The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New pc build for music production
Old 1st January 2013
Here for the gear

New pc build for music production

Guys,

Previously posted a thread on this subject but it was about 2 years ago and i never got around to building it Probably good as now i can get ivy bridge when it was sandy bridge last time round

This will be solely for music production - I use Ableton and currently im working on an i3 with 4Gb of RAM and the tracks im working on are at 100%. I use a LOT of effects etc so i really want something that can handle basically anything i can throw at it. Cost is not so much of an issue (within reason).

Here it is, any advice would be greatly appreciated as although i have picked up knowledge along the way im certainly not an expert;

CASE
Not sure - any recommendations? Something which dampens any sound well.

CPU
Intel Core i7-3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5Ghz

CPU COOLER
Not sure, store i recently visited for a spec advised a Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 but this was for a i7-3770 system - im looking to overclock the 3770k so would i need a better cooler? Would i be better with a water cooled system? Corsair H80 perhaps?

MOBO
Im thinking either;
ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe or Pro
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Asus Sabretooth

RAM
Looking for 2x8GB - Corsair vengance perhaps? Do i need to pay any attention to the X-X-X-X number (not sure what these actually mean) or is it simply a case of so long as its DDR3 DIMM 1.5V 240pins it will work?

SSD
Im thinking a 240/250GB SDD - any recommendations on one? The store previously quoted me on an Intel SATA 600.

HDD
Seagate Barracuda SATA 2 OR 3TB 7200RPM

SOUNDCARD
Asus Xonar STX (This is one component im fairly sure is perfect!)

GFX
Store previously spec'd EVGA GF GT 640 2GB DDR3 - not using the PC for gaming, would this be ok for my needs?

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE
Probably gonna go for a 2TB WD My passport or Toshiba 2TB

Monitors, periphals etc all sorted

Thanks,

John
Old 1st January 2013

Your link for the SSD is incorrect.

And yeah, if you're using tons of plugs, you definitely want to max your RAM out...

Of course we need to know what OS/version you're using, and what version of Ableton?

Old 1st January 2013
Here for the gear

Cheers for reply. I didnt post any links on the thread, strange that a link is showing up.

Im using live 8.2 and ill be installing windows 7 64bit version.

Cheers
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Head
Pretty close to my build, same proc and for the mo board i did the P8z77 Pro and have no complaints. For case i went the for the best sound cancellation I could find in the Antec P183. It's not cheap but it is nice. It is large too. Also upgraded the CPU cooloer to a NOCTUA|NH-U12P SE2 R. I would recommend going with 16GB of RAM as it's cheap and you wont' have to pay shipping later. I got 8GB free with my ASUS board so just bought the matching pair to get to 16GB. It's not the fastest RAM but the whole system is so quick with a SSD that I don't notice. I only have an SSD boot drive so I went with the Intel 330 series 120GB. I'm sure I'll get a T of HDD when I see a good sale. The graphics on the mother board support dual monitors and I didn't feel the need to upgrade so saved a bit there. Also don't see your power supply listed. I went with a SeaSonic X560 Gold and am quite happy. I have a really quiet setup and love it. I'm running Win 8 64 and Reaper. Good Luck!
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

1. If you plan to overclock it with h80 or h100 watercooling...Take a big case.
2. You'll have to upgrade to Live latest beta in order to run it on 64 bit.
3. Not sure to understand the choice of your soundcard....

Greetings.
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Asus Xoner? Never heard of it. Go with recommended sound from this board. That's my only advice. I have a FF800. Love it.

Steinberg MR816 gets a lot of love here. Focusrite. Echo. mbox 3.. babyface...apogee duet... there are many more on this board just investigate and you will be happy---cheers
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Case suggestions:
Fractal Design Define R4
Antec P183

PSU suggestions:
Seasonic G-Serie 550Watt
Seasonic G-Serie 650Watt
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600W

If you are not going to install a power hungry videocard, there is not need to get a PSU above 650Watt. Get a good brand PSU, don't save on it, and you will have enough when you pick something between 550 and 650watt.

SSD Suggestions:
Samsung 840 Pro
Samsung 830
Crucial M4

The Crucial M4 is not the fastest SSD anymore, I realize that, but it still is a fantastic SSD that has proven to be very reliable. It's in my DAW and I'm very happy with the performance!

I have heard good things about the OCZ Vector SSD, but I don't have first hand experience with it so I'm a little hesitant to put it in my list.
Old 2nd January 2013
Here for the gear

Cheers for comments guys, much appreciated.

With regards the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard, i did a little bit of investigation previously and this card was highly recommended, below are links to some reviews;

http://m.techradar.com/reviews/pc-ma...-583109/review
http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...nce_stx/10.htm

Working off an iphone which isnt allowing me to view the previous posts so ill probably need to post some more replies once ive read the comments after i send this!!

Cheers guys
Old 2nd January 2013
Here for the gear

Jodywa - is it the V3 version of the antec p183?

Sensorychaos - for watercolling u suggest a large case, is the above suitable? Jodywa mentioned that it is a large case but is it large enough?

Thanks, john
Old 3rd January 2013
Here for the gear

Solidtrax, thanks for comments

With regards psu, should i be going for fanless? Been reading articles on seasonic platinum series fanless 520w and it gets great reviews. But is 520w just too low? They do a 660w and a 760w also but not fanless. I would prefer fanless for noise reduction since its a music pc. Or am i getting confused ie so long as my soundcards signal to noise ratio is sufficient the psu fan hum doesnt affect my audio?? (The asus xonar essence stx i intend to install has 124db snr). Sorry for 101 questions but im inexperienced in this kinda stuff, appreciate ur help!!
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Yep, your sound card choice is perplexing. As far as I know, that's a gaming product and it's not suitable for pro audio.

If you only need two tracks (meaning you'll do everything ITB and only record voice/instruments one at a time) go with RME Babyface. You get top-notch pres, converters and drivers for a reasonable price (around $700.)

If you need multiple inputs (for example, to record a band live), consider the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 on the low-end (about $250 street) or the Roland Octa-capture (about $650 street) as a mid-price option. Unless you have a much greater budget and you can spring for an RME UFX (about $2,000.) All of these are USB 2.0 (although the UFX can also function as a FW interface.)
Old 3rd January 2013
Here for the gear

Music Production

'First time building a PC for music production'. I'm going to be putting together my first attempt at a home build digital audio workstation. Like, Headphones are great for music production
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djjonig View Post
Solidtrax, thanks for comments

With regards psu, should i be going for fanless? Been reading articles on seasonic platinum series fanless 520w and it gets great reviews. But is 520w just too low? They do a 660w and a 760w also but not fanless. I would prefer fanless for noise reduction since its a music pc. Or am i getting confused ie so long as my soundcards signal to noise ratio is sufficient the psu fan hum doesnt affect my audio?? (The asus xonar essence stx i intend to install has 124db snr). Sorry for 101 questions but im inexperienced in this kinda stuff, appreciate ur help!!
520W Seasonic Platinum is probably powerfull enough, I just don't think it's a wise idea to go fanless for a PSU, because the noise you get out of a good PSU with fan is probably way less than any casefan or watercooling system will produce. If you want the best PSU I have ever worked with, go for the amazing Seasonic Platinum Series 660 Watt PSU. This PSU doesn't come cheap, but you will love it. I should have put it in my list in the first place, but I guess I was looking for more affordable solutions and forgot this beast! heh

The reason why I love this PSU, besides the fact it is extremely reliable and rock solid is because of this:
http://www.seasonicusa.com/Platinum_Series_XP2.htm
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Head

Buy a Coolermaster HAF932 case, it's great for this kind of setup and super cool
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
With regards the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard, i did a little bit of investigation previously and this card was highly recommended,

That card is for games. You will be much happier with "tried and true" and the name asus does not come up on any audio recording sites.... just an FYI

Search "full duplex" and the science of writing drivers for a device that could be playing back 10 tracks while you are trying to record 1, 2 or 3 additional tracks at the same time.

In any case good luck with your new rig
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
That card is for games. You will be much happier with "tried and true" and the name asus does not come up on any audio recording sites.... just an FYI

Search "full duplex" and the science of writing drivers for a device that could be playing back 10 tracks while you are trying to record 1, 2 or 3 additional tracks at the same time.

In any case good luck with your new rig
+1

There is no place for an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard in a DAW, it's simply not build for that purpose at all!

Physically there is place for it of course, but you know what I mean..
Old 3rd January 2013
Here for the gear

Cheers for further comments guys.... Ok im officially confused, seems my investigation work has takenme up a dead end then in respect of soundcard. The guy at the store i visited also suggested it which was why i thought great, thats def the card to go with!! Can you recommend a suitable soundcard for my needs? At the mo im only using a novation remote 25sl midi keyboard/controller. Will eventually like to connect up other stuff but at mo just the midi controller. Any ideas??

Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for all your comments guys, new proposed build now as follows, comments welcomed if some components arent compatible with each other;

1 CASE NZXT Phantom-001 (White) 99.74
2 PSU Seasonic M12II-620 Bronze 88.22
3 CPU Intel Core i7-3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5Ghz 243.00
4 CPU COOLER Corsair Hydro H100 (Water) 85.98
5 MOBO Asrock Z77 Extreme4 101.98
6 RAM Corsair Memory XMS3 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) 59.95
7 SSD Samsung 830 Series 256 GB Internal SSD Serial ATA-600 2.5" MZ-7PC256D 178.46
8 HDD Seagate Barracuda 3 TB Internal hard drive Serial ATA-600 3.5" 101.09
9 SOUNDCARD M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Audio interface - 96 kHz - 24-bit 64.00
10 GFX EVGA GT640 NVIDIA SINGLE SLOT GRAPHICS CARD - 2GB 67.49

Total £1089.91

I still need to add 2 monitors and an external portable 2tb back up hdd. I already have Windows 7 64bit and mouse, keyboard etc. So all in all looks like this build will be around £1500.00, but this should last me a number of years for solely music production?

Please let me know your thoughts, my first build and i think it looks quite good.

Thanks,

John
Old 3rd January 2013
Here for the gear

btw, just noticed that for some reason a lot of my text contains links to sites (ie CPU goes to Currys site) - no idea why this happened, i didnt embed any links. I have a spreadsheet detailing the sellers and everything will be either or Ebuyer, Scan.co.uk and Amazon.

Cheers
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

If you plan on running any massive sample streaming libraries you'd be wise to consider getting another internal hard drive - 2 x 1.5Tb is going to be better than 1 x 3Tb

SSD - Operating System & Programs
HDD1 - Audio projects
HDD2 - Sample Libraries
Old 3rd January 2013
Here for the gear

Hi Jonesy,

Not clued up in these kind of things unfortunately; does having 2 separate HDD's help make the PC faster, is that the logic behind having 2? Sounds good to me!

Just checked a track i have which is probably at about 80-90% capacity of where it will end up and thats 1.2GB, so even allowing 2GB per finished track a 1.5TB would allow 768 tracks. That probably seems more than enough for me, would it an idea to go with 1TB for projects, 2tb for samples etc?

Thanks,

John
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

It means you'll be using the hard drives more efficiently.

Expecting one drive to stream samples and play audio at the same time might lead to bottlenecking i.e. dropouts at crucial times.

1TB for projects should last you a few years.

Make sure your HD's are 7200RPM

What about backups? You need to figure this in - I would recommend an external USB for backups. It doesn't have to be lightning fast but avoid any sort of "Green" version.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

games?

isnt this a music/audio production computer?

the only soundcard you need is your interface

you can use the realtek audio chip for regular listening

---

Case: Antec Solo (or better...)

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth

CPU: i7 sounds good (i use stock coolers, i dont overclock and **** they suffice)

Video: i always buy nVidia YMMV... a basic low profile decent card like a GT640 for $100

HDD(s): maybe an SSD & 1 or 2 WD blacks (or better...)

Optical: may as well get a bluray burner.. a $60 LiteOn 112 (or better...)

1394: an SiiG 3 port PCIe card (or better...)

input: a lightweight wireless keyboard, i like the k360's in dark-silver & a laser mouse something like an m310

--toss in win7 64bit, daw & interface and that'll give you a fairly cheap decent system
Old 3rd January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
games?

isnt this a music/audio production computer?

Not sure what you're meaning? It is solely a music production PC

the only soundcard you need is your interface

you can use the realtek audio chip for regular listening

This is where i get really confused

If i dont include a separate soundcard such as the one i listed, how do i get sound - does the mobo come with a basic soundcard capability (ie includes the realtek audio chip you refer to???)
If thats the case then great, i can add to the money i was going to spend and get an external audio interface. My plan long term was to get one of these but as i say im a bit confused on how this all works. I had previously posted re this topic a coupla years back and had varying conflicting info....

I just assumed that the sound is generated via a soundcard and that not having one means no sound?

---

Case: Antec Solo (or better...)

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth

CPU: i7 sounds good (i use stock coolers, i dont overclock and **** they suffice)

Video: i always buy nVidia YMMV... a basic low profile decent card like a GT640 for $100

HDD(s): maybe an SSD & 1 or 2 WD blacks (or better...)

Optical: may as well get a bluray burner.. a $60 LiteOn 112 (or better...)

1394: an SiiG 3 port PCIe card (or better...)

input: a lightweight wireless keyboard, i like the k360's in dark-silver & a laser mouse something like an m310

--toss in win7 64bit, daw & interface and that'll give you a fairly cheap decent system
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

these mobos will usually have an embedded sound chip by realtek, via, intel etc

this is generally an audio/musician forum so i assumed the computer would be for recording music and whatnot

---

regarding sound cards, on my machine with softsynths i actually have 4 "soundcards"

the bulit in realtek whic is disabled

an audiophile 192

a delta 1010 rack which is synced to the audiophile

and an esi gigaport hd that i use as output for softsynths
Old 3rd January 2013
Here for the gear

Im even more confused now!!! 4 soundcards!!! Wow

So basically, i can run with the soundcard on the mobo, buy an external interface and im sorted!?

Any recs on one? Bear in mind this is my first build so something obviously good but not bank account shattering lol

Thanks again
Old 3rd January 2013
Here for the gear

Just looked into the gigaport hd+. At the mo im using a novation remote 25sl midi controller. If i got the above interface would this serve my needs? Is all very confusing to a novice.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Im even more confused now!!! 4 soundcards!!! Wow

So basically, i can run with the soundcard on the mobo, buy an external interface and im sorted!?

Any recs on one? Bear in mind this is my first build so something obviously good but not bank account shattering lol

Thanks again
Yes

What you need in terms of an interface really depends on how many tracks you will will be recording simultaneously.

If it's just you recording say guitar, vocals then a simple 2 input device will probably suffice.

If you're planning on recording drums/bands then you'll need something with a lot more IO
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

^ what they said

---

for your build also get a good power supply look at seasonic, etc

also i always buy basic kingston 1333 memory, **** is compatable with everything never felt the need for that fancy stuff with weird looking heatspreaders and whatnot... maybe $70 for a 4gb x4 kit
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
btw, just noticed that for some reason a lot of my text contains links to sites (ie CPU goes to Currys site) - no idea why this happened, i didnt embed any links. I have a spreadsheet detailing the sellers and everything will be either or Ebuyer, Scan.co.uk and Amazon.

Cheers
You have malware in your browser that turns keywords into links. Get rid of it.

This will help you:

How To Remove Text Enhance Spam And Malware/Adware Hover Text Links | Botcrawl.com
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search