The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Embedding Bandcamp
Old 12th February 2013
Embedding Bandcamp

Is it possible to embed a Bandcamp link? I know BC gives you the option, but when I paste their code here it shows up as code instead of as an embedded player. Is this simply because GS doesn't support it? I searched, but couldn't find much. Thanks!
Old 12th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Elephant View Post
Is it possible to embed a Bandcamp link? I know BC gives you the option, but when I paste their code here it shows up as code instead of as an embedded player. Is this simply because GS doesn't support it? I searched, but couldn't find much. Thanks!
Correct.

BC, like a lot of online media outfits, now uses an 'iframe' for its widget embeds -- which is basically just a little 'window' in the hosting page that shows the content of another web page.

Because of the open-ended nature of an iframe, it's typical to not allow them, or allow them only on a case-by-case basis.

So, GS has chosen to allow SoundCloud's iframes, but not BandCamp's.

I don't know, but perhaps because outifts like BandCamp and CD Baby are set up more as stores than simple media streaming/download points, the GS PTB decided to go with just the not-so-commerce-oriented SoundCloud. Or maybe they just thought their wave-graphic player looked cooler.

I do note that the current version of the SoundCloud player doesn't appear to be Adobe Flash based (or perhaps falls back to Flash in a non-HTML5 browser?) -- a HUGE plus from almost any perspective, since, in the time since Adobe bought Macromedia to get hold of Flash, that franchise has continued to deteriorate in terms of both reliability and security (the latest Flash mega-security warning was just this weekend -- only four days since the last crucial security fix!)... I think it's safe to say that if Macromedia Flash had been as big a disaster as Flash has proved to be under Adobe, that it would have never caught on in the first place. (And I've been a licensed Flash developer.)
Old 12th February 2013
Thanks for the detailed reply!!
Hey MODS, any chance of Bandcamp embedding support any time soon?
Old 22nd October 2013
Old 29th October 2013
Hi GS folks, as per other posts on this thread, I think we need to have Bandcamp integration allowed on GS too.
Old 7th August 2016
Lives for gear

bump. Agreed!
Old 26th December 2016
PES
Lives for gear

Bandcamp with no intention to sell

Bump

A lot of us (I'd guess) release music on Bandcamp (and only there) for free, so it would be a welcome addition to the SC support in order to share relevant examples of gear use in music etc.
Old 2nd March 2017
Here for the gear

Bump

Sure would be nice !!
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Addict

*bump*
Old 26th August 2018
Lives for gear
bump in August 18
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search