and high capacity DSP these plugins would be closer.
Old 17th July 2016
  #30
Gear Addict
 
MrChick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Why do my vintage Pultecs sound nothing like any on 6 different Pultec plug-ins I own?
It's not even close - who models this stuff? because they are clearly and completely different.
one would think in 2016 with convolution and high capacity DSP these plugins would be closer.
Anyone could compare Nebula pultek or Accua Purple to a real hardware?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump