The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Old 24th June 2015
Here for the gear

Scarlett 18i8

Quote:
... I REALLY have not HAD to learn much on the intense side about even MIDI ... so I try to not get too stressed over this all because after all, I chose to stock a good home studio (all hardware synth-based), and I do this to help with PTSD and Anxiety ... and there's often times that even Reaper makes me want to tear my eyes out ... but ... the official Reaper forum has outstanding and helpful people there (again, unlike Pro Tools), and Reaper is pretty powerful, and it has many tutorials on YT as well as on the Groove3 site shared with you.

Good luck to you and above all, enjoy the process! (no "better half", so no personal bartender...I am envious...LOL)
Thanks. I'm still banging away at all this. And I hear ya ... having a 'better half' is great! Having a 'better half' who used to be a bar tender ... well, as they say, that's about as good as it gets.

I tried Reaper and got the same result with it that I got with Pro Tools, although it was a LOT easier to configure and get working. I suspect at least part of the reason it was so easier (for me) was due to my experience with Pro Tools. I think Pro Tools would prepare anyone for ANYTHING!

Since I already have a pretty good handle on at least some of what Pro Tools has to offer, I'm hoping that the BIG, THICK book (over 650 pages!) on learning Pro Tools 10 I just got from Amazon will make a difference. I'm missing something very basic, in terms of MIDI configuration, and I'm hoping the book will fill in the gaps. From what I've read already, I have a LONG way to go. Being a truly stubborn, old fart though should help, and I WILL (eventually) figure it all out.

The other book I ordered (the 'Practical Recording Techniques' book I mentioned in a previous post) is REALLY excellent, and after discovering that the +48 volt 'phantom' switch on my Scarlett 18i8 effects BOTH channels 3 and 4, I've already reconfigured most of my digital interface (cabling). The +48 volt switch is not selectable for channels 3 and 4 (independently). Only channels 1 and 2 are independently selectable (for +48 volts or NOT).

The two tube preamp outputs are now connected to 'Line Inputs' 4 and 5, which frees up channels 1 and 2 for use with the AKG Perception 420 mic (which DOES require +48 volts) and the Shure SM-57 mic (which does NOT require +48 volts). If I need or get another dynamic mic that requires +48 volts, I've now got that covered as well. At least the hardware part of all this is relatively simple.

So, I can now (easily) record both the processed (synth) and unprocessed (raw) outputs of my Godin ACS-SA guitar/Roland GR-33 guitar synth (at line level voltages via the tube preamp outputs), AND the sound (via mics) of my two Fender amps, as well as my ancient (early 50's) Danelectro tube amp (also via mic), in addition to one of my blues harp mics AND a Yamaha keyboard. From my perspective, that's ALMOST as good as it gets.

The one missing link in all this is the MIDI controller/instrument interface and getting that to work properly. Hopefully the 'big book' on Pro Tools 10 will help me solve that problem. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, thanks again for all your input, suggestions and feedback. It is greatly appreciated. I agree with you that all this stuff is VERY therapeutic and is vastly more distracting than just about anything else ... other than fly fishing. But, that's a whole other hobby.

AL
Old 29th June 2015
Gear Nut

Hey there,

I got a problem with my 18i20(at least I think it is a prob with the interface)

I did some vocal recordings with this chain: TAB Funkenwerk UM 17 --> Electrodyne 501 --> Scarlett 18i20 --> DAW

We did some very loud, as well as some tender vocals and no matter what, I always had to raise the gain level to almost max at the pre and at the interface to get a signal o.O
Even then it was very very quiet but noisy, due to the high levels I had to push the gear...
I also tried to use the onboard pre to compare it, but it was also very quiet. I hardly saw the peaks in the daw.

What's going on there? Something feels not right. I already did some vocal recordings with an ISA 2, this was quite similar but the ISA had enough gain to make it up.
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitcheeGoo View Post
Hey there,

I got a problem with my 18i20(at least I think it is a prob with the interface)

I did some vocal recordings with this chain: TAB Funkenwerk UM 17 --> Electrodyne 501 --> Scarlett 18i20 --> DAW

We did some very loud, as well as some tender vocals and no matter what, I always had to raise the gain level to almost max at the pre and at the interface to get a signal o.O
Even then it was very very quiet but noisy, due to the high levels I had to push the gear...
I also tried to use the onboard pre to compare it, but it was also very quiet. I hardly saw the peaks in the daw.

What's going on there? Something feels not right. I already did some vocal recordings with an ISA 2, this was quite similar but the ISA had enough gain to make it up.
I had the same problem with my 18i20 when I had it. I could never get a proper level without having to crank the volume which led to lots of noise. I think those pres on inputs one and two are not as good as focusrite has made them out to be. I ended up getting better results from inputs 3-8.
Old 29th June 2015
Gear Nut

Whith my external preamps I'm using inputs 3-8 because everything is wired behind my desk. I just searched the internet and it seems a lot of peeps having the same probs here...

What did you get instead if I may ask?
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitcheeGoo View Post
Whith my external preamps I'm using inputs 3-8 because everything is wired behind my desk. I just searched the internet and it seems a lot of peeps having the same probs here...

What did you get instead if I may ask?
I ended up buying a Tascam UH-7000. It is much better than the 18i20 in all areas minus the inputs and outputs. Not sure how many inputs you need but that Tascam UH-7000 is pro level gear. The pres are amazing and the ad/da is light years better.
Old 14th July 2015
Here for the gear
Hi All,
Sorry if this has been answered before but has anyone had trouble getting Pro Tools (I'm running 12) to sample at either 64 or 32?
I have a Dell running 32GB of 1600mHZ ram, 500gb Samsung solid state drive and 1TB 7200rpm hard drive, Intel i7 3.6GHz 8mb cache, Windows 7-64bit So it should be plenty fast. Nothing else installed.
When i open the preferences I only have 512 and 1024 options.
Thanks for you help.
Old 27th October 2015
Here for the gear

Anyone know how many VST instruments be run through this thing before encountering issues? I primarily use VST instruments with several effects and some projects of mine have quite a few running. I have a 1212m PCI card that I've been using for many years now. PCI slots are becoming scarce and I know my next motherboard won't have any. I figured I would start my search now and test some interfaces before I upgrade my PC. I'm contemplating buying a motherboard with thunderbolt on it and getting the Clarett 8pre, but that is a big price jump compared to the 18i20.
Old 27th October 2015
Gear Head

As far as I know, VSTs are processed by your DAW, thus, your CPU, not by the audio interface. The more you use VSTs, the heavier is the load for the CPU.
Old 28th October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaowZ View Post
As far as I know, VSTs are processed by your DAW, thus, your CPU, not by the audio interface. The more you use VSTs, the heavier is the load for the CPU.
I was thinking the CPU was the main source for VSTs. I just wasn't sure if several tracks of them would cause any issue with an external interface. I've only ever owned the 1212m so I was under impression that the audio chip on the card was somehow assisting the CPU in processing. I think I've been using it for over 10 years now.

Thanks for the response PaowZ.
Old 28th October 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
I was under impression that the audio chip on the card was somehow assisting the CPU in processing.
This may be true for built-in effects where a DSP could indeed process audio data (like Motu interfaces), adding extra effect, but there's no "load balancing" between audio chip and CPU.
VSTs consume CPU through the DAW and (depending of your routing, of course) sends out stereo data towards your interface, so 2 channels to convert from digital to analog outputs. This is it not a big deal for whatever audio chip chinese may manufacture
Old 10th January 2016
Here for the gear

My Scarlett 18I20 won't connect to audio input under settings, it is bouncing back and forth under audio devices under settings, and wants to stick on Pro tools aggregate I/O, and you tube won't play. Focusrite software says "No Hardware connected". Everything works when I select internal speakers though. I am running a 2.3 ghz I7 Mac mini OS X 10.11.2 anyone ever have that happen? I can't seem to find the files associated with Pro Tools aggregate I/O, had it working for a second

Last edited by Scottmac1; 10th January 2016 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: Finding out more info
Old 10th January 2016
Here for the gear

Solved it was in Audio Midi settings , I deleted Pro tools aggregate I/O and turned up fader in mix control and kablow we have sound and Scarlett is working. Pro Audio tech support at Apple couldn't help me with that? Only took me 4 hours to figure it out

Last edited by Scottmac1; 10th January 2016 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Nut
For anyone wanting to know how to bring in a line level source at actual line level -
I did a loopback test and level matched the outgoing and incoming signals. I had to set the preamp gain knob on exactly 6. For those guys that prefer to tell time that is 1 o'clock.
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Head

How can i connect a compressor into scarlett 18i20?
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
How can i connect a compressor into scarlett 18i20?
just by reading the doc.. hope this helps.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...when-tracking-
📝 Reply