The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is DUY officially closed for business?
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Addict

As I posted in another thread... DUY AAX exists!
There are new versions surfacing in PluginUpdate since a few days.
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

New website is up! Heres hoping....
Old 1st July 2013
400 bucks for that tape plugin? Really?
Old 1st July 2013
Gear Nut

yeah, for 400€ they could at least change that ugly design they use since. . . when? 1998? i remember when a lot of people recommended me years ago this revolutionary tape sim from duy and you have to buy pro tools - just for THAT!

i wonder if they are actually good, never tried them. it all would look like a big joke, if there were not quite a few really frustrated customers over the past years.
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Still with the 1998 prices!
The plugin world has changed drastically to a low margin, high turnover model.

If DUY embraces that and shows some quality service over the next few months, perhaps they will be welcomed back to the fold. But I doubt that based on years of proven ineffectiveness.
Old 2nd July 2013
TNM
Lives for gear
Wow it works to $522 USD for just their single native duy tape plugin with algorithms from 1998! I haven't laughed that hard in a while. I got slate VTM for $75. I'd choose dad tape over that for sure. Um... NOT!

And they are asking these prices after all the shenanigans they have pulled. Whatever. Some people are just not all there, and whoever runs duy is one of them.

Actually, I could have izotope trash 2, fabfilter Saturn, VTM, toneboosters ferox and reelbuss, and still have change.

It would be ok if dad tape was revolutionary and truly sounded better than the rest. But it doesn't.
Old 2nd July 2013
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
Still with the 1998 prices!
The plugin world has changed drastically to a low margin, high turnover model.

If DUY embraces that and shows some quality service over the next few months, perhaps they will be welcomed back to the fold. But I doubt that based on years of proven ineffectiveness.
Its not *just* about that though as the plugins themselves are not really anything special IMO of course. They need to do everything you said and also release a couple of killer plugins.
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Addict

Their website has been down for the past week, it seems as if they've closed the shop for good.
Old 27th July 2016
I am not surprised, they have been getting quieter and quieter
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

DUY Lives

I got a mail from them before black Friday with discounts.
Seems theyre back.
I mailed them to our what's going on and actually reply.

Basically they were in contract with spread distribution who never did their part so DUY is now independent.

I own Everpack and Tape and need to have them upgraded to work on my system but their upgrade prices are ludicrous.
€111 for Everpack and €90 for Tape.
Can't bring myself to pay that.. can pick up Softube Tape for around $80 on special and know they'll be around for a long time to come.

Their prices are crazy but guess they'll realise that over time
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Wow, still trying it on!
I normally never bad-mouth any company, but based only on the last 10 years or so, anyone considering a DUY plugin better think hard about it first!

For years (ie. the mid 2000s) I was really coveting the tape and valve - always on my wishlist, but never purchased. Today's versions wouldn't have changed since then, yet the plugin harmonics category has gone nuts with well priced and well performing choices. I know where I'd be looking!
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

^ Indeed - I've decided to forego my DUY Tape and Valve updates and rather get Softube Tape for cheaper than the update charge..duy's they're crazy

if DUY want to help themselves they should offer existing loyal users irresistible upgrade prices to at least get people using their stuff again and start talking about them. the plugin world has changed so much and nobody told them
Old 18th December 2017
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post

Their prices are crazy but guess they'll realise that over time
no, they won't. They would have done *something* by now. Furthermore, honestly they are just not very nice people either.. They also have been unreliable over the years, well, even as bad as crysonic (eek).. difference being one of their plugins costs multiples of crysonic's entire bundle..

Finally, they also are delusional and probably insane. The proof you ask? DUY tape is currently priced at 400 EUROS.

This shows just how stubborn they are and the general contempt they have towards people, after they shafted them so many times to boot.
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

I'll never purchase another DUY product.
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

When I saw their BLACK FRIDAY email I was convinced that someone had hacked/spoofed them as I couldn't believe they'd show their virtual faces after such a long absence and so much bad blood with customers.
Old 19th December 2017
How about those crazy prices....
And the same old ugly GUI.
Old 27th December 2017
Gear Nut

This is our conversation after their new random mailer...

I did send my serials to them after and then they ignored me again.. (their usual behavior)

"total overhaul" = LOL

Hello Peo,

Sorry to hear that you had such a very bad experience with us in the past...... That is the past, Duy has had a total overhaul of its after sales, customer service and support departments and those things will not happen anymore, so please do not put a gun in your mouth.

Would you be so kind as to tell me which product you purchased and when you purchased so that I could look it up and see if I can help you.

Best regards,
Stefany
DUY

---- On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 19:32:46 +0100 Peo wrote ----

Hi Stefan,

Great to hear from you. Although you guys NEVER EVER replied to any of my support emails from me during all these years. So it's always a lovely one-way communication.

Asking me to pour one more penny into your company and hoping your plugins would even be downloadable after the transaction would be like putting a gun in my own mouth.

Thanks again for the random mailer (I get them once every 3 years).

Peo

Last edited by peodepitte; 28th December 2017 at 01:46 AM..
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

The old "yeah, we used to be bad but now we're good" play.
It's the boy who cried wolf over and over.

My advice (like they need me ..... like they're even listening to anyone!!)
They need to drop their prices to $29 like Waves have done and then they'll probably do OK on volume. At that price, people might be prepared to take a risk.
Old 8th December 2018
Gear Addict

They seem to be alive, and the prices are in good old Duy tradition.
LucidVerb | DUY audio

Last edited by Dan Eriksson; 8th December 2018 at 02:22 PM..
Old 8th December 2018
Lives for gear

They are delusional.
Old 21st January 2020
Here for the gear

Never heard of this company until today. I saw their Tape and Valve plugins listed as some of the plugins used on a Mastering project. I was familiar with all the rest on the list so I decided to check them out. Immediately laughed my ass off to find them charging 400 Euros just for their Tape plugin. This forum made me laugh harder seeing that they have been charging that same price since 1998 and it is now 2020. It hasn't dropped in price in 22 YEARS!!

I'm amazed at the dedication of you guys. Waiting YEARS for a company to respond to support emails.. and still holding onto hope so long afterwards.. talking about what they need to do to make it back into the fold. Fuk that.I'd have cut my losses after a a month at most.. probably less. That is absurd and that company doesn't deserve your money or attention. Sorry to all of you who got screwed by these grease balls.

Hey DUY.. F U

Last edited by Jeru215; 21st January 2020 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: My middle finger emoji was censored. Replaced with 'F U'
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

There's no dedication from my side. I was lusting after their two main plugins in the late 90s ... and they're still the same performance and price TODAY!

I'm here now purely for the entertainment of observing a company whose practises beggar belief.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

@ Jeru215 thanks for your sympathy, it‘s warming!
I was one of those who fell for their marketing, with great regret...was pretty convincing at the time

Pity, I still rate DUY Valve, just wish I could use it...but for that privilege (if you could call it that) it would have cost me another €100...! Jokers. These guys are out of their minds and then some...

Many plugin businesses have come and gone, now it’s about being selective and one criteria being, will they still be in business several years from now.
Maybe I’m deluded but if I buy something I expect to be able to use it for years and years to come..
Waves, Softube, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, Eventide, NI, Fabfilter, PSP... safe bets? I hope so
Old 22nd January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgee View Post
@ Jeru215 thanks for your sympathy, it‘s warming!
I was one of those who fell for their marketing, with great regret...was pretty convincing at the time

Pity, I still rate DUY Valve, just wish I could use it...but for that privilege (if you could call it that) it would have cost me another €100...! Jokers. These guys are out of their minds and then some...

Many plugin businesses have come and gone, now it’s about being selective and one criteria being, will they still be in business several years from now.
Maybe I’m deluded but if I buy something I expect to be able to use it for years and years to come..
Waves, Softube, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, Eventide, NI, Fabfilter, PSP... safe bets? I hope so
They are honestly just a crappy company to deal with.

They did have a massive 80% off BF sale last year but those prices should be their *standard everyday prices*, with the BF sale being an extra 50 or so percent off from that.

Their non sale prices are... well... delusional doesn't really cover it at all.. it's way past that, especially with all the competition out there.. Sure, their tape plugin can be nice to add some filthy grit, but not to be used as a serious multitrack "track to tape" plugin.. and *certainly* not with the likes of what is out there for cheaper.

A perfect example is how they want 629 EUROS for just 2 plugins.. dad tape and dad valve.

And I am just going to go ahead and say it.. that's OFFENSIVE and downright rude to even dare ask such a price for 2 outdated plugins (AND they have dropped the pro tools DSP versions to boot). Anyone who actually went and bought these for 629 or just one fo them for 399 euro needs a doctor's appointment pronto. I really believe that.. There is absolutely no reason for any human being to ever do such a thing.
Oh, I am also on the floor with their limiter for 149 euro, from 20 years ago, when you can get the whole of ozone 9 standard at that price at resellers.

They are complete and utter morons who are completely out of touch with the current audio world scene.
They certainly have some cojones on them though, that's for sure. What they must think of themselves to have a serious storefront asking those prices.. the mind boggles.

PS I just tried to find ANY recent video showing their newer plugins or heck even their "classic" ones. Said videos do not exist. People can't even be bothered to test the demos and review them (unless when they say contact us for a demo they actually don't provide one). No one is buying them and they are sticking to those prices
These are the worst business people ever. Whenever i see this topic necroed, *nothing* surprises me anymore as far as DUY are concerned
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search