The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Melodyne vs WavesTune
Old 22nd February 2013
Melodyne vs WavesTune

Who has battled with both of these?

I used to be very big on melodyne, but recently decided to check out WavesTune and it surprised me completely.

Very easy to use, also quick to use. The overview is very simple and the tools it comes with are powerful.

I haven't completely switched yet, but I think after putting some more hours into it, I might not use Melodyne anymore.

Thought?
Old 22nd February 2013
Gee
Lives for gear

Long time melodyne user here (at least 8-10 years. Whenever it came out)

Recently had no choice but to use waves tune and once i got the hang of the work flow i have to say I like it more. Sounds much more natural and is actually faster to use.
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear Maniac

Only just started using waves tune. (Right now)
quite confused to be fair.
going back to melodyne for the time being :L
Old 22nd February 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbarratt View Post
Only just started using waves tune. (Right now)
quite confused to be fair.
going back to melodyne for the time being :L
My thought exactly after 1 hour haha.
The learning curve is quite small but can be confusing.
Once I got around I realised how powerful it was.
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear Nut

I was demoing Wavestune last week....and I loved it. I haven't tried Melodyne yet but I can tell you that it sounded much more transparent than Autotune.

There isn't much to it...just load it up, choose the key of the song, then play the vocal track. Then go back and adjust whatever you need by moving the notes up or down. The "Speed" controls how natural the note sounds (0ms gives it that T-Pain sound), while the "Note Transition" controls how smooth it transitions between notes. You can select all of the notes at once and play with those settings, or one by one if you have a few problem areas.
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Waves tune sounds a million times better than Melodyne. no "melodyne warble" on vocals.
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni-P View Post
My thought exactly after 1 hour haha.
The learning curve is quite small but can be confusing.
Once I got around I realised how powerful it was.
I had similar experiences with Waves 'Tune' - Perhaps I ought to give it another go...

Although, I do use Melodyne more for 'creative' purposes (creating harmonies, wild instrument pitch adjustments and so forth)

For that sort of thing, Melodyne has few if any equal.
Old 23rd February 2013
that is true! I do use melodyne when I have a percussion loop that needs some quantizing. Thats not a task I would do with Wavestune.

But to make it sound like I can actually sing I found Wavestune to be sounding much better on my voice, especially considering the fact that I can't sing :p
Here is a small example (*the singing part only comes in at 2.36*)
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
that is true! I do use melodyne when I have a percussion loop that needs some quantizing. Thats not a task I would do with Wavestune.

But to make it sound like I can actually sing I found Wavestune to be sounding much better on my voice, especially considering the fact that I can't sing :p
Nice video - Thank's for sharing...

I am curious, what makes you feel Waves "Tune" allows for easier (or better) vocal tuning on your voice opposed to Melodyne?

Is it that you complete your task easier with "Tune"?

Or is there a some sonic advantage over Melodyne?

For my use - I can do outright absurd levels of "tuning" with Melodyne on VOX - To the point where if the original VOX were "flawed" enough - Melodyne can make the Tuned VOX almost unrecognizable from the original without any obvious or any artifact's at all.

As for more "sound design" work with VOX specifically - I can practically of not entirely change a voice to the point where it would appear another singer had preformed the VOX. -

Other things I can, and often do are things like chopping up lead VOX tracks selecting particular parts and forming 3-5 part harmonies or a very distinct sounding faux double (or even entire choir's backing pieces)

Of course, that's all beyond the scope of the thread to a point - and pretty difficult to do without spending a LOT of time with Melodyne

(Which I was somewhat forced into doing as I was the principle track "prep" person on a 3 person team who worked for one of the more well known mixer's)

Anyway, I am open to and hopeful that at least for general purpose vocal tuning the Waves plug may make my life easier - I just wanted to know if lu think it will also make such tuning actually sound better as well.

Thanks again for your views and I lool forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,
Alexa
Old 23rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

nice video man. Glad to see ya on the boards again

You do some real dope work. This is @JoeyJeff by the way
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe it's a matter of personal preference, but when I use Wavestune I have better grip on what's going on and how to come the results I want to. Melodyne always tends to confuse me in that way.
Old 23rd February 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTelecine-Lex View Post
Nice video - Thank's for sharing...

I am curious, what makes you feel Waves "Tune" allows for easier (or better) vocal tuning on your voice opposed to Melodyne?

Is it that you complete your task easier with "Tune"?

Or is there a some sonic advantage over Melodyne?

For my use - I can do outright absurd levels of "tuning" with Melodyne on VOX - To the point where if the original VOX were "flawed" enough - Melodyne can make the Tuned VOX almost unrecognizable from the original without any obvious or any artifact's at all.

As for more "sound design" work with VOX specifically - I can practically of not entirely change a voice to the point where it would appear another singer had preformed the VOX. -

Other things I can, and often do are things like chopping up lead VOX tracks selecting particular parts and forming 3-5 part harmonies or a very distinct sounding faux double (or even entire choir's backing pieces)

Of course, that's all beyond the scope of the thread to a point - and pretty difficult to do without spending a LOT of time with Melodyne

(Which I was somewhat forced into doing as I was the principle track "prep" person on a 3 person team who worked for one of the more well known mixer's)

Anyway, I am open to and hopeful that at least for general purpose vocal tuning the Waves plug may make my life easier - I just wanted to know if lu think it will also make such tuning actually sound better as well.

Thanks again for your views and I lool forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,
Alexa
In my opinion there are less of those "melodyne" artifacts. Hard to explain, but after using melodyne for a long time, the switch to waves tune in my opinion made my tuning sound better.

I also like how all the options are just there infront of you and you dont have to click and hold, and select a new option etc...

I have not tried to create harmonies with it yet, but I honestly also have never done that with melodyne, so I can not tell how you how it would compete with wavestune on that end.
But for general tuning purposes, I really enjoy working with it more, and I also like the results more.
Old 28th February 2013
Here for the gear

I used to love WavesTune until I tried A/B comparison to the sound after making the plugin inactive and active back and fourth... it really degrades the sound!!! Just bypassing it didn't reveal this, you have to make it inactive.
WavesTune just really hurts your sound - it works great but terrible sounding. Melodyne doesn't harm your sound at all - sounds fantastic!
and by the way... I see mention of Melodyne artifacts... I've heard them from time to time but a quick restart of Melodyne makes them go away.
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Addict

I demo'd Waves Tune last year and didn't like it.

I do think it was more transparent than what I normally use (Antares) in a lot of cases, but I wasn't a big fan of the workflow.

Then again, I compared it to something I've used since 2002 and have gotten pretty good at using so...

Never got the chance to use Melodyne. Well, Uno came with a copy of Protools I bought and I did try it out. I didn't like it and never looked at it or the subsequent versions again.

They have it as a plugin now right? I mean, on the one I tried it had some weird bridge rewire something or other that made using it cumbersome.

Not to hijack, but is Melodyne a better...

Never mind.

I'll just search for suggestion on that.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

I pretty much agree with the poster above.

Insofar as Waves "Tune" is better then Antares's Auto-Tune (by far IMO)

I also agree with the others here whom have found a fairly audiable sound degredgation from "Tune" ~ However FAR less then found with AutoTune.

As far as Melodyne - While it may be a matter of preference that one does not like it for whatever reason - But its all together on a totally different level.

I think those having signifigant artifacts w/ Melodyne may want to check some video's or maybe the manual - It is quite tricky to use at times - but way, way more advanced then "Tune"

I mean if I can tune RHYTM guitars with it -
You have to admit - It's just much more advanced software (which of course may be a bad thing in some cases)

All around though, for non complex "light-lifting" tuning duties, Waves Tune is a simple and efficent alternative.

Best,
Alexa
Old 2nd March 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershism View Post
Melodyne doesn't harm your sound at all - sounds fantastic!
Melodyne (at least - the plugin - I can't say I've ever used the standalone editor) also seriously degrades the sound. All tuning programs degrade the sound to some extent, even if not doing any processing; Try bypassing melodyne as you say about waves tune. You lose a fair amount of top end. If you can't hear this, I'd say you have a monitoring problem!

I find AT to be the most transparent way of tuning vocals well (ie only changing what needs to be changed - with melodyne, most people seem to be unable to resist gridding everything, whether it needs it or not!). It's not the quickest way, or the easiest to do well though.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershism View Post
I used to love WavesTune until I tried A/B comparison to the sound after making the plugin inactive and active back and fourth... it really degrades the sound!!! Just bypassing it didn't reveal this, you have to make it inactive.
WavesTune just really hurts your sound - it works great but terrible sounding. Melodyne doesn't harm your sound at all - sounds fantastic!
and by the way... I see mention of Melodyne artifacts... I've heard them from time to time but a quick restart of Melodyne makes them go away.
I think you've got them mixed up. Melodyne is the one that degrades the audio.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

From my experience, just playing audio through Melodyne and making the smallest of adjustments will make your audio sound like a badly encoded mp3. Also, I don't like having to press the transfer button and record my audio (again) into Melodyne editor. This creates duplicate files which take up space. WavesTune does not do this. It makes for easier project recalls. I feel that WavesTune actually gives you more control, especially with the pencil tool.

When it comes to making harmonies, Melodyne lets you do it with one instance, but the quality of the pitch shifting isn't as good as with WavesTune. It's more work creating harmonies with WavesTune because you need to use multiple instances for each part of the harmony, but in the end it's worth it for the better quality.

The absolute only benefit I see with Melodyne is the polyphonic feature, but due to the artifacts that Melodyne introduces I see it as useless anyway. I will never, ever, run any of my audio through it again. I think that WavesTune is the most natural sounding tuning option, and I definitely recommend it over Melodyne.
Old 2nd March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTelecine-Lex View Post
I had similar experiences with Waves 'Tune' - Perhaps I ought to give it another go...

Although, I do use Melodyne more for 'creative' purposes (creating harmonies, wild instrument pitch adjustments and so forth)

For that sort of thing, Melodyne has few if any equal.
Exactly.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

I own both, but have only used Melodyne for harmony creation.

I don't want to "hear" the tuning, and Melodyne leave too much of a sonic signature for me.

With Waves Tune, try turning format correction "off" with vocals that are only slightly out of pitch.

It is also important to listen to each phrase before and after in order to be unsure the tuning is an improvement. Sometimes (often) the untouched vocal is better.

Best...H
Old 2nd March 2013
Which version of Melodyne are all you guys using??
I've always used the stand-alone multi-track version and I don't think it messes with the sound. Are u guys using the plugin?
Old 2nd March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
I've always used the stand-alone multi-track version and I don't think it messes with the sound. Are u guys using the plugin?
DNA plugin...but I guess it's difficult to A/b with the editor? Maybe import a file, tune and export, then compare to original?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
I've used both, but most recently the editor version when I was comparing with WavesTune a few months ago. I don't see how the standalone would offer any quality advantage considering it's similar technology, yet older.
Old 2nd March 2013
Eat
Lives for gear

Tune's been on sale for less that 99 bucks. Gotta do something useful for that price. That did it for me
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Maniac

Here are two post about the degrading. Try the test yourselves.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8794881-post56.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8798591-post80.html
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Bought tune for 71 dollars. I like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Who has battled with both of these?

I used to be very big on melodyne, but recently decided to check out WavesTune and it surprised me completely.

Very easy to use, also quick to use. The overview is very simple and the tools it comes with are powerful.

I haven't completely switched yet, but I think after putting some more hours into it, I might not use Melodyne anymore.

Thought?
I have and use both, Wave Tune is quit good, BUT does only support CONSTANT tempo. So if have not a fixed tempo in ur song, Waves tune is a no go.

Basically if waves supported variable tempo and their HMI would be scalable, it would be much more usable.

Melodyne struggled with variable tempo in past versions, but the last few have been working very well with that.

cheers
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

I love Waves Tune, so easy and great sounding, tempo shifting could be a problem though and there is a time limit so you cant Tune a i.e 30 min session.
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, it's easy enough to work around these limitations though.
Old 3rd March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
I love Waves Tune, so easy and great sounding, tempo shifting could be a problem though and there is a time limit so you cant Tune a i.e 30 min session.
If you have to tune i.e. a 30 minute session you should consider a hammer with which to pummel yourself in the head. I'd rather do that...https://static.gearslutz.com/board/im...milies/lol.gif
๐Ÿ“ Reply