The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need to know these things before i spend 500$ on Cubase 6 or 7!
Old 11th March 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 

I need to know these things before i spend 500$ on Cubase 6 or 7!

Okay, these are the things i am looking for answers on before i make such a huge investment.

1. Score editor, can i control it with my keyboard like sibelius or guitar pro or do i have to do everything with my mouse? Not completely sure but i think this is the way its done it pro tools (with a mouse) and i need to do it with a keyboard.

2. REALLY important, i cant find a demo to test this but i thought i read that i can replace the score editor template with guitar tabulature. this is amazing and is almost worth me buying the daw alone lol.

3. Does cubase 7 crash as much as people have been saying?

Please help
Old 11th March 2013
  #2
Gear Head
 
redrobin62's Avatar
 

I love Cubase to death. Hell, I've been using it for over 15 years. I've stuck with it because of it's features. But temperamental? Oy! Cubase is the worse. Anything can crash it. If you look at it the wrong way it'll crash. I'm currently using 5.1. It's relatively stable but an incorrectly placed VSTi or overloaded RAM can crash it. A slight power fluctuation can crash it. I'd never take it out onstage for a gig. I'd be too nervous. That said, one would hope the 6 & 7 iterations would be more stable. I guess not.
Old 11th March 2013
  #3
Gear Addict
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
 

Cubase is way temperamental.. that is just plain true. but the real hard truth is: Sonar, Ableton, and PT crash just as much.

All this, "big corporate software," has a ton of bugs, and a lot of the, "small tiny shops," also have a ton of bugs.

If you need the features in Cubase.. You are kinda stuck having to buy it, as there is really, "no replacement," for every single feature in Cubase.

Sonar is a close 2nd, but boy is that trouble...

Last edited by Wolf LeProducer; 11th March 2013 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: So that was the summer, the green grass, the red wine, and her yearning finger on the chocalate. I was in the army then, and
Old 11th March 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Beyersound's Avatar
Are the horror stories here coming from Mac guys? Done lots of work on C5 and now C6 on PC, stable, stable, stable. Never had a crash of any kind with C6. I have mixed tons of tracks with tons of plugins, outboard hardware, and high crazy latencies through hardware plugins. Just plain solid DAW all the way. Don't have the answer to your Score Editor question.
Old 11th March 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

I think you can assign the keyboard to do transport and such, maybe more, it was years since I did this. If this is what you meant?

Edit: Btw, when you say keyboard, do you mean the computer keyboard? Like shortcuts? I thought you meant a midi keyboard, maybe you didnt
Old 11th March 2013
  #6
Gear Nut
 

yep, this is bullish*.....

Cubase is stable - on mac or pc if your system is setup right - first off this means not using ANY cracked software
Old 11th March 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Comport View Post
yep, this is bullish*.....

Cubase is stable - on mac or pc if your system is setup right - first off this means not using ANY cracked software
Well, I can't speak for Mac, but I'd agree again on the PC front. Been using Cubase since version 3 on two different PCs running Windows XP and Win 7 (32 and 64 bit) and it's been solid as a rock. That's as far as Cubase 6 anyway - haven't tried 7 yet.

I don't use much in the way of third party plugs, but regularly Rewire to Reason (versions 3 through 6). That's also been with 4 different interfaces over the years (one Steinberg's own, one Alesis, one Yamaha and one Focusrite). More or less unbreakable pretty much all the time.
Old 11th March 2013
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Can't speak for 5 6 or 7, but I have been using 4LE for three years now, the only time it crashes is if I close the lid on my laptop while it is playing something (that puts the laptop into suspend mode) but that has a tendency to crash most programs.
Old 11th March 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Slikjmuzik's Avatar
 

Using Cubase 5.5.3 with not a single issue over here. I only use UAD plugins and Ozone5. All purchases, no cracks whatsoever. It's rock solid running on a quad core intel computer with 16gigs of ram built by Steve at Cryptic Globe. Couldn't be happier.
Old 11th March 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Hendyamps's Avatar
 

I have been using Cubase 4 with ZERO issues for years. I just picked up Cubase 7 and cannot record much of anything with it because with my Rosetta 800 (firewire card) all it does is crash even with all updated drivers. I do not know if you will experience the same issues but it has been catastrophic with me. Nevermind the fact that I personally hate the way Cubase 7 looks compared to 4-6.

I sure hope this issue with Cubase 7 is fixed soon because I wasted money on a program I can't use currently.
Old 11th March 2013
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
Cubase is way temperamental.. that is just plain true. but the real hard truth is: Sonar, Ableton, and PT crash just as much.

All this, "big corporate software," has a ton of bugs, and a lot of the, "small tiny shops," also have a ton of bugs.

If you need the features in Cubase.. You are kinda stuck having to buy it, as there is really, "no replacement," for every single feature in Cubase.

Sonar is a close 2nd, but boy is that trouble...
I would suggest that, while DAWs certainly differ in stability, performance, etc, a very frequent source of instability is plugins and their interaction with each other and/or the host.

I don't recall ever crashing Sonar when there weren't plugins involved. (Then again, it's a rare, rare day when there aren't at least a few plugs kicking around all but my simplest projects.)

And some plugins, in my experience (and on my rig) are so unstable as to be all but unusable. For instance, I've given up on Guitar Rig Pro a couple times over. It would be pretty cool for reamping if I could get it to work and keep working. But I've lost more than a bit of work from 'unexpected' crashes of GR4 which take down the whole DAW (sometimes before it can make an emergency recovery backup) -- and it's proven so unreliable that I've removed it entirely from my system a couple of times, now (and it's still off).
Old 11th March 2013
  #12
Here for the gear
 
GiPe's Avatar
I'm cubase 7 user and i will never change it because stable on my macs, features and way to work is very easy and productive, good support from Steinberg.
The v7 was a bit hard approch with the nu mixer and flow work but once you got it you will never look back!
Cubase till the end of the music!
Old 11th March 2013
  #13
Gear Head
 
atomicvai's Avatar
 

Have been using Cubase since SX3.1, skipped 4, used 5, 6 and now 7. Cubase 7 has been rock solid in both 32bit and 64bit. My projects are not massive by any means though (max 24 tracks, usually less). I am on PC, interface is MR816CSX, OS is Windows 8 64bit. I agree with above, the new mixer etc takes getting used to, but once you've given it some time you will love it. I use a variety of different plugs; UAD, Waves, FabFilter, Cytomic etc, all purchased. With UAD finally going 64bit, I no longer run 32bit Cubase 7.
Old 11th March 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendyamps View Post
I have been using Cubase 4 with ZERO issues for years. I just picked up Cubase 7 and cannot record much of anything with it because with my Rosetta 800 (firewire card) all it does is crash even with all updated drivers. I do not know if you will experience the same issues but it has been catastrophic with me. Nevermind the fact that I personally hate the way Cubase 7 looks compared to 4-6.

I sure hope this issue with Cubase 7 is fixed soon because I wasted money on a program I can't use currently.
whats your pc specs?
Old 11th March 2013
  #15
Here for the gear
 
GiPe's Avatar
By the way NOW YOU CAN TRY FULLY FUNCTIONAL TRIAL CUBASE 7.02
Check at steinberg site
Old 12th March 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Hendyamps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
whats your pc specs?
MacBook Pro, 17", dual core, 8gig Ram, 500gig harddrive. 2 years old Mac running newest OS.

Rosetta 800 with FireWire card.

UAD2 solo laptop card, Izotope Ozone 4, Full Waves (all legit).

Cubase drops audio completely even with one track...and it can't figure out how to rout any audio out of the DAW other than the stereo out which is already sketchy. All works great on Cubase 4....stunningly solid.

I purchased the Cubase upgrade from 4 to 7.
Old 13th March 2013
  #17
Gear Nut
 

I would use "lion" instead of "mountain lion" as a first step
Old 13th March 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Bristol_Jonesey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiPe View Post
By the way NOW YOU CAN TRY FULLY FUNCTIONAL TRIAL CUBASE 7.02
Check at steinberg site
Does the demo still require an iLok?

I remember reading that earlier version definitely needed one.
Old 13th March 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol_Jonesey View Post
Does the demo still require an iLok?
What is Google?

(Answer: eLicenser)
Old 13th March 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
krheatman's Avatar
6.5 had issues for me so I went back to 6.0.I think those issues are gone now.I am on C7 on one of my machines now and like it.And I am on pc also,very stable.64 bit.

I also use PT10,Sequoia.Both are also stable.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 13th March 2013
  #21
Gear Addict
 
hotpinkbirds's Avatar
 

Cubase is a very solid daw- BUT it is very RAM dependant. Meaning as long as you have a good amount of available RAM there should be zero problems as long as everything else is setup correctly. Sonar in my experience is a little more stable, as it is built solely for Windows based systems, but Cubase is so much better all around. Im still on 6.5, wouldnt dream about going to 7 until I do a massive machine upgrade.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
R08 / Music Computers
10
andrewj / Music Computers
48
Autocrat / Music Computers
16
chymer / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
151
Zabamusic / Steinberg Cubase + Nuendo
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump