The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 HDs: Where to place OS, Software, Samples and Audio? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head

3 HDs: Where to place OS, Software, Samples and Audio?

Hi All.

Setup:
It's in my signature. basically 3 different HDs(from older,slower,smaller to bigger,newer,faster).
Uses:
I use my DAW to record jazz/funk/rock sometimes I like to play with a lot of VSTs on top,
Bust mostly it's just several tracks of audio, mostly guitars and such with Superior Drummer and some Keyboard or bass VST.
Questions:
1) The basic question is: on which drive should I place my OS, Software(plugins) Samples. Audio & Projects etc...
2) I think that most of the heavy use is porbebly VST(I might be wrong though) and my questions is how does the RAM and HD work? 'cause I know VSTs are loaded to the RAM, so maybe having the samples on a fast drive will just shorten Loading time and not make "Working Time" smoother and I should use the faster HD for audio, but does the audio load to the vst?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

You need to provide specifics about the drives. I'm not quite understanding what you have.
They all need to be fast, 7200rpm. So if you have a 1tb, a 2tb and a 3tb I'd make the audio drive the 1tb. I'd make the OS and apps drive a 2tb and I'd backup the audio drive to this. I'd make the 3tb my sounds drive because libraries are huge and only getting larger each year.
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

If by chance you have a really fast 10k rpm drive use this for your sounds. If you have any 5400 rpm drives, I'd punt that or just use it for backup.
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head

There are model numbers in my sig too...

Samples needs the fastest drive->audio->os & software, right?
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoobooboozoo View Post
Hi All.

Setup:
It's in my signature. basically 3 different HDs(from older,slower,smaller to bigger,newer,faster).
Uses:
I use my DAW to record jazz/funk/rock sometimes I like to play with a lot of VSTs on top,
Bust mostly it's just several tracks of audio, mostly guitars and such with Superior Drummer and some Keyboard or bass VST.
Questions:
1) The basic question is: on which drive should I place my OS, Software(plugins) Samples. Audio & Projects etc...
2) I think that most of the heavy use is porbebly VST(I might be wrong though) and my questions is how does the RAM and HD work? 'cause I know VSTs are loaded to the RAM, so maybe having the samples on a fast drive will just shorten Loading time and not make "Working Time" smoother and I should use the faster HD for audio, but does the audio load to the vst?

Thanks in advance.
You've got it right.

Since you're recording and streaming audio i would use the Raptor for the audio drive, the 1TB WD Black is fast and large enough for your sample drive, however i would replace the Green drive with an SSD for your OS and programs and you have the ideal set-up all round.

I have a similar set-up and it performs alot more than i'll ever need until i perhaps delve into the world of full orchestration and scoring, by which point i'd probably buy the latest pc config aswell.
A good Samsung SSD or the like are pretty cheap in the smaller sizes which should be adequate for your OS and programs !?
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head

I feel silly but I just realised today that the raptor is 10000RPM(!).
It's my oldest drive, it's like 8 years old.

I'm kinda afraid to place my projects on it cause I don't wanna see it fail and lost my work.

Either way Feedme, I really can't afford a SSD right now.
MAYBE another regular drive in the future, but the budget is strict and I can't really buy something to replace the green one.
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoobooboozoo View Post
I feel silly but I just realised today that the raptor is 10000RPM(!).
It's my oldest drive, it's like 8 years old.

I'm kinda afraid to place my projects on it cause I don't wanna see it fail and lost my work.

Either way Feedme, I really can't afford a SSD right now.
MAYBE another regular drive in the future, but the budget is strict and I can't really buy something to replace the green one.
Mm yes, i'd be wary of an 8 year old drive unless i backed up often. But whichever role you'd use it for, the data is just as important im assuming.

In the case of SSD, its just a novelty really when it comes to OS drive, you'd be fine with the Green. I wouldn't use the Green for an audio drive, as performance is important here. Even though its 7200rpm apparently the greens sacrfice performance to save power ? Not good for streaming. I couldnt say for sure as i haven't tried one.
I guess you could give the set-up a trial run.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search