The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New pc build for music production
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear
Here is my recent build. Went with a gigabyte mobo over asus and couldn't be happier, even though I have yet to find any use for the dual thunderbolt ports. Currently using igpu with dual monitors no problemo.

Newegg.com - Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition CO-9050002-WW 120mm Twin Pack High Airflow Case Fan
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997069
Newegg.com - ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED Black 23" 7ms (GTG) IPS-Panel HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor frameless design Built-in Speakers
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF XB RC-902XB-KKN1 Black Steel body, Front Mesh, Plastic bezel ATX Desktop Computer Case
Newegg.com - Bgears Fan Filter 80mm Fan filter with easy removable cover and washable foam filter
Newegg.com - ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm Case Fan
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with Dual Thunderbolt
Newegg.com - Seasonic SS-760XP ATX 12V/EPS 12V, 760W, 80 plus PLATINUM certified PFC Power Supply –
Newegg.com - Saitek Eclipse II Illuminated Keyboard
Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) - Operating Systems
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-MFJR-07FK-R1 200mm Case Fan
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear
Xonar Essence STX - no input stereo output - pci-e
Xonar Essence ST - single jack input* stereo output - pci - also it has some kind of jitter reduction engine not present on the stx

* I haven't tried recording anything yet, but there is only 1 jack - it could be stereo.

Both can be upgraded to 7.1 with a daughterboard- not sure you'd need that though.

I have the ST and with Asus' ASIO drivers I have no issues playing multitrack in Cubase 6.5.4 (not interested in 7.bloatware). Be wary of the pro audio...reservations - Asus have made a perfectly acceptable card for DAW use. I wonder if the people slamming this card have actually used it?

Sound is impeccable. I prefer it to prosumer stuff and even RME! It's probably up there with my old Lynx L22, but that was years ago so I can't really comment reliably. But suffice it to say, for mixing this card kicks. The hi fi reviews are spot on. There are plenty of mods you can make too - simple ones like changing the op amps to more complex things like changing clock, caps etc. I might try swapping op amps for a few $ if I can be bothered to dig out my long nose pliers, but the rest is definite hobbyist kinda stuff.

I haven't plugged my pre into it yet so can't comment on the AD. Also, you can only use rca outs OR headphones, but that's not usually a biggie.

Anyway, the drivers for st and stx are the same so you would be ok with either card, just remember stx is out only.
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djjonig View Post
Thanks for all your comments guys, new proposed build now as follows, comments welcomed if some components arent compatible with each other;

1 CASE NZXT Phantom-001 (White) 99.74
2 PSU Seasonic M12II-620 Bronze 88.22
3 CPU Intel Core i7-3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5Ghz 243.00
4 CPU COOLER Corsair Hydro H100 (Water) 85.98
5 MOBO Asrock Z77 Extreme4 101.98
6 RAM Corsair Memory XMS3 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) 59.95
7 SSD Samsung 830 Series 256 GB Internal SSD Serial ATA-600 2.5" MZ-7PC256D 178.46
8 HDD Seagate Barracuda 3 TB Internal hard drive Serial ATA-600 3.5" 101.09
9 SOUNDCARD M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Audio interface - 96 kHz - 24-bit 64.00
10 GFX EVGA GT640 NVIDIA SINGLE SLOT GRAPHICS CARD - 2GB 67.49

Total £1089.91

I still need to add 2 monitors and an external portable 2tb back up hdd. I already have Windows 7 64bit and mouse, keyboard etc. So all in all looks like this build will be around £1500.00, but this should last me a number of years for solely music production?

Please let me know your thoughts, my first build and i think it looks quite good.

Thanks,

John
Case
Wow, it might be a good case but crap, it's ugly! I would never even consider something that ugly for my DAW. Something like the Antec P183 has so much more style.. buy I guess everyone is entitled to their own taste/opinion so I'm not going to continue with my rant.

PSU
Thumbs up for the brand (Seasonic), thumbs down for the model. It is only 80PLUS Bronze certified. That was ok 4 years ago, but it's 2013 at the moment! I would strongly advice to pick up a good brand PSU with at least an 80PLUS Gold rating! You will save money because it's way more efficient, the PSU will not get as hot and as a result, the fan will make less noise as it doesn't have to work that hard.

Soundcard
I used to have that soundcard, 12 years ago or something. It might be still a good soundcard, but the EMU 1212m PCI Express (I know, not exactly a new card either) is better in almost everything, and yes, more expensive. Something like the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB is also nice. If you want something real good and you are willing to spend more money.. The Steinberg MR816 X is very good considering how much it cost imho.

GFX
You really want a dedicated videocard? the HD4000 integrated in the CPU you have chosen is more than capable of feeding two monitors. And it doesn't hurt to first try it without. It's easy to install a videocard in a working PC when you feel the need for it anyway.
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
Case
Wow, it might be a good case but crap, it's ugly!
Agreed, it's a gaming case. Certainly not built for silence.

Quote:
PSU
Thumbs up for the brand (Seasonic), thumbs down for the model. It is only 80PLUS Bronze certified. That was ok 4 years ago, but it's 2013 at the moment! I would strongly advice to pick up a good brand PSU with at least an 80PLUS Gold rating! You will save money because it's way more efficient, the PSU will not get as hot and as a result, the fan will make less noise as it doesn't have to work that hard.
Also important is to select a PSU slightly bigger than your needs. Not only will it make your life easier, but adding stuff later (extra internal drives etc.) wouldn't create problems. I usually recommend +50% than strict requirements (i.e. if components in your computer use 400W, get a 600W model.)

Quote:
Soundcard
The Steinberg MR816 X is very good considering how much it cost imho.
I would get RME UCX. Or if you don't need 8 analog inputs, RME Babyface. RME drivers = peace of mind.

Quote:
GFX
You really want a dedicated videocard? the HD4000 integrated in the CPU you have chosen is more than capable of feeding two monitors. And it doesn't hurt to first try it without. It's easy to install a videocard in a working PC when you feel the need for it anyway.
Well, that is a non-issue in 2013, since many modern mobos have universal switchable graphics, meaning that you can always switch between integrated graphics and GPU. Heck, you can do that automatically, just by assigning an application to either one. So, you can assign your DAW to integrated graphics and your games and video editors to the GPU.
Old 21st February 2013
Here for the gear

Hi, little late on this thread and a first post on the forum

I'm putting together a build as well but first in reply to the OP:

Like everyone else has said, don't bother with a PCI soundcard. You will be running an audio interface (ie external soundcard) anyways. Even if the mobo didn't have a built in audio chipset, the interface will function as a DAC through whatever connector you use (FireWire/USB)

On that note, I would definitely suggest getting a FireWire PCIe connector, since a lot of hardware is moving that direction (or has moved). I also chose a mobo that supports Thunderbolt through eSATA because I have an inkling that hardware will be moving that way soon as well (especially considering Mac is replacing FireWire with Thunderbolt on their new macbooks).

On the hard drive thing, you will want pretty much anything you will run while producing on a SSD, otherwise you will hear HD click (even with a good DAC/isolation). How I'm approaching this is with 3 drives, 1 64GB SSD dedicated to the OS/background systems, one 240GB SSD for music applications and such, and a 2 TB 7600 HD for static storage. Another reason for the SSD too is that it will pretty much ensure you won't have disc lag when you pull a bunch of samples in Ableton at once (one of my huge pet peeves if I am putting together long mixes in arrangement view).

I second the Seasonic platinum for power supply as being quiet. I have the 520W one down now but I'll probably go bigger than that.

For cooling I read somewhere that the Intel liquid cooler (Intel BXRTS2011LC) was quieter so I'm going with that instead. For fans I took an hour or two on a few sites looking for the quietest fans for the case I chose that moved enough air for what I anticipated.

Now my build:

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

NZXT Phantom PHAN-002OR Newegg Exclusive Black Finish w/Orange Trim Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

TOSHIBA PH3200U-1I72 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SeaSonic SS-520FL 520W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

VANTEC 3-Port FireWire 400 PCIe Host Card Model UGT-FW200

2 x CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10

ASUS Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770
NZXT FS-200RB 200mm SLIENT Case Fan

2 x COUGAR CF-V12HPB Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 12CM Silent Cooling Fan with Pulse Width Modulation (Black)

Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled Thermal Solution For the LGA2011 Socket

Intel 335 Series Jay Crest SSDSC2CT240A4K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3-64GM-C 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Windows 7

As a disclaimer I am also planning on using this PC for SolidWorks. I'm also upgrading from a Mackie Blackjack and NI audio 2 to a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40. I'm basically doing this because I'm a mechanical engineer who started getting into music production, found out the hard way that audio processing takes a lot more bump, got annoyed with my Lenovo X220 and decided anything worth doing is worth over doing.

I chose the mobo for its ports (and Thunderbolt compatibility). Case was chosen because the NZXT 200mm fan was very quiet (and because it looks pretty cool, even though its not really going to be in the same room as me for the most part). Not planning on OCing too much so I chose the best priced i7 with a high base frequency. Probably would have gone with AMD if it weren't for the lack of PCIe 3 support (which is a must for FireWire expansion). Oh yeah, also I despise windows 8 (and also OSX).

I think total cost came out to about $1600, which for reference is only $100 more than the base MacBook Pro.

Anyways, long post. Please give me any feedback you have.

PS Yeah I when I posted it linked a bunch of stuff. That wasn't me, and a ton of it is wrong. I think everything is ultimately coming from Newegg

Last edited by WithYouInRocklan; 21st February 2013 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: PS
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Addict

i feel sorry for the OP

OP dude, you need to google "audio interface"

it will probably be the most expensive component in your rig. good ones will cost more than your whole pc.

Audio Interfaces | Sweetwater.com
Old 16th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Xonar Essence STX - no input stereo output - pci-e
Xonar Essence ST - single jack input* stereo output - pci - also it has some kind of jitter reduction engine not present on the stx

* I haven't tried recording anything yet, but there is only 1 jack - it could be stereo.

Both can be upgraded to 7.1 with a daughterboard- not sure you'd need that though.

I have the ST and with Asus' ASIO drivers I have no issues playing multitrack in Cubase 6.5.4 (not interested in 7.bloatware). Be wary of the pro audio...reservations - Asus have made a perfectly acceptable card for DAW use. I wonder if the people slamming this card have actually used it?

Sound is impeccable. I prefer it to prosumer stuff and even RME! It's probably up there with my old Lynx L22, but that was years ago so I can't really comment reliably. But suffice it to say, for mixing this card kicks. The hi fi reviews are spot on. There are plenty of mods you can make too - simple ones like changing the op amps to more complex things like changing clock, caps etc. I might try swapping op amps for a few $ if I can be bothered to dig out my long nose pliers, but the rest is definite hobbyist kinda stuff.

I haven't plugged my pre into it yet so can't comment on the AD. Also, you can only use rca outs OR headphones, but that's not usually a biggie.

Anyway, the drivers for st and stx are the same so you would be ok with either card, just remember stx is out only.
does the xonar STX supports ASIO? i couldnt find nothing on their website. but i did see it on Titainium HD site that it does supports ASIO. if it does, let me know, and whats the latency?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search