The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If i use an outboard com/eq on every channel in logic will that fix latency
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Head

If i use an outboard com/eq on every channel in logic will that fix latency

Every time you put a outboard piece on an insert you get latency in logic.What if i use (on every channel) outboard on every tracks insert.Wont that relieve this problem?That way every track will be sent out and all come back in therefore naturally lining them up?
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Your channels shoud be aligned automatically by Logic´s built in latency compensation!
But you might have set your preferences wrong.

Logic Pro 9 Manual
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Head

I dont know i went over everything and cant find a fix besides maybe running every channel out so theres equal amount of latency on all channels
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Nut
Are you using the I/O plugin and measuring the round trip latency with it? That should correct for latency when you have latency correction turned on.
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Head

yes im using the i/o plug but ivr nrver measured the latency or dont know how.When i used to run lp8 there was a trick where if you wanted to use and i/o on track inserts you just disable ALL of the audio track inputs and bam it would just correct itself.I never had to do any measuring>Now im on a different osx and lp version so i think thats it.How do you measure this latency?
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

Anyone else?
Old 17th March 2013
Gear Maniac
Ping your I/O utility
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

The I/O plugin will let you ping the latency on your outboard. After you have the chain set up ping the latency and Logic will take care of it. Always works well here.
Old 17th March 2013
Gear Head

Im not sure how to do that as i have not ever used that method.Could you explain?As long as its analog outboard gear the delay time should be the same for every peice of outboard right???
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

Not really. I would ping each chain. It's self explanatory, or follow the instructions in the help menu.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 17th March 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCruiser View Post
The I/O plugin will let you ping the latency on your outboard. After you have the chain set up ping the latency and Logic will take care of it. Always works well here.
here 2
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Head

Dumb question but does all analog gear take the same time to travel back to the interface?I know verbs dont but if so wouldnt there be a universal number of samples it would take to for round trip with analog gear?
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerbuns View Post
Dumb question but does all analog gear take the same time to travel back to the interface?I know verbs dont but if so wouldnt there be a universal number of samples it would take to for round trip with analog gear?
No, its gonna be different. Lots of things, including processor loads will affect latency too. Its good to ping get a reading to set when your actually going to use it. And then ping it again and check again next time you open the project too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search