The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 x Antelope Orions / Avid HD MADI COMBO
Old 21st February 2013
Here for the gear

2 x Antelope Orions / Avid HD MADI COMBO

Hi guys!

I'm probably the 1st person to ever try this, but I have to say,
that 2 Antelope Audio Orions work great with the Avid HD MADI.
64 IOs at this price is unbelievable.
The latency, when your using inserts is 70 samples at 44.1,
which means 2 ms.
I do have a 10M/Trinity Combo and the sound of the Orion converters
reminds me totally of my Antelope Eclipse.

really cool.
Old 21st February 2013
Lives for gear

I would like to hear the Antelope A/D/DA. Yes it is a cheap way to get lots of I/O - way cheaper than what my set up cost me.
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I would like to hear the Antelope A/D/DA.
So would I out of curiosity.
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Do u know how the latency compares with other setups?
Old 25th February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
Do u know how the latency compares with other setups?
You mean usb?
From what I heard it depends on your computer..
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

I meant compared to the avid interfaces and other third party ones. I can look it up tho.. Looks like a great setup !
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

I will be going for the same thing. Right now I have SSL madixtreme 128, but I need to run PT HD which I have native in the same comp...but the comp is in my server room,so I need a fiber connection instead of HD cable.
HD madi seems to be a good way to cook two at the same time.
WTB used HD Madi
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL71 View Post
Hi guys!

which means 2 ms.

really cool.
Thanks for the info... I'm looking more and more about the Antelope Orion 32. It seems like a really nice solution (small size, lot of i/o, not running freaking hot, friendly on the electric bill and affordable...)

I'd be curious to know on which HD card do you run them? HD1, 2, 3, HD Native, HDx ?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 12th May 2013
Lives for gear

RME just came out with a new MADI interface with onboard DSP that might be worth checking out too if going this route. Looks like the Native guys can have cue plugs at low latency like the HD / HDX guys.
Old 12th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
... 2 Antelope Audio Orions work great with the Avid HD MADI.
Can you please describe how you have everything connected? For example, does the MADI unit go between the HD cards and the Orions? Does it replace the HD cards? I'm virtually ignorant with respect to MADI, but I'm curious about it.

This thread is especially timely because I'm planning on switching from PT HD 4 Accel to HDX2. I do not need the plugin power of HDX2, but I do need *at least* 64 channels of automatic-delay-compensated analog I/O. If I were to hang my four Lynx Aurora 16s off of one HDX card, only 32 analog I/O would be delay compensated.

It would be great news to learn that I might be able to keep all my current equipment (or move to HDX1 with 2 Orions or 4 Lynx's) if I were to add Avid HD MADI to my rig. Any thoughts?
Old 12th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu6gr8 View Post
Can you please describe how you have everything connected? For example, does the MADI unit go between the HD cards and the Orions? Does it replace the HD cards? I'm virtually ignorant with respect to MADI, but I'm curious about it.

This thread is especially timely because I'm planning on switching from PT HD 4 Accel to HDX2. I do not need the plugin power of HDX2, but I do need *at least* 64 channels of automatic-delay-compensated analog I/O. If I were to hang my four Lynx Aurora 16s off of one HDX card, only 32 analog I/O would be delay compensated.

It would be great news to learn that I might be able to keep all my current equipment (or move to HDX1 with 2 Orions or 4 Lynx's) if I were to add Avid HD MADI to my rig. Any thoughts?
The avid HD MADI connects to both ports on the HDX card and converts the protools I/O into optical MADI. At 48K you would use one set of MADI ports. MADI can send or receive 64 channels at 48k. At 96k this reduces to 32 channels, therefore at 96k you would use both sets of MADI ports. At 192k each optical MADI can handle 16 channels.

At 48k you would dasy chain the two orions but at 96 or 192 you would let each Orion use a set of MADI ports.
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
The avid HD MADI connects to both ports on the HDX card and converts the protools I/O into optical MADI. At 48K you would use one set of MADI ports. MADI can send or receive 64 channels at 48k. At 96k this reduces to 32 channels, therefore at 96k you would use both sets of MADI ports. At 192k each optical MADI can handle 16 channels.

At 48k you would dasy chain the two orions but at 96 or 192 you would let each Orion use a set of MADI ports.
Thanks for the info, bassjam.
Old 18th May 2013
Lives for gear

which card?
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
which card?
Quote:
...on the HDX card
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone View Post
Question was for OP.
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Question was for OP.
Maybe be a little more specific then. This is a community forum and you posted it right after someone was talking about an HDX card.
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Question was for OP.
Have no fear, Bassjam's here!

I mean the mini digilink ports on the Avid HDX cards.

Cheers.
Old 19th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
I do not need the plugin power of HDX2, but I do need *at least* 64 channels of automatic-delay-compensated analog I/O. If I were to hang my four Lynx Aurora 16s off of one HDX card, only 32 analog I/O would be delay compensated.
One HDX card gives you 64 channels at 44.1/48 Khz.

Talking of great converters, I know a studio using PT HDX1 with AVID´s MADI HD and Merging´s Horus converters. 48 analogue I/O setup, plus 16 AES pairs in one go. And a great sound of course. Also using 10M and Trinity clock from Antelope.The Antelope´s setup via MADI HD look like a great combination too.
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone View Post
Maybe be a little more specific then. This is a community forum and you posted it right after someone was talking about an HDX card.
no sweat.
i was curious if the OP was using a HDN or X card for his set-up...
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
One HDX card gives you 64 channels at 44.1/48 Khz.

Talking of great converters, I know a studio using PT HDX1 with AVID´s MADI HD and Merging´s Horus converters. 48 analogue I/O setup, plus 16 AES pairs in one go. And a great sound of course. Also using 10M and Trinity clock from Antelope.The Antelope´s setup via MADI HD look like a great combination too.
Thanks, Paulo, I'll take a look at those converters.
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

A question about the Orion that I can't seem to find the answer for anywhere but I think an owner will be able to answer: is it possible to use the 32 ch of analogue out at the same time as using the 16 channels of Ad at at 44.1 to give a total of 48 ch of output over both analogue and digital outputs or am I being over ambitious here?

Or... is it 32ch of output max using a combination?

Cool
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhollos View Post
A question about the Orion that I can't seem to find the answer for anywhere but I think an owner will be able to answer: is it possible to use the 32 ch of analogue out at the same time as using the 16 channels of Ad at at 44.1 to give a total of 48 ch of output over both analogue and digital outputs or am I being over ambitious here?

Cool
Don't understand, it does 32 channels of AD and 32 channels of DA at upto 96K via MADI. Then at 192k it would drop down to 16 AD and 16 DA which is a limitation of the MADI protocol.
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't understand, it does 32 channels of AD and 32 channels of DA at upto 96K via MADI. Then at 192k it would drop down to 16 AD and 16 DA which is a limitation of the MADI protocol.
Apologies, maybe I have phrased the question incorrectly. What is mean is are you able to use the full compliment of 32 analogue outputs of the unit at the same time that you are using the 16 Adat outputs? So for instance, in the PT i/o you could set o/p 1-32 as your analogue outputs and then have o/p 33-48 as Adats? or is it a case of 32 o/ps maximum, so, if you want to use the Adat outputs you'd compromise on the analogues that you can for instance. 16 Adat and 16 analogue, or 8 adat and 24 analogue so the sum can be a maximum of 32?

I'm just not sure if the 32 denotes the amount of simultaneous signals the unit can do going each way or if it denotes the analogue signals.

Hope this makes more sense.

Cool
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys!

which means 2 ms.

really cool.

How is the latency at 88.2K? I have been looking at this combo very closely.
Old 21st May 2013
Gear Head

I recently borrowed an Antelope for the record of a broadcast which I took Madi feeds from a truck. I have 2 rigs that I change up depending on the show.My primary was an HD3 with an SSL Delta link. I tested the Antelope with that(just to see..) and it worked great. If I only needed analog i/o (I often need tons of AES) it would be a great solution.
I used it with my Backup rig (RME Madiface>Reaper) in case I had to record any last minute analog feeds while the broadcast A1 was mixing. I ended up just using it for analog monitoring and to record a timecode track.
It runs REALLY cool-especially compared to my Auroras. The deal breaker for me is that it does not run in standalone mode-you must have it connected to a computer.( I had it hooked up to my backup rig while recording the show and had no issues.) Since my setups change gig to gig I sometimes need a Madi converter in a remote location that can run on its own.
Old 23rd May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthedrummer View Post
I recently borrowed an Antelope for the record of a broadcast which I took Madi feeds from a truck. I have 2 rigs that I change up depending on the show.My primary was an HD3 with an SSL Delta link. I tested the Antelope with that(just to see..) and it worked great. If I only needed analog i/o (I often need tons of AES) it would be a great solution.
I used it with my Backup rig (RME Madiface>Reaper) in case I had to record any last minute analog feeds while the broadcast A1 was mixing. I ended up just using it for analog monitoring and to record a timecode track.
It runs REALLY cool-especially compared to my Auroras. The deal breaker for me is that it does not run in standalone mode-you must have it connected to a computer.( I had it hooked up to my backup rig while recording the show and had no issues.) Since my setups change gig to gig I sometimes need a Madi converter in a remote location that can run on its own.
It does indeed run in standalone mode via either MADI or ADAT. You ONLY need the computer to do the routing, then just simply save a preset and use it w/o the computer.

Regards,
Marcel
Old 23rd May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhollos View Post

Cool
If you're talking about via MADI, then yest you have up to 64 channel inputs that can be route to both the converters AND the ADAT. It's only the USB interface aspect that's limited to 32 ch. You could even converter 32 channels and record a different 32 channels via MADI routed to the USB Record.

Thanks for your interest,
Marcel
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

Would this work with Pro Tools HD Native and HD MADI?
I am looking for a cheap replacement for 4x HD I/O.
I want to use 64 hardware Inserts in PT HD. Does it have a Lynx-style emulation mode or are latencies going to be an issue?

thanks
📝 Reply