The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Piano Vst?
Old 31st May 2016
Lives for gear

I have several libraries, and I don't love any of them . . . and it's interesting the contradictory recommendations here, we all have different tastes. So I tried a weird experiment: I duped midi tracks and put different instances of piano vsts - with the samples, there was phasing, because of timing and pitch. But when I did it with Pianoteq, because it's algortihmic, there was no phasing. So using several different voicings of Pteq, I got a nice full tone, better than any individual voicing by itself. I'm going to play with this some more. Anyone else done this?
Old 31st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
I have several libraries, and I don't love any of them . . . and it's interesting the contradictory recommendations here, we all have different tastes. So I tried a weird experiment: I duped midi tracks and put different instances of piano vsts - with the samples, there was phasing, because of timing and pitch. But when I did it with Pianoteq, because it's algortihmic, there was no phasing. So using several different voicings of Pteq, I got a nice full tone, better than any individual voicing by itself. I'm going to play with this some more. Anyone else done this?

Agreed about taste. For me, Pianoteq is just lifeless and I prefer flawed but animated libraries to lifelessness.
Old 31st May 2016
Lives for gear

Some questions about Ravenscroft:

How many velocity layers does it have?

The Specs on the site state 6gb "installed", 35gb uncompresses, So how much does it uses it you HD?
Old 1st June 2016
I think there is an enhanced approach to using virtual instruments or even digital instruments which is working better for me.

I'll try to explain.

1. We are accustomed to hearing how musical instruments sound in recordings that we are familiar with, in various genres....for pianos the method of recording has such as significant bearing on our auditory references.

Over time - recording engineers have perfected their own combinations of microphones, eq's and balancing between multiple microphones (including mono), mid side, and stereo, including binaural, to approximate what we like to hear on a record - these are our benchmarks - aural references.

2. To achieve a similar result, one has to view the virtual piano recording from the same perspective - what combination of piano microphones, in what balance of volume, phasing, delay between microphones, eq, and daresay compression do I need to reproduce the illusion, that my ear is so well accustomed to on good quality recorded music.

3. If we see the set of samples as a starting point, and adapt its multiple microphones recordings - with lots of trial and error to approximate a high quality studio recording. In my opinion we are likely to advance the pursuit of a believable illusion, that much further.

4. In some cases, one does not need multi-mic positions - as even a single set of stereo samples from one perspective can be repurposed to approximate a multi-miced set - if you know what transformations are needed, to create the other microphone positions.

In my case I ended up with about 4 stereo channels, for very close, close, mid and far - preferably via multiple outs from the virtual piano/sampler to my DAW, which I could EQ to taste, balance, compress, and add effects to individually(including inverting phase-or is it better to call this polarity per channel), as well as apply a corresponding suite of effects to a piano sub group which combined these tracks.

The end result was more alive - definitely far more believable than playback of a single close mic position, as I was simply duplicating the illusion of a virtual studio recording.

It is certainly more hard work, but I believe more authentic.

While many of the newer sampled pianos provide multiple mic positions, as a good starting point, I think they give you "their version" of what they think is piano, which you need to tweak, and virtualise further. Predominantly their tone controls are global and this could - overly stylise how the piano sounds. Think - different mics, different amps, different saturation as not all tracks on a tape multitrack sound the same.... - How do you approximate this inherent variation, which you find in most piano recordings.

The greatest advance for me was being able to apply my choice of effects to each mic position, to personalise the piano to my playing style, preferences, per song/performance.

This is what we hear on great piano recordings - lots of hard work on the part of the piano tuner, and whoever prepared the piano, as well as the engineer's know how to create that unforgettable/unique sound for that music piece/recording.

Expecting to call up a piano preset - is great and probably satisfies many needs, e.g, just getting the part composed - played and recorded as MIDI, or basic multi mic audio, then the icing on the cake is the differential treatment to each mic position - thinking and asking one's self - what are the laws of physics which influence how each of the microphone positions will alter the composite sound of the piano, in an approximation of a virtual multi-mic piano recording.
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

I dunno. Maybe I'm doing this all wrong, but I sit down and play the VSTi with a quality weighted controller, a high quality playback system and I either like it or I don't like it. And it usually takes a couple of minutes to decide, if that.

For me it's that simple.

Same as a real piano in fact.
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwise View Post
Interesting.. Imperfect Steinway and Truekeys German are great, but Kawai EX Pro is one of few libraries I regret buying.

How do you find the tonal change at different velocities with Kawai EX Pro? I couldn't stand the full-on tone of it that almost sound the same at any velocities...
Honestly I only listened to youtube videos of the Kawai haven't played it yet but good to know.
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
Honestly I only listened to youtube videos of the Kawai haven't played it yet but good to know.
I see. Then let me say this to you. Stay away from any piano libraries by Acousticsamples. I have another one of those and hate the tonality of it.

Most of their pianos have only 4 or 5 velocity layers and blending mic positions won't help the static character. What's worse, once you spend 70-110 Euros on one of those, resale value is close to none after iLok license transfer fee.

I honestly don't know what it was thinking when it bought it. Some online demos sound great, but they won't show you the truth. I've learned it big time...
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I dunno. Maybe I'm doing this all wrong, but I sit down and play the VSTi with a quality weighted controller, a high quality playback system and I either like it or I don't like it. And it usually takes a couple of minutes to decide, if that.

For me it's that simple.

Same as a real piano in fact.
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

Since I originally posted in this thread a lot of piano VSTi's have been released. My current go to piano is NI's The Grandeur. I'm loving this piano at the moment. I've got the whole Definitive Piano Collection and they are all great in their different ways but I keep coming back to The Grandeur. I've also just upgraded from Pianoteq 4 Pro to v5.6 Pro and am very impressed with how this library keeps developing! For some projects I actually prefer it to The Grandeur!
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

I also like The grandeur and is my go to right now, but I want another flavour than Steinway. Would really like to have threee or four sampled pianos from different brands: Bossie, Bechstein, Fazioli and Shigeru Kawai.
Old 17th June 2016
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
I also like The grandeur and is my go to right now, but I want another flavour than Steinway. Would really like to have threee or four sampled pianos from different brands: Bossie, Bechstein, Fazioli and Shigeru Kawai.
I've got The Grandeur and White Grand pulled up side by side. In my book, White Grand beats it hands down.

The Grandeur sounds kinda muffled and sounds thinner than White Grand.
Old 18th June 2016
Gear Maniac

I love "The Grandeur". It's the only piano vst that i enjoy playing besides my Korg Kronos.

In terms of sound/response/dynamics, i still have to find a piano vst that beats the Korg Kronos SGX-1 pianos.

But "The Grandeur" comes really really close. I Love it. It's the only piano vst that inspires me to write new stuff when i play it.
Old 18th June 2016
I have to echo what others are saying, my go to piano is The Grandeur also.
If I'm working on a piece where The Grandeur feels to big or full I then turn to The Gentleman which has a softer, more intimate sound.
I've tried heaps of great piano libraries and these (to me) feel the most natural to play, don't take up heaps of computer power, and don't need much work to fit into a mix.
Old 18th June 2016
Lives for gear

E-Instruments Session Keys. Specifically the Y.
Old 18th June 2016
Gear Maniac
I have Komplete and all the Ivory II pianos - plus a few others but the one library I could never give up are the Ivory II Uprights.

I have not heard the sounds you get there anywhere else - I often stick a UAD Fairchild plug on top and then it's time for some boogie woogie.

Pianoteq I've played with the demo and it's fine - but that's all. Doesn't light me up.

Ivory II Concert D I can load up and then it's three hours later...

For live - my Nord Stage 2 - how do they get those sounds into such a small size ? Unreal.

TBH, best Piano VST - you may as well ask what the best colour is.
Old 29th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
E-Instruments Session Keys. Specifically the Y.
I too am a "Y" fan -- even my sequencer's is OK -- and less harsh sounding than many Steinway emulations I've heard.

This one is just out, and is really reasonably priced right now, such that I'm thinking about purchasing. It too has been well received on VI-Control.

Cinematic Studio Piano

I have a thing for the Yamaha sound. Perhaps the piano records better for sampler library purposes, generally not as sharp (the best word I could come up with, perhaps biting is more accurate in some cases.) An ironic statement, I know, as often many view the Yamaha as having a sharper, or brighter, sound "in real life." Though certainly not incapable of traditional classical piano, and actually it is quite good, the Y model certainly excels at some more contemporary genres.
Old 29th June 2016
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
I love "The Grandeur". It's the only piano vst that i enjoy playing besides my Korg Kronos.

In terms of sound/response/dynamics, i still have to find a piano vst that beats the Korg Kronos SGX-1 pianos.

But "The Grandeur" comes really really close. I Love it. It's the only piano vst that inspires me to write new stuff when i play it.
Have you tried White Grand? The original is the best (not the MKII IMHO). It has 32 velocity layers plus 32 different samples per note.

White Grand
Old 29th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
Have you tried White Grand? The original is the best (not the MKII IMHO). It has 32 velocity layers plus 32 different samples per note.

White Grand
Nope i haven't. I checked the demos and it sounds bright(which is what i like).

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually in love at the moment with Galaxy's Vienna Grand as it fits my style like a glove.

So many piano vsts! Jeez, it's like a sea lol.

But honestly, with the updated new Kronos SGX-2 engine, i keep going back to playing its "German Grand" (which is a sampled Steinway D).
Old 29th June 2016
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope i haven't. I checked the demos and it sounds bright(which is what i like).

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually in love at the moment with Galaxy's Vienna Grand as it fits my style like a glove.

So many piano vsts! Jeez, it's like a sea lol.

But honestly, with the updated new Kronos SGX-2 engine, i keep going back to playing its "German Grand" (which is a sampled Steinway D).
I'll try to post a demo of White Grand soon.

The next I like is the Kawai EX Pro
Old 29th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
I'll try to post a demo of White Grand soon.

The next I like is the Kawai EX Pro
That would be great. Looking forward .
Old 29th June 2016
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
That would be great. Looking forward .

I'll also see if I can try the Galaxy II collection and do some AB's
Old 29th June 2016
Here for the gear

The Grandeur here as well as my go to piano. What's nice is that you can really tweak the sound the way you like, from fat and warm to tight and bright.
Old 30th June 2016
Lives for gear

what about hammersmith by soniccouture or impacts soundworks pearl? I have hammersmith, but havent gotten around to fully using it. I really love addictive keys. very good tone
Old 30th June 2016
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
what about hammersmith by soniccouture or impacts soundworks pearl? I have hammersmith, but havent gotten around to fully using it. I really love addictive keys. very good tone
I've tried the Hammersmith. For some reason I didn't like it that much. I haven't tried the Pearl yet. Listening to the a demo of the Pear now.

I might retry the Hammersmith.

The Pearl says it has only 8 velocity layers on a vid I'm watching. White Grand has 32.

I need more expression than 8. Piano in Blue is 8 I think, but sounds very good for a retro thing.
Old 30th June 2016
what no love for ravenscroft? https://www.vilabsaudio.com/
Old 30th June 2016
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjadams View Post
what no love for ravenscroft? https://www.vilabsaudio.com/
This is the one I'd like to try sometime. Trying to read up on how many velocity layers it has.
Old 30th June 2016
Gear Head

How does East West Pianos compare to the newer libraries released over the past couple years? That's what I have now and was wondering whether it was worth getting something else
Old 30th June 2016
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstevege View Post
How does East West Pianos compare to the newer libraries released over the past couple years? That's what I have now and was wondering whether it was worth getting something else
I bought East West when they were hot years ago. Didn't like them compared to White Grand and the other Sampletekk pianos.

They are bad per say. White Grand is a very old Malmsjo piano with lots of character that has be fined tune for studio work so it cuts like glass and has a tone that the other newer pianos just don't have.
Old 30th June 2016
Gear Maniac

emotional piano is pretty good for specific styles
📝 Reply