Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
Consolidating Tracks in Vegas
Old 5th August 2006
Gear nut

Consolidating Tracks in Vegas

Story: When I was getting started with all this crazy recording action I bought a Delta 1010 that came with a full copy of Vegas Audio. Not knowing any better I said to myself, "great! I won't have to buy any software." And at the time I didn't. I happily rolled along tracking and mixing my songs, pleased with myself at this stroke of serendipity.

Time goes by, and I become a wiser fool. I get into Pro Tools and Cubase and other toys of their like. So it hits me one day, given how much more powerful those programs are than Vegas, why don't I just import the audio into PT or Cubase, increasing my ability to overdub, re-edit and remix my old tracks, perhaps actually improving on them.

Nice theory. One irritating catch. Vegas (even the most recent versions, though I know it's predominantly a video program now...I did hold out a hope that they would correct this fault) does not have anything akin to a "Consolidate Tracks" feature...or "Duplicate", etc... In fact, it really deals with files quite poorly (a complaint I also have about Adobe Audition.) So I have all these edits in Vegas files with large gaps of blank space between them.

I appear to have two options. 1) Render each track individually (which is *very* time consuming I might add), plop them all in a common folder for the project and import them into the DAW of my choosing, OR 2) Spot each track into the DAW of my choosing one at a time (Vegas is at least kind enough to allow me to save an EDL as a text file so that I don't have to copy down all the timecode by hand.)

Am I missing any options? Suggestions? Anything? As always, much appreciated, both for the advice, and for not chastising me too heavily for using what was essentially a video program with audio capability to multitrack in my "youthful" enthusiasm (though to be fair, I never had any latency issues in Vegas.)

Old 5th August 2006
Lives for gear

If you got the latest version of Vegas you can export your session as AAF (advanced authoring format).

This can be opened by PT (HD/LE not MP !) with Digitranslator option (!) or with Nuendo.

I don't really know Vegas, but I can't imagine there isn't a way to render long audio files, you must be overlooking something...
Old 5th August 2006
Gear nut

I'll give that a shot. I have also stumbled on an interesting piece of software that reads Vegas EDL files, AND has a consolidate feature, so I may try that as well. Might be worth the $50 or so for the license. Called REAPER. Anyone know anything else about it?

Old 5th August 2006
Lives for gear

You can try out Reaper before you buy a license...

But there must be a way to consolidate files within Vegas as well....
Old 5th August 2006
Gear nut

I hope there is, and I've spent a lot of time looking, but I haven't found one. Also, Sony's tech support isn't sure what I'm talking about (I didn't think it was that obscure a concept.)

With any luck someone on gearslutz will have run into a similar problem and discovered Vegas' "Bounce Individual Tracks" function, or something similar. Your wisdom is appreciated on the matter, though. I am looking at AAFs, which to be honest I wasn't even aware of before you mentioned them. Learning something new!

Old 7th August 2006
Gear nut

Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search