The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomthom View Post
Well, I hear that USB 3.0 can achieve lower latencies but that probably requires a USB 3.0 device too.
True, however, I'm not sure we can use a USB 2.0 device on a USB 3.0 port. I have both on my computer and I can't connect a 2.0 cable into a 3.0 slot. I wonder if they make a cable that allows USB 2.0 to work on USB 3.0.
Old 14th November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

18i20 problem when audio is active

Hi, i'm new to this forum and the 18i20 unit (received it today...) and i was wondering if somebody could help me...

Plugged it all in, installed everything, downloaded latest firmware/drivers and installed the Scarlett mix control (which to me looks hideously complex - could have been A LOT more user friendly in my opinion...)

The issue i am having is when i came to recording. Just recorded some distorted guitars and when the playhead of my DAW hits a waveform there is a constant weird crackling :S (when there is no waveform in the audio region it is silent but as soon as it gets to some audio the crackling kicks-in - very frustrating :( ...) This is happening on the two analogue channels that i tried (input 8 and 7 - SM57 via XLR) AND a digital channel (channel 10 which is the S/PDIF - that i had to find out from trial and error as it is not labelled as SPDIF but just input 10 - rather annoying) which seems very odd...

Thanks in advance.

Running a 2013 Mac with OSX 10.8.4 and Logic Pro X
Old 15th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodicmusic View Post
True, however, I'm not sure we can use a USB 2.0 device on a USB 3.0 port. I have both on my computer and I can't connect a 2.0 cable into a 3.0 slot. I wonder if they make a cable that allows USB 2.0 to work on USB 3.0.
Usb should be backwards compatible. I just built a new PC with both and the connector is the same

Sent from my SPH-D710BST
Old 15th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREMORS View Post
Usb should be backwards compatible. I just built a new PC with both and the connector is the same

Sent from my SPH-D710BST
I just built one and my 2.0 USB cord won't plug into my 3.0 plug. The 3.0 plug is smaller than the 2.0 plug.
Old 15th November 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodicmusic View Post
I just built one and my 2.0 USB cord won't plug into my 3.0 plug. The 3.0 plug is smaller than the 2.0 plug.
Are you talking A-type male plug (the end that connects to host/computer side)? If yes, there's something wrong with either the plug or the female jack.

There are several variations on the device side connectors (USB3 B male is 'taller', and USB3 mini B is 'flat' with a little notch), but the host side should be consistent, as long as it's standard size one (not mini-USB).
Old 18th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

My DAW PC tower also has both a plethora of USB 2.0 'A inputs' and a few USB 3.0 'A inputs' and they are exactly same because they both fit a proper USB 2.0 Male and are indeed BACKWARDS compatible.

The advantage of using the USB 3 port would not be speed because it will be at speed of high speed USB 2...the advantage would be **if** your USB 3 card is SEPERATE Board, meaning using it's OWN bus, then since the Scarlett 18i20 USB 2.0 happens to be USB Bandwidth Hungry, placing it on USB 3 as long as it has it's own bus/card and not shared with common motherboard along with all your USB 2 ports, would help prevent possible bottle neck if one had several other USB 2 devices going at same time as the 18i20.
Old 26th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

Saffire 56 vs scarlet 18i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
I am on a PC . I called Focusrite. They said the only way if I use multiple of them is to hookup one to the other via ADAT. But then I will be limited to 12 channels of 24/96k. But I want 16 channels ...

They said the PRO 56 + octopre via the 2 x ADAT is the way to go to get 16 channels. But that's much pricier than 2 x 18i20 .

I wish the driver could just handle two separate devices on the USB without having to hook them to each other via ADAT.

But I guess if I do that, it will look like 2 different interfaces to Reaper, and I won't be able to use all 16 channels at once...
Ok.....so let me see if I get this straight. Focusrite intended to dumb down the cheaper product on purpose to ensure sales of the slightly more expensive interface? Why not just use the same chip and require a lic lock? I sort of hate corp entities for bs like this. And I like the scarlet pre sound a little better then the saffire so I feel pinched. Thanks guys for saving me from. Post buy aggregation
Old 26th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Nobody dumbed down anything. They're 2 different products at 2 different price points with 2 different technologies (USB vs. Firewire).
Old 16th December 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by issofunky View Post
Ok.....so let me see if I get this straight. Focusrite intended to dumb down the cheaper product on purpose to ensure sales of the slightly more expensive interface?
Firewire has it's advantages over USB. Daisy chaining is one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issofunky View Post
And I like the scarlet pre sound a little better then the saffire
It's the same preamp. If anything the Saffire Pro 40 & 56 circuit has a tad less noise in my experience.
Old 20th December 2013
Gear Head

Hi nEVH5150

If you're still experiencing problems with audio using your 18i20, please contact us and we'll help!

Kind Regards
Old 26th December 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Focusrite View Post
To clarify, the Line inputs on Focusrite interfaces, both standard and combi, go through a small section of the preamp circuit. Due to the transparent nature of our preamps, however, this does not colour the signal.

Anyone experiencing issues should contact us here: Contact | Focusrite

Chris
Focusrite Support
same for inputs 5-8 on the 18i8?
Old 26th December 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Just got my 18i20 yesterday. I'd like to give my initial thoughts.

My first "ehh" moment was in regards to build quality. Yes, the red aluminium top of the case is nice, but the whole front faceplate is pretty cheap feeling plastic. Maybe I'm spoiled, but the last two interfaces I had were the M-Audio ProFire 610, and PreSonus 44VSL. Both were built like tanks with metal all around.

One of the worst things is the knobs though. For one, they are all wobbling and cheap feeling, especially the headphone pots, and main out knob. And the actually knobs they put on the main and headphone outs are terrible. They are little, a bit slippery, and the wobbly pots don't help matters. I already put a new larger aluminum knob on the Main out and it helps tremendously. The preamp knobs aren't as bad, are still cheap plastic, but the rubbery texture does help. I'm going to replace all the knobs with the type I put on the main, which are these. They fit perfectly, and will give the 18i20 a nice upgraded look...
15MM KNOB FOR 6MM FLATTED SHAFT | AllElectronics.com

The instrument ins on the front are also very wobbly and cheap feeling. Again, maybe I'm spoiled, but the 610 and 44VSL has very solid feeling line-ins on it. The mic inputs on the back side seem more solid for some reason. No complaints there.

In regards to sound, it sounds great as I expected it to. Focusrite makes a damn good working man's preamp. These don't disappoint. The metering is a nice touch, though I sort of prefer the way the Saffire Pro 40's metering looks, with the oval rings around each channel. When you're sitting a ways away from the 18i20, you see the channel activity, but it's hard to tell which channel it is. I have multiple mics plugged in in close proximity of each other, and I get activity on all of them when I'm playing acoustic guitar for example. But that's a particular situation in my setup. Overall, no points off for this, the lack of oval rings does makes for a slicker look.

All in all, I'm very happy with the unit, I just wish they'd have used a metal faceplate and better quality pots and knobs. Knobs are easily replaced, thankfully. Also, I personally use a Mixer for my front end, and I just feed the Main outs of the 18i20 to my mixer and never really touch the main or headphones on the 18i20. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would have much confidence in the headphone and main knobs wearing out over time and giving me problems.

At the end of the day, sound rules over all. In that department, it's fantastic.

I wasn't going to install the Scarlett plugins at first, then I decided why the hell not. I actually like the compressor a lot. The gate is nothing special, and nothing that doesn't come stock with any DAW. I actually prefer the gate in Logic Pro. The reverb would never be my first choice, but it's not bad. I could see me using it at some point. The EQ is also a decent utility EQ, and I can see that being used interchangeably with my stock Logic EQ. I actually like how there is no digital number readout showed along with knob movement. Nothing but knobs, and I sort of the like the analog gear illusion that brings with it. I can't help myself but get bogged down in numbers when they are presented to me. With this it's just a knob and my ears, the way it should be.

The 18i20 is most likely a keeper. Just gotta get those nasty knobs off.
Thanks for the heads up, I've been planning on buying this unit and I would have probably overlooked the knobs if I hadn't read this post but when I got a chance to look at one on a rack in the store it was the first thing I looked at and I agree. I've got the replacement knobs on the way and I haven't even purchased the 18i20 yet! Thanks again for the link to the part!
Old 27th December 2013
Here for the gear

I installed the Focusrite 18i20 free software bundle. Basstation, Loops, Mixer, etc. Only, in my Windows 8 I can't find any tiles or where to access the programs? Anyone using Windows 8 know how to find newly installed programs?

<<< 2 hours later >>>
So I figured out how to get the Plug-ins installed and activated. I also got the Mix control and the audio 2.0 USB drivers installed. So my remaining open question is how do I get the Novation Basstation to open? Where to I find it?

Thanks
Old 10th January 2014
Focusrite

Inputs 5-8 on the 18i8 have similar circuitry, again very transparent.

As for Bass Station, the process should be the same for this as it's a plug-in too. It may have got installed to another folder that your DAW is not looking at. Do you know folder the Scarlett plug-ins are installed to? Try installing the Bass Station to that folder too.

Chris
Focusrite
Old 10th January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I have a problem which is that when I have the unit connected in my desktop PC i have to turn on the 18i20 couple of times to get the usb connection working and unit recognized in Windows 7 64bit. Sometimes it works with the first time.

For double check I tried the unit with my macbook in bootcamp and the connection seemed to work every time i switched on the card, so the unit itself seems to be okay.

I have tried both usb 2 and usb 3 ports on my ASUS Z87-C mainboard. It's not a big deal but if someone knows how to address this I would be very happy. I'm running on newest mix control and firmware. It might be that I have done something wrong with my (computers) chipset drivers..

Many thanks.
Old 11th January 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilkkakyy View Post
I have a problem which is that when I have the unit connected in my desktop PC i have to turn on the 18i20 couple of times to get the usb connection working and unit recognized in Windows 7 64bit. Sometimes it works with the first time.

For double check I tried the unit with my macbook in bootcamp and the connection seemed to work every time i switched on the card, so the unit itself seems to be okay.

I have tried both usb 2 and usb 3 ports on my ASUS Z87-C mainboard. It's not a big deal but if someone knows how to address this I would be very happy. I'm running on newest mix control and firmware. It might be that I have done something wrong with my (computers) chipset drivers..

Many thanks.
I'm having the same problem on my Win7 32-bit Acer Aspire, on both USB2 and USB3 ports...
Old 11th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis View Post
I'm having the same problem on my Win7 32-bit Acer Aspire, on both USB2 and USB3 ports...
You may try taking a second look and make sure you have the correct 32 bit Win 7....I know it's the obvious but it may just be downloading it again even AND if you're running a lot of things needing usb drivers on WIN7, there's actually a limit of either 7 or close to that # where I have read people had from their previous audio interface, and peripherals added in past but do not use...may try looking at that.
Sounds like a driver/compatibility conflict happening somehow.
Old 13th January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
You may try taking a second look and make sure you have the correct 32 bit Win 7....I know it's the obvious but it may just be downloading it again even AND if you're running a lot of things needing usb drivers on WIN7, there's actually a limit of either 7 or close to that # where I have read people had from their previous audio interface, and peripherals added in past but do not use...may try looking at that.
Sounds like a driver/compatibility conflict happening somehow.
So... I did a bit of googling around, and it seems that Z87 chipset usb3-controller is somehow faulty at early series (or something?) and therefore it doesn't recognize the devices very well.

1. I tried updating the bios (which promised better support for usb devices)
-did not help
2. I updated usb drivers directly from Intel
-did not help
3. removed and installed 18i20 drivers and mixcontrol again
-did not help
4. I disabled the usb 3 functionality from bios which was mentioned somewhere
-did not help
5. I saw second hand VIA VT6212L usb 2.0 pci card near my home for 5 EUR and decided to give a try...
-So far so good, now I have turned the 18i20 couple of times on and off, and every time the windows finds it!

So for the laptop guy here I would suggest turning the usb 3 functionality off from the bios if that's possible.
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Head

Hi apotheosis & nilkkakyy

Although USB 3.0 is theoretically backwards compatible, we have seen users experience these problems, cured by a replacement USB 2.0 PCI card (as you've since found out) as opposed to driver updates.

If anyone is still having connectivity issues, please can you send us an email with some system details and version of Mix Control Software? In most cases, a replacement USB card or replacement cable can cure the problems of connectivity.

Contact | Focusrite

kind Regards
Old 27th January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear
I got my 18i20 at the weekend - Chose it because it most fulfilled my needs though obviously had a few concerns about some of the stories I had read on the internet about installation problems.

Installed fine and easily on windows 8.1.

I shut down and went out for a bit, and when I came back later I seemed totally unable to get a USB connection. While troubleshooting this I tried a second USB port - it worked fine, and then the same problem after shutdown. Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. Neither port would work now, though a third one did.

Then I tried a new cable - it was worked like a dream ever since. It seems odd behavior from a dodgy cable, but I can only assume the shipped cable was dodgy.

Anyway, within 10 minutes of this I had replaced a rather lacklustre soft-synth part in one of my older tracks with a lovely hand-tweaked line from my Microbrute.

I think this unit and I are going to get on like a dream. I am looking forward to being able to route different amounts of live gear into my laptop for live work without lugging a massive mixer, and on their own tracks. And reversing this and being able output multiple tracks from the DAW to mix OTB and use hardware processors.

So I second the above. Anyone having problems, try something as simple as replacing the cable.
Old 31st January 2014
Gear Head

Hi acidsaturation

Sorry you had a problem with your factory cable but I'm glad to learn that you quickly realised and remedied this. Enjoy using your 18i20.

Best Regards
Old 31st January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi acidsaturation

Sorry you had a problem with your factory cable but I'm glad to learn that you quickly realised and remedied this. Enjoy using your 18i20.

Best Regards
I replaced mine immediately with a high quality 10'/3 Meter one. Is there any reasonable logic in why on a rack mounted interface, such a short USB cable was supplied? Just not everyone has THAT short of distance as far as ergonomics go, from computer and rack gear. To me, it would be like only including a very short power cable.
Love the 18i20 and followed suit in obtaining longer USB of higher quality from a fellow forum member.
Thanks.
Old 19th April 2015
Gear Guru

any follow up feedback on this unit guys..??

hows the midi implementation, hows it work under Mavericks etc..??

any issues..??
Old 17th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
That guy must be an idiot.

You can use this with any DAW you want, and out of the box you can record 8 channels.

Trust the devs, not random youtube guy.
+1 for the random youtube guy. He has helped me countless times.
Old 18th June 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Scarlett 18i8

I apologize if this is the wrong thread for this post, but given the amount of discussion on Focusrite DI (and related) hardware, I thought it might be a good place to start. Fingers crossed.

To begin, I am primarily a musician and have been playing (mostly) acoustic and electric guitars, bass guitars, keyboards, blues harp, a little drumming / percussion and a few other useless instruments since the mid 60s. While I'm obviously old, I'm REALLY trying to learn a few new tricks ... mainly the DAW half of what constitutes 'music' production these days. Oh ... and I also have a degree in Computer Science.

My current list of hardware includes;

Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
ART Tube MP Studio Preamps (x2)
JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors (x2)
JBL LSR310 Studio Subwoofer
Roland GR-33 Guitar Synthesizer
Custom Build (by me), very high-end computer running Avid Pro Tools 10.3.5
All the right cables to connect everything together, either custom made or (mostly) from Monoprice
Shure SM57 (x2) - for mic'ing amps
Custom Built Mics for Blues Harp (more than 4)
Another dynamic mic (can't remember the name) - for mic'ing amps

To being, everything actually works and I'm able to record the analog outputs of various guitars, blues harp, keyboards, etc., and I'm finally getting the hang of Pro Tools, although I would LOVE to redesign the user interface, which is something it is in dire need of. Another subject for another day.

While I can record all the analog inputs (from guitars, mics, etc.), I appear to be missing something when it comes to MIDI. Here's the setup;

I have a Godin ACS-SA nylon string guitar that has two outputs; standard 1/4" analog jack and Roland 13-pin output (piezo pickups). The 13-pin cable connects to the Roland GR-33 and it (the GR-33) has several outputs. The processed analog (synth) output feeds one Fender amp, another processed output feeds one of the ART Tube preamps, and the raw (unprocessed) 'acoustic' side (1/4" analog) feeds another Fender amp and the another ART Tube preamp. There is also a pedal board in the loop with Boomerang Looper + SIdecar and a few other goofy pedals.

In addition to the above, there is also a pair of MIDI In/Out jacks on the GR-33, which are connected (via MIDI cables) to the back of the Scarlett 18i8. The MIDI Out from the GR-33 goes to the MIDI In on the 18i8 and the MIDI In on the GR-33 goes to the MIDI Out on the 18i8.

In Pro Tools, there is a 'MIDI Studio Setup' function that allows you to select MIDI instruments by brand and model. There is no Roland GR-33, but there is a GR-30, and from what I've read, it's close enough.

I can create a MIDI track, arm it and when I start recording and start playing the Godin guitar, I see horizontal bars in the track. When I play, they appear. When I stop playing, they stop appearing. I also see the LED level indicators in the user interface bobbing up and down (corresponding to what I'm playing) and I can HEAR what I'm playing through headphones plugged into the 18i8.

THE problem is; Pro Tools appears to be recording, but when I play it back, there's NO AUDIO. I can save the track ('Bounce' it to a hard drive) as a WAV file, but when I play it back via VLC or any other media player, there's no audio. Just dead air.

I could REALLY use some help on this one. While I know computers inside and out and am obviously a long time musician, all this DAW and MIDI (in particular) stuff is brand new to me ... or rather, the interfacing, configuration and recording of it is brand new. I can make virtually (no pun intended) any sound I want with the GR-33, and apparently I can record SOMETHING ... but i CAN'T HEAR what I recorded.

Again, I apologize if this post is in the wrong place. If it is, maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Or, best case scenario, maybe someone has come across this issue before? While the concepts are not beyond me, I think the implementation and getting it to actually WORK might be.

HELP! ... and thanks in advance for any and all responses.

MUCH Older Fart (AL)
Lives for gear

I did not read anywhere in your post about the required download for your Scarlett Interface that's a software mixer for it called "Scarlett Mix Control" and it will be on Focusrite's web site along with the downloads available for your Scarlett 18i8.
I use Reaper DAW but it still remains the same that in the event you may have made this error...MIDI is not audio. You would need to set-up and arm a track for audio and say, a sister track' that's MIDI and have the midi channel set-up in Global Settings on your hardware instrument as well as record/playback midi channel set-up in Scarlett Mix Control as well as your DAW.
Midi tracks for hardware instruments are often used for further automation of parameters and editing but as you probably know, you can also record just audio and then play back an already recorded audio track while having your next track armed for record and record live while other audio track is playing back and so on.
Only the tip of a very large iceberg here but since I did not read anywhere if you may be setting up Scarlett Mix Control, it might be worth looking into.
Others that are way more experienced should chime in here and help you further. Still learning here as well so do not claim to have all the answers whatsoever...just thought the above was worth mentioning in event you still had some setting up to do with your Scarlett Interface.
Here for the gear

Scarlett 18i8

Quote:
I did not read anywhere in your post about the required download for your Scarlett Interface that's a software mixer for it called "Scarlett Mix Control" and it will be on Focusrite's web site along with the downloads available for your Scarlett 18i8.
Thank you for your response. Yes, 'Scarlett Mix Control' is installed, and I HAVE to run it before running Pro Tools. Pro Tools simply won't load without a software/driver interface to the hardware (the Scarlett 18i8 DI).

Quote:
I use Reaper DAW but it still remains the same that in the event you may have made this error...MIDI is not audio. You would need to set-up and arm a track for audio and say, a sister track' that's MIDI and have the midi channel set-up in Global Settings on your hardware instrument as well as record/playback midi channel set-up in Scarlett Mix Control as well as your DAW.
Yes, I am aware that MIDI is data and not (strictly speaking) 'audio.' I think part of my problem is that I can't find ANY documentation on which 'channels' and/or 'bus' assignments are used for the MIDI ports in the 18i8. There's nothing in the manual for the 18i8 on that subject, although (me) knowing little to nothing about MIDI certainly doesn't help. There isn't anything in the 'Scarlett Mix Control' software that allow for 'mapping' channels or bus addressing. It's basically (or appears to be) just a mixer ... unless I'm missing something. The MIDI 'hardware' configuration is in Pro Tools, which again, the GR-33 guitar synth isn't listed. The closest thing to it is the GR-30, although from what I've read, it's close enough. The built-in patches in the pedal are completely different, but I don't think that really matters.

As far as setting up and arming MIDI tracks, that appears to work ... but this is another aspect of all this I'm completely unfamiliar with. A few things I've read (about Pro Tools and MIDI) revolve around creating a MIDI track AND an 'Instrument' track for the MIDI 'audio' to be recorded into and played back from. Doing THAT though requires knowing WHICH MIDI channel/bus assignments to use, which I can find NOTHING about (not listed in any of the Scarlett 18i8 documentation). I suspect I'm just missing some fundamental piece of information or concept that most folks who do all this already know (i.e. how to set MIDI properly in the DAW software).

When it comes to recording audio (mostly guitar, bass, harmonica and keyboards), at least up until a few months ago, my entire exposure has been strictly analog; analog preamps, microphones, analog mixers, analog tape decks, etc. All my guitar amps are tube amps, and my blues harp amp is about the same age as I am (I'm in my 60s). So, my experience, such as it is, with DAW is extremely limited. I often wonder if its been just pure blind luck that I've gotten ANYTHING to work.

I have done a lot of reading on the subject though and my youngest son has been guiding me through most of my learning curve with Pro Tools. He also made nearly all of my hardware recommendations, although he uses primarily Presonus hardware (Firewire interfaces). He hasn't been available though for well over a week now. He does professional studio/home recording systems installations/setups and has a LOT of experience with Pro Tools.

He's done a number of audio/video projects for bands (MTV kinds of things) and for UCSD, and I'm sure he's forgotten more than I'll ever know on these subjects. I think in many instances (when I'm talking to him), he has to stop and think hard about how and what he does (the whole 'workflow' process), simply because he goes into 'autopilot' and DOESN'T have to think about it.

Quote:
Midi tracks for hardware instruments are often used for further automation of parameters and editing but as you probably know, you can also record just audio and then play back an already recorded audio track while having your next track armed for record and record live while other audio track is playing back and so on.
Yes, I understand the (mostly from an analog perspective) 'multi-tracking' and at least that part of the workflow process. I can record the analog 'post processed' (synth) output from the GR-33 guitar synthesizer, as well as the unprocessed (raw/analog) guitar sound, listen to it (via headphones) while I'm playing AND recording, and then play back the recorded track(s), add another synth or non-synth guitar track, keyboard or harmonic track, all while listening to what's already been recorded while I play along. It's like jamming with myself, which is what I've been trying to do digitally all along.

I guess what I'm currently trying to figure out is how to use the GR-33 (if it's even possible) as a 'MIDI Controller' ... although I'm not even sure what THAT means. Since I don't have a set of drums, my intent is to (at some point) get a drum synth plugin and somehow add 'digital' drum tracks into the mix. Using the GR-33, I can turn my Godin guitar into a VERY convincing bass guitar (acoustic OR electric), but I'm still missing the percussion side of all this.

Quote:
Only the tip of a very large iceberg here but since I did not read anywhere if you may be setting up Scarlett Mix Control, it might be worth looking into. Others that are way more experienced should chime in here and help you further. Still learning here as well so do not claim to have all the answers whatsoever...just thought the above was worth mentioning in event you still had some setting up to do with your Scarlett Interface.
Understood completely, although I'm sure your knowledge and experience in these areas are WAY beyond mine. I really appreciate your feedback, and anyone else's for that matter.

Thanks again.

AL
Lives for gear

Well, at least you have a son or someone in which you can get really great and professional help. I am flying solo as have always played keyboards in cover bands all throughout my long military career, until a period of time that just was no longer feasible, now am retired/disabled military veteran, learning to record through tutorials purchased at: Groove3.com - Tutorial Videos for Producers, Engineers and Musicians

I am using Reaper and thus tutorials for Reaper but that link should take you to their Pro Tools tutorials that they have. You also should note that Pro Tools is probably the most complicated to wrap head around and also progressively expensive with further updates down the road.

Yes, if you look in the online download from Focusrite for your interface, there's some instructions on routing audio and setting-up monitoring, mixes, etc., all within it. It's not exactly the most comprehensive set of instructions on Scarlett Mix Control and you can find some visual feedback tutorials on You Tube easily.

The midi aspect will be handled by your DAW of choice and it will be from within your DAW where you set-up midi channel assignments, routings, midi tracks, etc., with the Scarlett interface acting as a "MIDI Break-out Device" that your DAW will use.

Sorry I can be of little help, but thought you should know about the rather great tutorials on your DAW of Pro Tools and again, I plead that I am still learning as well.
The Scarlett Mix Control is not exactly the most intuitive thing but see it's value for various routing of your audio and monitoring. Again, the key to your midi issues will be found in your DAW.
Old 20th June 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Well, at least you have a son or someone in which you can get really great and professional help. I am flying solo as have always played keyboards in cover bands all throughout my long military career, until a period of time that just was no longer feasible, now am retired/disabled military veteran, learning to record through tutorials purchased at: Groove3.com - Tutorial Videos for Producers, Engineers and Musicians
Thank you for your service! You have no idea how grateful I (as are most TRUE Americans) am for your sacrifice. I too am a Veteran (Vietnam), and retired last year to pursue other more pleasant/pleasurable pursuits.

Thanks too for the link to 'Groove' that you provided. I will definitely check that out. I still haven't heard from my son (I think he's back in the UK right now), so I ordered a couple of books on Amazon; one titled 'Practical Recording Techniques: The Step-by-Step Approach to Professional Audio Recording' (what a mouthful!) and the other book is 'Pro Tools 10 Power!: The Comprehensive Guide.' Hopefully they'll shed some light on BOTH subjects. I obviously need all the help I can get!

Quote:
I am using Reaper and thus tutorials for Reaper but that link should take you to their Pro Tools tutorials that they have. You also should note that Pro Tools is probably the most complicated to wrap head around and also progressively expensive with further updates down the road.
I agree; Pro Tools is just about THE most 'user hostile' and VERY steep learning curve software I've had the displeasure of using. It's horrible to use and is WAY over-priced. My son gave me Pro Tools 10 (he's using whatever the latest version is), so it didn't cost me anything, although the upgrades are outrageously expensive!

Since you're obviously impressed with 'Reaper,' as are MANY folks (I just finished reading several reviews on it), I've decided to jump ship (from Pro Tools) and at least give 'Reaper' a shot. Maybe I'll make better progress with it than I have with Pro Tools.

Quote:
Yes, if you look in the online download from Focusrite for your interface, there's some instructions on routing audio and setting-up monitoring, mixes, etc., all within it. It's not exactly the most comprehensive set of instructions on Scarlett Mix Control and you can find some visual feedback tutorials on You Tube easily.
I've been through ALL their documentation several times, and I just can't find anything that relates to what I'm trying to do, or find a solution (or even mention of) the issue I'm having with Pro Tools (no sound from MIDI recordings).

I know for a fact that I CAN record MIDI tracks. I can even edit them with the 'MIDI Editor' --- which displays a music 'score' with treble clef, measures, musical notes ... the whole shebang. I just can't HEAR anything when I play back those tracks OR when I play MIDI tracks saved to WAV files.

Quote:
The midi aspect will be handled by your DAW of choice and it will be from within your DAW where you set-up midi channel assignments, routings, midi tracks, etc., with the Scarlett interface acting as a "MIDI Break-out Device" that your DAW will use.
Yeah ... that's where the mystery lies in all this for me. That's what I CAN'T find --- specific information on channel/routing assignments for MIDI instruments.

Quote:
Sorry I can be of little help, but thought you should know about the rather great tutorials on your DAW of Pro Tools and again, I plead that I am still learning as well.

The Scarlett Mix Control is not exactly the most intuitive thing but see it's value for various routing of your audio and monitoring. Again, the key to your midi issues will be found in your DAW.
Not to worry. I'll give Reaper a try and will see where that takes me (shortly). I have the entire weekend to figure it out, with NOTHING else planned (at least at the moment). I'm sure too that by Happy Hour this afternoon, my WAY better half (Suzy) will be making me a few of her best martinis, to dull the pain. She used to be a bartender, and if you don't think that's a VERY handy set of skills for 'a better half' to possess, you're missing out ... BIG time!

Have a great weekend and MANY thanks (again) for all your help.

AL
Old 20th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

@ OlderFart -

Thanks for your service as well. I am a very visual thinker and learner, so with highly technical things, I do not fair so well by only reading books or technical manuals for a DAW, but for any hardware synth, I do okay with that.
Because of so many years in military, and basically playing when I could in cover bands over the years from early 80's to not to long ago, I REALLY have not HAD to learn much on the intense side about even MIDI...so I try to not get too stressed over this all because after all, I chose to stock a good home studio (all hardware synth-based), and I do this to help with PTSD and Anxiety...and there's often times that even Reaper makes me want to tear my eyes out...but...the official realer forum has outstanding and helpful people there (again, unlike Pro Tools), and Reaper is pretty powerful, and it has many tutorials on YT as well as on the Groove3 site shared with you.

Good luck to you and above all, enjoy the process! (no "better half", so no personal bartender...I am envious...LOL)
📝 Reply