The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear

I just got my 18i20 delivered today and I can hardly say it's been a smooth journey as i've had it for about 2 hours now and I haven't managed to record a thing...

I got it to replace a cheap UX1 since I wanted the ability to record at home as well now. Initially everything was running fine without even opening up the MixControl software, but that was just with playing a video on Youtube and seeing if I got any sound.

However, when I try and load a Pro Tools session, since the Playback etc will have changed, everytime I start a new session I get a message saying that the "ASIO device properties have been changed by the device control." However, when Pro Tools restarts, I get another message saying that the interface can't be initialised so I need to choose another...

So as you would I tried the first Driver that was related to Focusrite which was the 'Focusrite ASIO'...but I still get the same error when I choose this. Being prompted to choose another one. So, I tried the 'Focusrite USB 2.0 Driver' and the same thing is happening...

I've downloaded MixControl and all the drivers and everything seemed to be working fine apart from when I try and boot up a session.

Not exactly chuffed right now since I've made no progress since I've got it and I've been contemplating whether to buy it for months.

Any help would be beneficial.

UPDATE: I'm now getting a pop-up message saying that "Pro Tools is unable to reacquire the hardware because it is in use by another application..."
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear

I dont use Pro Tools so my knowledge will be limited. I dont use it as I find that out of a all the DAWs its the most prone to errors like these and is the most unstable. Anyways, thats another point.

What version of ProTools are you on?

If it is 8 or lower then AFAIK, you must use ProTools with an m-audio or Avid hardware. No other hardware will do. If it is 9 or above then as long as it is the native (ie, non HD) version then you should be ok.

Im not sure if PR9 LE has similar limitations with hardware as it is usually bundles with maudio/avid hardware AFAIK.

once you have the proper drives installed, try re-connecting the interface, restarting your computer and loading up Protools again. If it opens, check the settings for your currently selected device. If you are on OSX or windows, then make sure that the default System Sounds (Sound on Win7) menus have the 18i20 selected as the main device.

Can you try with a different DAW?
Or maybe try with the "ASIO FOR ALL" driver...

Its things like this that put me off ProTools a long time ago and Ive honestly never looked back....
Best of luck!
Old 14th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I cleaned my hands and brain of Pro Tools because if it's not one thing, then it's some damn component like even a motherboard of your PC that AVID will decide since it has never been "officially tested with PT....blah, blah..."....Hello Reaper and never looked back!!
Reaper was effortless to sync things up and that might be a way for you to test it is download the free trial of the FULL VERSION, by the way, and will wager it's yet another AVID proprietary consumerism and marketing to drain a person's wallet and sanity.
After all, when AVID dropped M-Audio in new "restructuring", they made a Corporate Statement Release that "....AVID is now dropping all prosumer line of products...", sorry, kind of a thorn in my side from an Avid Fast Track C600 AI situation with known hardware problems and was still under warranty and Avid refused to issue an RMA for it...and over at Reaper Forums, there's more and more new-ex-Pro Tools-people that have jumped ship. Reaper has features Avid is still nickel and diming their customers in each year's demand for cash! HA!
Old 14th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Wisdom,

Focusrite's support is very helpful if you contact them.

But you may also get help from here, and it would help us if you provide more details about your system.
Old 15th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Wisdom,

Focusrite's support is very helpful if you contact them.

But you may also get help from here, and it would help us if you provide more details about your system.
Sorry forgetting to mention, but the system I'm running is PT10 on Win7 64-bit.

I managed to get it working to a certain extent...but when I choose an input during the session I only get the option of two inputs/mics. Since its an 8 channel interface, surely I don't need to setup the I/O manually?
Old 15th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post
I dont use Pro Tools so my knowledge will be limited. I dont use it as I find that out of a all the DAWs its the most prone to errors like these and is the most unstable. Anyways, thats another point.

What version of ProTools are you on?

If it is 8 or lower then AFAIK, you must use ProTools with an m-audio or Avid hardware. No other hardware will do. If it is 9 or above then as long as it is the native (ie, non HD) version then you should be ok.

Im not sure if PR9 LE has similar limitations with hardware as it is usually bundles with maudio/avid hardware AFAIK.

once you have the proper drives installed, try re-connecting the interface, restarting your computer and loading up Protools again. If it opens, check the settings for your currently selected device. If you are on OSX or windows, then make sure that the default System Sounds (Sound on Win7) menus have the 18i20 selected as the main device.

Can you try with a different DAW?
Or maybe try with the "ASIO FOR ALL" driver...

Its things like this that put me off ProTools a long time ago and Ive honestly never looked back....
Best of luck!
I couldn't agree more really. I got Pro Tools for at home since its what I've learned on from the start and is seen as industry standard. But nowadays I can't say I'd hesitate to change from Pro Tools. Ableton's another DAW I use quite a bit and the creative workflow is on another level compared to PT IMO. But for tracking, I do prefer to use Pro Tools...
Old 19th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Hey guys. I finally got my 18i20 a couple days ago and so far I'm pretty happy with it. It's playing nicely with Pro Tools 10 and 11 and I haven't had any troubles getting it to do what I want.

One thing that I have noticed is that the gain knobs for the inputs on the back (3-8) start scratching past 2 o'clock or so. Has anyone else experienced that?

Also, I've heard a couple times from Focusrite that using the the line inputs with the gain knob at 12 o'clock is as close to unity as possible, but my tests have shown otherwise.
I sent a sine tone at -20db out of an analog output and back into a line in. I had to turn the gain to about 2 o'clock to get it to the same level in Pro Tools.
Has anyone else tested this?

Mike
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C View Post
Hey guys. I finally got my 18i20 a couple days ago and so far I'm pretty happy with it. It's playing nicely with Pro Tools 10 and 11 and I haven't had any troubles getting it to do what I want.

One thing that I have noticed is that the gain knobs for the inputs on the back (3-8) start scratching past 2 o'clock or so. Has anyone else experienced that?

Also, I've heard a couple times from Focusrite that using the the line inputs with the gain knob at 12 o'clock is as close to unity as possible, but my tests have shown otherwise.
I sent a sine tone at -20db out of an analog output and back into a line in. I had to turn the gain to about 2 o'clock to get it to the same level in Pro Tools.
Has anyone else tested this?

Mike
Quick question...with Pro Tools 10, are you finding problems using the Focusrite ASIO driver? When I select that option the buffer sample option disappears. The only driver that's worked for me ("worked" as in giving me the ability to use 2 of the 8 mic pres...) is the Focusrite 2.0 USB driver.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
Quick question...with Pro Tools 10, are you finding problems using the Focusrite ASIO driver? When I select that option the buffer sample option disappears. The only driver that's worked for me ("worked" as in giving me the ability to use 2 of the 8 mic pres...) is the Focusrite 2.0 USB driver.
I should have mentioned that i'm using a mac, so my situation is different. I didn't actually install any drivers, just the MixControl software. Haven't had any driver related issues yet.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C View Post
I should have mentioned that i'm using a mac, so my situation is different. I didn't actually install any drivers, just the MixControl software. Haven't had any driver related issues yet.
I see, no worries...

In regards to your first post, I've just noticed while mixing that when I put the monitor volume above 2 o'clock, there's a lot of hiss/white noise coming from my speakers. I don't know if that's similar to what's happening to you, but it's definitely a problem that's only occured since I got the Scarlett.
Gear Nut

Quote:
I see, no worries...

In regards to your first post, I've just noticed while mixing that when I put the monitor volume above 2 o'clock, there's a lot of hiss/white noise coming from my speakers. I don't know if that's similar to what's happening to you, but it's definitely a problem that's only occured since I got the Scarlett.
I don't get any real noticable noise from my monitors. It's the preamps with the scratchy pots that's the problem.
Old 19th August 2013
Focusrite

These scratchy pots don't sound to be normal. They are 'self cleaning' so you could try running them through their full range but if you're still having issues please contact us here so that we can look into it: Contact | Focusrite

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 20th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see, no worries...

I have my Monitor volume on 10 all the time feeding into a stereo channel on my mixer, and I get no noise at all. 2 o'clock noise definitely isn't normal.
Old 6th September 2013
Here for the gear

Good Morning:
I would like to share my experience with 18i20 ...
I bought it to record drums. I hear it on and connect to a microphone (condenser and dynamic) the preamp signal interfere with the other channels. strange. this is more evident when the level reaches audio clip. interference in the other channels is approx-55db and it is not software problem. I tried to record two channels .. at first I did not connect any device (no cable) in the second plug my microphone neumann ... the recorded signal on channel 2 was good but on channel 1 with nothing connected microphone was heard on channel 2 with distortion and a much lower volume than channel 2, the interference increased as the volume of the pre. I tried the other channels and I see that still the same problem .. Tried different cables and microphones was the same.
I would like others to give their opinon about it or if it's just a problem of my interface. and for people who are interested in buying scarlett try before you buy.
Old 6th September 2013
Focusrite

This sounds unusual. Please contact our support team so we can help look into this for you and resolve it: Contact | Focusrite

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

So been thinking of getting this unit for few reasons.. I just wish though it had 2 Adat pots for (16ch) like the Profire 2626

I plan to use this only for mobile work..and with my iPad mini sometimes.
My main interface in the studio is SSL Alpha Link. So it would be nice to hook that to the 18i20 on bigger jobs.
But I will only gain 8 more ch's. So the 2626 was a thought for mobile to get 16ch of SSL but then it's FireWire so laptop would have to get a FireWire card.. And then it's a no go on iPad.

Next thought was an RME express card for laptop.. I use a RME digiface connected to the SSL in studio to get to Reaper.
So I could get a express card for laptop then I'd have all 24ch's for mobile but that card cost more then the 18i20 and again if I went the RME card route can't use on iPad on smaller gigs.

So back to thinking 18i2o again..I did think about presonus 1818 but not having the first 2ch being able to do line level deal breaker.

I sure others have gone through this type of crazy processing before making the decision.

I'm wondering how the timing is between the SSL and 18i20 converters.. I don't like multi mic drums across 2 different converters if the timing is off then its a phase issue.

Also since the 18i20 isn't on d-subs using 1/4 insert cables will be easier for live FOH with Waves live rack.. But nervous about those gigs with USB latency when using inserts along with other channels that aren't being processed..

anyone see any problems I haven't thought of?
Seems most if you like the unit for sound..curious to see how it sounds next to SSL.
Old 25th September 2013
Gear Addict
In looking to purchase this interface.
Currently running the fast track ultra by maudio. Has anyone experienced any sort of delay when recording drums?!
When u try to record I always hear a split second delay through my headphones etc. Just wondering if this unit gives any sort of issues and if the USB vs FireWire is ok
Old 25th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CISUM View Post
In looking to purchase this interface.
Currently running the fast track ultra by maudio. Has anyone experienced any sort of delay when recording drums?!
When u try to record I always hear a split second delay through my headphones etc. Just wondering if this unit gives any sort of issues and if the USB vs FireWire is ok
Haven't bought mine yet.. Waiting to hear back on a price.
You are dealing with latency sounds like.
What's your computers buffer set to?
Old 25th September 2013
Gear Addict
Has anyone experienced any issues with this unit since it's usb and not FireWire?!

In the last when I was recording with an Maudio fast track ultra, when I hit the drums during recording it always felt that there was a very small delay.
Does this audio interface give any issues like that!?!
Old 25th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CISUM View Post
Has anyone experienced any issues with this unit since it's usb and not FireWire?!

In the last when I was recording with an Maudio fast track ultra, when I hit the drums during recording it always felt that there was a very small delay.
Does this audio interface give any issues like that!?!
I just gave you an answer.. did you look at your buffer size?
Old 25th September 2013
Gear Addict
Sorry man. Mom using the gearslutz iphone app and it originally said it didn't post so I went back and posted. My bad man.
I'll have to check on the size.
Old 26th September 2013
Here for the gear

I also was a bit hesitant at first cause of the usb connection, but it's been working great so far, no latency issues here. I've had a few BSOD's and automatic reboots of my pc (using Vista) when turning off the audio interface though, anyone noticed anything similar? It doesn't happen often, but i'm wondering if there's some software/driver conflict or something? Still not really an issue for me, since i only use it at my home studio.
Old 26th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_oi View Post
I also was a bit hesitant at first cause of the usb connection, but it's been working great so far, no latency issues here. I've had a few BSOD's and automatic reboots of my pc (using Vista) when turning off the audio interface though, anyone noticed anything similar? It doesn't happen often, but i'm wondering if there's some software/driver conflict or something? Still not really an issue for me, since i only use it at my home studio.
VISTA simply *really* really* sucks and probably next to WIN 2000, right up there with worse O.S. they ever made--especially so for trying to do anything audio.
You would fair better either going back to XP (there's quite a few people that still use XP for it's stability and rather audio friendly), or consider upgrading to WIN 7 64 bit, Home or Professional.
Am not a gambling person but if I were, the jackpot would be totally related to Vista. FYI
Old 17th October 2013 | Show parent
w2s
Here for the gear

Crosstalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by readwrite View Post
Good Morning:
I would like to share my experience with 18i20 ...
I bought it to record drums. I hear it on and connect to a microphone (condenser and dynamic) the preamp signal interfere with the other channels. strange. this is more evident when the level reaches audio clip. interference in the other channels is approx-55db and it is not software problem. I tried to record two channels .. at first I did not connect any device (no cable) in the second plug my microphone neumann ... the recorded signal on channel 2 was good but on channel 1 with nothing connected microphone was heard on channel 2 with distortion and a much lower volume than channel 2, the interference increased as the volume of the pre. I tried the other channels and I see that still the same problem .. Tried different cables and microphones was the same.
I would like others to give their opinon about it or if it's just a problem of my interface. and for people who are interested in buying scarlett try before you buy.
Yes! I have been loving this device a lot, and it has been reliable, sounds good, and records all channels flawlessly on a tiny acer netbook running Vegas 9 (Note: newer versions of Vegas than 9 are more CPU intensive and it fails).

I record 8 tracks for the duration of a gig, whether there's stuff plugged into them or not. If a track has nothing on it, I delete it when I get home. But it's not always easy to tell whether a track is empty.

If we are playing good and loud (still not overloading any channels!), the empty plug tracks still get some signal on them from some of the other jacks.

Maybe there's no guarantee what it'll do when nothing at all is plugged in, but it's frustrating... I turn up the tracks, and there's little difference between the very quiet piano track and the empty track 8 that is getting some bleed from track 7 (or whatever).

The recordings are good and I haven't noticed crosstalk, but I haven't done a lot of high-level mixing yet; I've just used these live recordings and rehearsal recordings for our own reference, and they have excelled at that.

readwrite, Please let us know what comes of your problem.

Thanks!
Old 7th November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

18i20 click/pop/rattle???

Brand new Scarlett 18i20 running through Garageband/Macbook Pro. I've tried individually running a vocal mic with phantom power on, and then my bass. In both cases, monitoring is clear as day either while recording or not recording. As soon as I play back the recorded track, there's a clicking/rattling/popping noise that seems to be echoing. I've tried running through both front inputs (1 and 2) and experience the same problem. I've tried running through Garageband 6.0.5 and the updated Garageband 10. Same problem with both applications. Please Help!
Old 7th November 2013
Lives for gear

I'm getting ready to sell my barely used 18i20. It still has the plastic on the meters and not one scratch on the unit. I'm going to separate Converters and Mic Pre. I will also be throwing in a brand new Korg NanoKontrol 2 that has never been open for free. PM me if interested.
Old 8th November 2013 | Show parent
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fitz View Post
Brand new Scarlett 18i20 running through Garageband/Macbook Pro. I've tried individually running a vocal mic with phantom power on, and then my bass. In both cases, monitoring is clear as day either while recording or not recording. As soon as I play back the recorded track, there's a clicking/rattling/popping noise that seems to be echoing. I've tried running through both front inputs (1 and 2) and experience the same problem. I've tried running through Garageband 6.0.5 and the updated Garageband 10. Same problem with both applications. Please Help!
Please contact us here and we'll help look into this for you:
Contact | Focusrite

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 8th November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I'm thinking of getting my hands on one of these but wanted to know if anyone has any experience using one (one way or the other) with Windows 8?

Side-question, is there any benefit to using this device on a USB 3.0 port?
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomthom View Post
I'm thinking of getting my hands on one of these but wanted to know if anyone has any experience using one (one way or the other) with Windows 8?

Side-question, is there any benefit to using this device on a USB 3.0 port?
I am using mine with windows 8.1 with no problems. Not sure if you would get any benefit using a USB 3.0 port. I'm actually selling mine soon only a few months old.
Old 8th November 2013
Here for the gear

Well, I hear that USB 3.0 can achieve lower latencies but that probably requires a USB 3.0 device too.
📝 Reply