The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac Pro II .. I was just reading my Crystal Ball
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Mac Pro II .. I was just reading my Crystal Ball

Intel is going to release a 4x Conroe CPU in the first quarter of 2007.
When Apple gets their hands on this, it will be the first 8x Core system based on the conroe core.
Apple will release a dual quad-core MAC! .. Probably after Christmas.
Do a google on Kentsfield.
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

this stuff is Crazy.

crrrrrrraaaazy!!!!!
Old 9th August 2006
Gear Nut

My name is Bob and I'm a Cpu addict.
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

and here i was telling myself "this macbook pro 2ghz is so fast, i can see myself holding onto it for at least 4 years", and thats 3 years longer than i usually hold onto a computer.

at this rate, in 3 years time when i do upgrade..... good god....
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Will you need still HD cards(or similar)....
I think AMD will still rule the speed race when it all said and done.

just think about what will be out in 2008heh ...its not that for away.
Old 9th August 2006
Gear Guru

I know the new Mac Pro's are really tempting, but all Apple Rev "A" machines get leap frogged
very quickly, so try to hang in there for them schweet DUAL QUADS.

And save up plenty for 4 GB+ ECC RAM then add in your PCI-Express audio cards.
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

We're getting fast into a region where even folks like us don`t need that much processing power. Throw 20 or 30 on them into a cluster and every major supercomputer will get nervous. So, if that happens, why would we buy "newer" or "faster" computers after that?
That said, these processor cores aren't the hot cake. Nothing you can get your paws on as a consumer is new in any way. It always like this: first serve- some special military units, 10 years later maybe the industry gets some and then even later the consumers get the breadcrumbs.
Once I got a layout for a nicenice pre, I called to get two of these opamps...and they asked me, in which military base I work - bump! I eventually got the lowest grade of these opamps, the sort they throw in the trash, built two pres with them and...like looking into a clear lake and then some. This is their trash.
So don't get to exicited about new computers.
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
That said, these processor cores aren't the hot cake. Nothing you can get your paws on as a consumer is new in any way. It always like this: first serve- some special military units, 10 years later maybe the industry gets some and then even later the consumers get the breadcrumbs.
Once I got a layout for a nicenice pre, I called to get two of these opamps...and they asked me, in which military base I work - bump! I eventually got the lowest grade of these opamps, the sort they throw in the trash, built two pres with them and...like looking into a clear lake and then some. This is their trash.
So don't get to exicited about new computers.

the thought of this is pretty crazy.

a client of mine was telling me his uncle works for the US gov't.

uncle won't reveal all, but has suggested hints as to the technology used in gov't (true or not).

some goes as ridiculous as being able to lift off'f the ground without much gear on you, or some reflective material to wear so one becomes invisible.

i was laughing. he wasn't. go figure.
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

A friend of mine works with stuff like that.
It doesn't need that much secretsecret-hushing, because most people won't believe anything anyway, laugh it away and refer to the "SciFi TV series, blahblah, you're an idiot"-thing.

Well, at least i am an idiot with a lot of microphones!!!
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post

a client of mine was telling me his uncle works for the US gov't.

uncle won't reveal all, .

is his Uncle named SAM, by chance?
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, the other messed up thing is that this technology, even at the consumer level, is growing exponentially. In other words, the difference between a current processor and the equivalent from a year ago is much greater than a similar comparision 5 or 10 years ago. Our gear is becoming obsolete faster than ever!
One thing that I see as very positive about Apple's switch to Intel is that they looked at power consumption and heat. Faster chips will ALWAYS eat more power, and would eventually require such sophisticated cooling that regular consumers would no longer be able to afford or see practical use in top-of-the-line. These Xeon chips are great, but I'm sure that if they were operating under the old adage of "faster, no matter what" they'd kick much more butt than they already do from a technical standpoint. Of course, they'd also probably still require the entire Mac Pro case for cooling...
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

I read somewhere that they are already experiment with 16cores two of them and you have 32 processor cores in your system. I don´t think it´s a reason to wait, this is normal progression in computer buissnes.
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Whatever, it's all useless until Logic is updated to support audio engines running on more than just 2 cores (as it is right now with Logic 7.2.1).

Hopefully Logic 7.2.2, which Apple refers to in their baselines, will be released soon and support quad cores or more.
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

i would advise folks to be carefull spending their hard earned buks fast on new technology.....unless they have a big inheritance ...lol.
why ?? these multi processor/core approaches are just the start of a new wave which will make things very exciting in the coming years
for us all. YOU AINT SEEN NOTHING YET.
as always there will be early adopters. some will be happy but others might have to jump a few hurdles and maybe get some problems in the process.
some will be pooped haveing bought a quad when suddenly an octo comes out....

mebe even 32 cores ?? who knows ??
in addition ....as the number of cores increases/processors ...another issue raises its head....the power supply. and the specifications needed to run so many cores etc. and the associated costs....but we will see. also the motherboard costs etc
for folks building their own pc's.
the thing that really concerns me is possibly only a few bigger studios/daw set ups will be able to afford large arrays of processor cores initially.
thus the small home user might have to settle to being happy with dual core for awhile until R n' d is paid back on the arrays of cores and finally pricing trickles down to the level a home user can afford.

i suspect there will be a market split....just like only a few can afford a ssl console.
same idea. the rest of us will have to settle for less. myself included.
one way to maybe profit from the upcoming boom and this new wave will be to buy the stock of companies making the new multi processors/cores.....lol.
then if you make money on the stock, this will help you buy the hot new stuff.
this is what i'm thinking of doing.
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
We're getting fast into a region where even folks like us don`t need that much processing power.
Yup. I can see these newer machines being used to cover the CPU demands for HD video editing and 96/24 multitrack audio, but for current consumer tech (DVDs & CDs), it's way overkill.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search